Post Your Current Projects Here

Looking forward to see that! I did my first wheelbuild a year ago and figured it’s not too hard, just really time consuming to get it nice and true (for a first timer)

Building wheels makes me hate life, I try to not build them often

it gets a bit frustrating every now and then :smiley: though for me the building itself isn’t that bad but the truing is a whole another story…

Here she is! Looks a lot like a stock KH though… It’s just waiting for the t-bar and some final tuning and tweaking :slight_smile: I rode it to have to say that the shorter (down to 110 from 150) cranks make a HUGE difference! There was no saddle soreness at all, even without handlebars and a lot less side-to-side movement. The brake (well, just the disc) is coming next week!

Cool! Is that a Quax rim? Where did you get it?

First post here, first unicycle project… So I found this lonely looking Sun unicycle in a second-hand store for a negligible price, and having seen Red’s Dream a few times, I felt like it needed a nice home. I liked the look of the wide white stripe tire and it’s a nice step up in size from the 20" I’ve been learning on.

It seemed mostly ok except that the crank arms were loose. I hoped that all it needed was to have the nuts tightened, but when I got it home I found that the crank threads were destroyed and the nuts were jammed in place on them. And as I gooned them off, one of the threaded stubs snapped and half of it came off inside the nut.

No problem, I thought. I hacksawed the rest of the stubs off the hub, took the wheel apart, then got a pair of crank arm fixing bolts, an M8x1.0mm thread tap, and a 9/32" drill bit (close enough to 7mm for twist drill purposes) and turned it from a “he” hub into “she” hub. I wouldn’t call it an economically justifiable repair except that I’ve already bought tools and I look for things to do or else feel bad about not using them. It was good skill building practice, and the anxiety level was low because it was all junk already so there wasn’t much to lose at worst.

While the wheel was apart, I shot a couple of coats of red paint onto the rim for a little bit of a retro/rat-rod look. I like how it goes with the wide whitewall and it seems more cheerful. Some shopworn but serviceable rubber block pedals continue the theme.

I just rode it for the first time. The 6" cranks need quite a bit more commitment than the 5" ones I’ve been using on my other uni, but it seems good so far.

Wow, nice job!

That look daunting! Im working on a tubeless fat tire at this moment

Thanks! It was a nice project, enough to it that I needed to find my thinking cap a few times, but I ended up with what I wanted without hitting any big walls. And Harbor Freight products again–a lathe this time to go along with my Western Safety unicycling gloves.

It was manageable.:slight_smile: Don’t be put off by the lathe carriage with the knobs and dials and stuff. I didn’t use that at all for this. It’s in the way in the photo because it had to be somewhere and it was out of the way of my hands there. I just used the chuck (the part that’s holding the hub flange) and also the tailstock (which isn’t in that picture) for holding the bits when I drilled the holes before tapping them. A drill press might have worked about as well. I wouldn’t want to try to do it with just hand tools though.

Lol, there happens to be a harbor freight lathe in our garage. And some harbor freight gloves in the basement.

Excellent! Some people know where to find the good stuff. (Although there are plenty of things there that are best avoided too.) Also the bearing puller/separator set I used to get those bearings off the hub… You guessed it.

That pretty much sums harbor freight up. If you look around and decide which things to buy you can get some nice stuff. Or you can get junk that you don’t mind abusing because you paid so little for it :p.

From my old 36er!

Hey guys,

I’ve done my last enduro MTB race for the next month or so, so I have decided to go ahead and convert my unicycles to disc brakes. Here is my brand new DH specific 26" QX Series Muni. A big thanks to Mark Wharton at unicyle.com.au and David at Qu-Ax unicycles in Germany for the sponsorship that made this possible.

It is stock apart from a few things. TI bearing bolt set, Thompson adjustable seatpost, UDC carbon fiber seat base and KH slim foam, welgo MG-1s, and my own ‘half nelson’ handle bar design. I have only taken it for a spin around the yard but I can tell i’m going to love the extra control and stopping power of the disc brake.

It went together really easily, Nice touches by QX include the bolt on disc brake (no fiddling with adapters and all that), brake line clips along the fork legs. The new cranks look nice too.

Here are some pics- I’ll hopefully get out for a ride some time this week and let you know how I like it.

Mark

Got mr.larry set up tubeless and man it’s a sweet tire

Mr. S. Larry I presume? :wink:

Nope just mr

No, S for Mr. Surly, not to change Mr. into Mrs.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, so you sir are correct

Guys- please! Don’t go clogging up threads with inane chit chat that would be better done through facebook or a messenger service. Lots of people trawl these threads looking for specific bits of information and the more you dilute the good content with one liners that add nothing much to the discussion the more frustrated they get.

The end result is you get people who are great resources for information deciding to not engage with the forums- which is a huge loss for the community. Haven’t seen much from Corbin, Tony, Jamie M, steveyo, Ken, Munirocks etc lately…