Read this thread first: http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44948
Well, this morning I finally got around to powdercoating a second frame; my Carrot-Orange Summit. I am very pleased with the results. The following is a step-by-step guide that I documented for those that are unfamiliar with the process of powdercoating.
PICTURES 1 & 2
- remove frame from unicycle
- grind/sand/strip paint off of frame until it is down to shiny, bare metal. (this process takes the longest. it took me almost 2 hours)
- hang frame from oven rack in powdercoating booth
PICTURES 3 & 4
- clean frame with acetone to remove grease and dirt
- spray powder using the gun until entire frame is covered in color
- slide tray into old electric oven and bake frame for ~20 minutes or until powder has “flowed” out to a smooth texture.
- remove tray from oven
- admire your new frame’s beauty while you wait for it to cool
Entire process from start to finish: almost 3 hours. But it was worth it!
- Summit Frame
- Snafu Concave Pedals
- KH '03-'04 Wheelset
- KH cut-down Fusion Seat
Who else thinks she’s beautiful?
I have had several requests to powdercoat anything from BC Wheel Plates to custom frames. If you would like a something powdercoated, please send me an e-mail email@example.com. I am still debating whether or not to set up a little powdercoating business for fellow unicyclers or not. But shoot me an e-mail and we can talk. Rates still to be decided.
For more pics, look at my gallery http://unicyclist.com/gallery/?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=31067