Problem with Unicycle manufactured by Hans Helmig

Very new to this sport so hope someone can help me.

My partner bought me a 20" unicycle from a company in Germany for Xmas ( i am in UK). Instructions are in German so struggling a little to set it up. I thought i had it setup correctly correct pedals on the correct side etc. However, right pedal keeps working loose. I find that i can’t get a spanner to the nut fixes the crank to the axle and am only able to hand tighten.

is there a tool or a trick to tighten this.

Looking forward to your answers as i can’t wait to get back to practising.

Thanks

An ordinary spanner won’t fit in the hole in the crank, you need a pedal wrench. Luckily they’re cheap and your local bike shop should be able to sell you one.
I got my cranks to stay tight by putting a piece of wood over the crank and hitting it with a hammer before tightening the bolt. That might not be the best way to do it, so I recomend you search the forum e.g. for “loose crank”. That would give you lots of suggestions from people who know more about installing cranks than I do.

Good luck.

Morten

P.S.
Do not ride the unicycle if the crank feels loose, it will damage both crank and hub.

Do you mean the crank is coming loose (rather than the pedal)? If so, and assuming it’s a cotterless crank (like the most common bike type) you should be able to do up the bolt with a socket (usually 14mm, but sometimes 15mm). You won’t be able to do it with a normal spanner. It needs to be pretty tight to stop it working loose (something like 40 lb ft if you have access to a torque wrench, which is almost as tight as you can get it with a normal short-handled socket wrench). Don’t ride it with a loose crank or you’ll damage the crank and axle and it’ll never stay tight.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Rob

EDIT: Somebody got there before me. See how helpful we all are :smiley:

Re: Problem with Unicycle manufactured by Hans Helmig

In message
<52df2329444cf06a7d72d16d96c4a255.20pnc1@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyc
list.com>, grahamhopper
<grahamhopper@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes
>
>Very new to this sport so hope someone can help me.
>
>My partner bought me a 20" unicycle from a company in Germany for Xmas
>( i am in UK).

Quax? Instructions in English here that may be relevant:

<http://www.unicycle.uk.com/images/quaxinstructions.jpg>

> Instructions are in German so struggling a little to set
>it up. I thought i had it setup correctly correct pedals on the correct
>side etc. However, right pedal keeps working loose. I find that i can’t
>get a spanner to the nut fixes the crank to the axle and am only able
>to hand tighten.

Do you mean crank or pedal is working loose? If the pedal, are you
mounting them on the correct side? More accurately, are you riding the
uni the right way round? The seat clamp bolt must be to the rear. The LH
pedal screws in anticlockwise (the un-natural way), is usually marked
“L” on the end of the thread, and often is knurled at the end of the
axle where it screws into the crank. You’ll need a thin 15 mm box end
spanner to tighten it.

Wassail!

Martin E Phillips nb Boden, Splatt Bridge
http://www.g4cio.demon.co.uk martin/at/g4cio/dot/demon/dot/co/dot/uk
Homebrewing, black pudding, boats, morris dancing, ham radio and more!
The Gloucester-Sharpness canal page http://www.glos-sharpness.org.uk

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Its the crank, not the pedal that is coming loose.

The only sockets i have a too large to fit in the recess in the crank, but i will try a bike shop later today.

Found a great thread here on the different types of crank attachments, maintenance etc: search for Crank Interfaces in Unicycling Articles and Tutorials. (Does anyone know how to insert a link to a thread?)

Cheers

My local bike shop sorted out the cranks for me. Looking forward to getting started again now.

Thanks again for all the advice.

In the thread in question, click in the Address window of your browser to highlight the link.

CTRL-C to copy the link.

In the post where you want to insert the link, click on the little Insert Link button above the text-entry field. It looks like a little figure-8 lying on its side on top of a little planet earth.

When the user prompt window opens, type CTRL-V to paste in the link you’ve previously copied. Hit the enter key to bring the code for the link into your post.

From there, just type the text you want to have highlighted for the link, move your cursor outside the little bracket, and finish the rest of your message.

Example: this link to MSN Search should look like the code below when it’s in your message.

URL=“http://search.msn.com/”]MSN Search

There might be easier ways, but that’s how I do it and it works.