Post Your Current Projects Here

Ok, I’ll admit that I didn’t just grab a coker and hop on but it wasn’t nearly as hard to ride as I thought. 36ers are awsome though, you’ll love yours.

What brake do you have on it?

If the question is directed at me it’s a shimano BL-M445 (the standard they have at UDC germany for 65€) and shimano 180mm disc (17€).

Greetings

Byc

Ref: ‘Brake mount and polymorph.’
Hope it is visible again.

Does the polymorph make a good “spooner” then? I’ve got some of that and never worked out a good use for it!

Freewheel unicycle

Thanks to the Huffy Green Machine hub Mark (aka lobbybopster) donated to me I finally put together my freewheel unicycle after numerous missteps including breaking my crank removal tool (and the wheel’s not all that true either). The key last step was finding 15x40x12 bearings. I can’t ride it yet but I have a strategy for practice.

Looks great, but no brake? If you’re tilting back you can’t right yourself.
Pedal back pressure (which you won’t have) or a brake would be the only way to correct. Keep us posted and good luck.

Thanks! This is my first step, using parts I have at hand. If I get proficient at this on level ground I can consider building it into a different wheel but I’m not sure what frame would be suitable. I’m not fond of the complexity that brakes add to a unicycle. I use my hands for balance for regular coasting but I can try to practice with one hand on the saddle. Eventually.

I thought the same thing about the brake. I’d stick a cheap V-brake on there, because–as jona said–I don’t know how you’d correct your balance otherwise.

But maybe I’m missing something. Good luck…can’t wait to hear how it works out.

Thanks for the feedback! The V-brake option sounds like a good idea, a small change I could make for a phase two. I would use the brake more to control speed since I use my upper body to correct balance at slower speeds. (The video is regular coasting on a normal unicycle.)

If you add a brake you can easily add a BMX style calliper brake by only drilling one hole in the crown. Much simpler than adding a V brake when you don’t have mounts.

Hi Aracer
Worked well for me :slight_smile:
Takes a bit of practise to get the 'morph to stay flexible long enough to mould (2l water @ about 80 deg for the mass I started with). To stop rotational movement it needs to be worked into the curve on the underside of the lever. ( don’t reduce the thickness too much) You’ll know it’s about right when it’s hard to pull off. If you can’t pull it off at all, that’s great, but presents another problem. Best of luck.

Thanks for the tip, Eric! That’s the route I’ll probably take. I didn’t realize the difference between caliper brakes and V-brakes (although I have a recumbent bike with the latter). I’ll also have to true the wheel if I put a brake one.

I’m working on a disk set up for my kh

Hopefully it’s OK to keep posting in this thread for advice regarding ongoing projects. I’ve enjoyed practicing my freewheel unicycle enough that I ordered caliper brakes and a new wheel. I may have two options for putting brakes on and I’m wondering which would be the best approach. The current frame is a round crown 20" Avenir and I could try to find a place that would drill the holes I need to mount the brakes along these lines (as Eric suggested). The other option I may have is to use a spare 24" Nimbus X frame (flat crown), using the extra space to jerry rig a mount. Is this even a possibility? Does anyone have ideas or input? Thanks!

I am excited to get back into unicycling after 8 months cycle touring across asia. My first projects getting back into it are a new CF NNC seat base with a custom muni handlebar- similar to my other old design but made out of Aluminium triathlon extension bars to kill weight. After that I am going to convert to a disc brake for my 26" guni. And i’m also getting a nice 26" QX series disc brake muni as part of a sponsorship deal for DH/freeride riding. It will get my old UDC carbon base and It will probably also get a Right hand only, shorty version of my handle design. I don’t think regular bumpers will ever be a part of my riding gear again. It will be fun having a DH specific rig- although it is pretty rare that I come to sections of trail that i’m unhappy to tackle on my 26" geared all mountain machine.

…maybe i will just need to find crazier trails.

Mark

Glad to have you back, Mark! Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Has anybody thought about building a 27.5" Muni? I’m thinking about building one for technical XC and DH, since my Schlumpf muni is pretty heavy and I dont want to break it doing intense DH on it, a 27.5" would probably be good for technical riding and fast enough for “short” XC rides.

I’m currently looking at the widest rim available in 27.5, I found a Velocity at 30mm wide. I would probably get a Schwalbe Nobby Nic or Hans Dampf.

Since I work in a bikeshop, everything would be pretty easy to get, I already have the Spirit cranks and disk brake. All I would need is a frame, which I can make myself :slight_smile:

I did, I don’t like it due to no good rims or tires

Yea the biggest thing is no wide rims… I’ve thought about it- if there was wider decent rims in 27.5 I might. There are some good tyres out in 27.5 now I reckon such as the High roller 2 :wink: