Post Your 36er Here

I did. No cons but I don’t run a brake so no need for a braking surface. Pro - rim now matches hub.

I WILL get a 36er some day! what does everyone think about the impulse!

36er…

Hi all,

My Schlumpf hub went on a little holiday to a health resort in Switzerland for a few months, but returned in much better health! It has now taken up residence in my 36er, which has had an upgrade to a Triton 36er frame, stealth2 rim (which is a BIG improvement over the Stealth1) and a KH slim saddle. So far the setup feels really nice. Haven’t bothered to put the magura back on yet, and most of the riding around here is very flat. That said, I might end up upgrading to a disc in the near future…

Cheers,

Dmac

IMGP1622.jpg

Make me an offer on my Impulse but you’ve got to give it back when my kids grow big enough to ride it.:smiley: We could save on shipping with a MUni meet up in Somerset (1/2 of the 4 hours between us). I can’t find my review of the Impluse but, since you asked, it was a pretty good update to the Nightrider. The Shadow Handlebar (see my other review. i own two now) is nice as is the disc brake. It’s probably a good thing that I learned how to use a brake on that smooth disc. But, to be honest, I can hardly tell the difference (other than by ear. they squeak different) in the Magura rim brakes on KING here in the hills and these old knees can often use the break. The big advantage of the disc is your wheel does not need to be as true. They are low maintenance then again so are maguras.

I hope mine does not need to go to the SSHS (Swiss Schlumpf Health Spa) any time soon. I like your frame. Put the magura back on (leaving the precious hub out the braking equation) it looks naked without it. My geared KH36 has the stealth2 rim (and a KH slim saddle atop a shadow handlebar). I feel like I might have paid an early adopters tax with the drilled Stealth1 rim on my first run (actually it’s a recall replacement) Impulse but they were going for “the most lightweight 36er on the market” and now with the FOSS tube and rumors of a lightweight option to the Nightrider tires my Impulse can be pretty darn light and fun as shit to ride in the 110mm hole. :astonished: KING is a heavyweight and I must use long (I like your fixed 150? moment cranks. That is as short as I want geared up. My 150/125 double holes were a mistake due to possible insert slippage which is something Kris is eliminating in his next series) cranks.

I got a Nightrider Pro April 2010 and it came with a white powder coated rim. The braking surface was sanded to bare metal. The frame is powder coated seafoam green. It came with an older blue Kris Holm fusion street saddle. It has the dome nuts and gel padding. I think it was old stock. I like the color combination.
It has been my commuter cycle until two weeks ago.
I got a Schlumpf hub last March, built the wheel in April, and it broke May 1st. It was sent to the SSHS on May 5th and returned home three weeks ago. A nine month retreat.
The Nightrider has been very reliable. I put 1200 miles on it last year and about 200 this year. In 2010 I only put about 100 miles on it.

This is my Nimbus Impulse.

Here is a close up of the disc brake. A thing of beauty, isn’t it?

Here is the rim. The first run Impulse used a drilled Stealth1 rim to obtain it’s title as “the lightest weight 36er on the market”.

Here is why I named her Luigi. More detail on the Impulse is available in the review thread.

This is my Silva Cycles 36" KrisHolm/Schlumpf GUni. I call him King.

Here is a close-up of the business end (brake lever way out on the end) of the handle.

and zoomed out a little you can see the light is a GeoManGear MagicShine. The brick is the light’s battery.

here is a close up of the Schlumpf hub

Here is the new Stealth2 rim

and finally, here they are side-by-side

David,
Those are some nice looking uni’s. It looks like your crank setups are the same as mine. When my Schlumpf broke last year I used the 110 hole on the Nimbus. I switched one week before the Chilly Hilly ride. At the time I had 137/165 cranks. My 125/150’s came in a week after the Chilly Hilly. They were on sale at UDC for $63.00.
I still don’t know if I will sell my Nimbus. I was thinking of building a standard 36er wheel with a disc brake hub for the Kris Holm frame. If I do that I would sell the Nimbus.

David, you have some very cool rides!:slight_smile:

Here is my Coker Big One:

-Nimbus Venture 2’s 114mm cranks
-Animal Hamilton Purple PC pedals
-XLR ribbed tire
-X-blade fender
-KH fusion freeride seat
-Blackburn cycle computer
-V Brake
-Custom handlebar made from a pi bar and razor scooter

The handlebar is awesome, it can extend super far, and lets me get in a nice and low riding position.

DSCF0760.jpg

DSCF0762.jpg

Got Milk? :slight_smile:

DSC02391.JPG

Now that I have mastered the shifting technique in the 150 hole, I really want a pair of fixed 137s (my favorite size {and I have tried them all} for compromise) on my geared 36er. Then I would not need to ride so much on my toes to be able to reach the button with my size 10 shoes.

Wow, the handlebar on your Coker does extend super far out almost like riding Turtle’s V-frame. Sweet looking ride!

Rather than load this thread with more oversized pictures (sorry about that) I have created a new album with detailed specifications of all my equipment (everyone should do this!) because, the more people know about what and where you ride, the better prepared they are to answer your questions) if anyone is interested.

Cranks

Hey David,

I am running single hole 137mm Moments on my guni now. In the past I have run both 150’s and 125’s on the g36. I felt the 150’s were too long, and the 125’s were way too short, so settled on 137mm’s. So far, so good (after about 200km in the last 2 weeks).

I used to run 114’s on my old single speed 36er, and I still love the feel of a single speed 36er with short cranks. One day I’ll get another 36er with short cranks for my stable to compliment the g36.

When my hub was in my 26" (for ~18 months) I ran 125mm cranks, so I am used to spinning shorter cranks in high gear. That said, it is a little scary trying to stop the g36er quickly without a brake (magura from the 36er is currently on another toy), but I don’t have to slow down suddenly too often on the routes I am currently riding. If I’m happy with the 137’s by the time the KH disc setup comes out, I’ll upgrade from the magura to the disc setup.

In the meantime, I am enjoying the better weather over here and riding my 29er and g36 on alternating days. It’s nice to be able to get outside without turning into an icicle! :wink:

Cheers,

Dmac :slight_smile:

here is my KH36
stock KH36 apart from:
-foss tube
-100mm, 0 Q factor Qu-Ax cranks
-nimbus shadow handle
-magura HS33

P1010006.jpg

P1010005 copy.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010002.jpg

piranhamatt, 20 mph?! thats pretty awesome. i cant wait till i get my first 36er on Monday or tuesday.

Modded Handlebar

first ride…

36 inch 3-2012 a.jpg

36 inch 3-2012 c.jpg

i have now pushed that up to 21.05mph! having super short cranks has helped me a lot with speed

what do people think of using aero bars on the 36er? do they make it comfier for riding distance?

missing the 2nd wheel…

Here is my humble contribution :slight_smile:
Thank you everyone who helped me out with my questions!

Built for a shorty, I am 162cm tall.
I used triple magnets for the cycle computer. Don’t really need to, but the inner nerd in me kept saying “Three times faster speed update!!” lol.

hi, i have had that idea for quite a while now, as it takes a while for the computer to work out a speed with 1 magnet, i never did because i wasn’t quite shore how to re configure the computer to still give the right speed, did you just divide the circumference by 3? thanks.

Yes, that is correct :slight_smile:

Traditionally,
1 magnet = 1 revolution

But if
3 magnets = 1 revolution
1 magnet = 1/3 revolution.

Dutch championship 10 km race

picture of me riding my 36 inch during the dutch championships 10 km. training for unicon this summer;)