Post your DX32 problems

i am upgrading my 19" trials rim to an Arrow racing rim because my DX32 was not cutting it. Has anyone else had any problems with a DX32 before? Has anyone else destroyed a DX32 before?

In what way(s) was it not cutting it?

indeed, i am pretty sure that i bent my dx, i did a 6’5" drop onto rocks and didnt do a roll out.

but i dont know how a rim cant cut it unless you broke/bent it?

It’s a great wheel.

Equipment isn’t unbreakable, you need to take care of it. Keep pressure in it to where you’re not tapping the ground with the wheel and it’s darn strong!

Evan (yes, this is total uni with a different sn. Notice how his AIM sn is the same), of course you broke you frickin’ rim. Anyone of decent size would break their DX32 on a 6.5’ drop onto rocks with poor form.

Ryan has broken 2 or 3 DX-32s. He rides an arrow now. Zack Baldwin has knocked one out of true multiple times, and I’m prtty sure he’s also broken one. I’ve dented one before, but that’s top be expected when your air pressure is way too low during natural trials.

Keep your wheel well trued and well tensioned, and it should be fine. Rims are not really where the strength of a wheel lies. The skill of the wheelbuilder can have a much greater effect on strength. I carry a spoke wrench with me in my tool kit so I can catch loose spokes before they become a problem. People at Moab 2004 may have noticed Kris truing and tensioning his muni wheel near the end of slickrock.

I loved my 19" DX32, I had done a near 8’ drop on it without rolling right away and found not even a slight bend. That was back when I weighed about 245lbs.

I have knocked it out of true many times but that is a quick fix. Recently, I found that the seam on my DX32 is splitting.

Hey,

I haven’t had any problems with my 19" DX32 at all. I was just wondering though: how often should I get the wheel trued. I’ve only been riding it since mid-September…and haven’t gone out and done serious riding since early november, because Michigan weather is not the best. I’ve probably ridden near 40 times, and haven’t done anything too big or heavy in my trials riding, being that I’m pretty new to 19" uni’s and having my riding being specifically targeted to trials. How often should I rotate my Profiles on the axle? On Kris’s website, it says to rotate the cranks 90 degrees, and grease and check everything every 30-40 rides. I’m riding a KH pro, with the said parts, and a thompson post, KH rail adapter (which I don’t even run brakes, so maybe I’ll eventually seek out something lighter), and a standard 04 KH seat, and Onza (Luna) tire. I’ve been rotating the tire to avoid flat spots, but other than that I’ve just made sure everything is tight, and in proper working order. Do you think a bikeshop could take care of my cranks and lube work, and truing my rim? I’d like to eventually learn, but I want my uni skills to be awesome before I feel like I’m good enough to possibly damage a hardcore uni. I’m getting there, but not with these harsh winters…

Thanks,

Evan (and no, not the same Evan as totaluni. My only other screen name has been Mt. Uni)

IMHO you should develop your maintenance skills along with your riding. Do searches here on Profile and you find lots of good tips on maintaining the hub.

As far as the tension goes, get it checked by the LBS. At the same time, buy the correct spoke wrench from them and ask for some tips. You will need to build up a relationship with them so that they will go out of the way for you with your special uni needs.

any new wheel will eventually need to be retentioned as spokes settle in the hub, and stretch a little. the time depends on how much you ride/weigh, and how you ride. You will know when you can easily flex two parellel spokes on one side of the wheel or when you notice that some are tighter than others. I neglected mine for a while, and well, you know what happened.

truing a wheel is so easy, it is a waste to pay someone to do it for you. google it. same goes for your cranks. i used to take my profiles apart and regrease them about once every six months, at one point they started their famous creaking but that went away on it’s own. I havn’t taken them apart in years and they’re fine.

flat spots have never bothered me, I don’t think tire rotation is nescessary unless you are worried about going through the tire.

EDIT: uturn beat me to it, his advice on wheel truing is better anyway.

I have had no problems

I split the Rim on my original DX32. The one I have right now is doing fine. But since it was free I plan to upgrade to Arrow Racing.

I had a 24" Arrow rim on my bike wich took all the abuse I could throw at it. I suck at biking and was landing drops horribly. I love how they leave the fat bead on the rim instead of grinding it down for looks. Now that my Alex rim is breaking I have an excuse to buy one.

Re: Post your DX32 problems

“onetrack” <onetrack@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> any new wheel will eventually need to be retentioned as spokes settle in
> the hub, and stretch a little. the time depends on how much you
> ride/weigh, and how you ride.

This is true for wheels built with relatively low spoke tension -
under heavy loads, the spokes relax and the nipples can unscrew. Well
built wheels will stay taut for a long time.

> truing a wheel is so easy, it is a waste to pay someone to do it for
> you. google it. same goes for your cranks. i used to take my profiles
> apart and regrease them about once every six months, at one point they
> started their famous creaking but that went away on it’s own. I havn’t
> taken them apart in years and they’re fine.

Getting a wheel true may not be very hard, but doing a good job takes
some practice. The trick is not just truing the wheel, but keeping it
round and getting approximately even tension on all the spokes. I
have found it very challenging to attempt to true a badly built wheel.
Much harder than building a wheel in the first place. Indeed it can
be easier to just loosen all the spokes and start over. That’s my
experience, anyway.

Ken