Popular muni size these days?

Just because it looks like (on unicycle.com USA anyway), that the only 2 decent options now are KH or the tank-like Nimbus Hatchets. Between the two, I’d choose KH. What other models and/or stores am I missing?

1 Like

Madforone in Italy. Is a good shout.
@MAD4ONE

1 Like

Mad4One make great unis, but quite expensive. Probably even more for an American.
Nimbus Oracle unis are also great, and way less expensive. Not sure when they’ll be back in stock, though. Same for Qu-ax RGB. Regarding the latter, I’m not sure they are ever available in the US at all. You should ask your local retailer :wink:

1 Like

I know UDC uk can ship to America. @rogeratunicycledotcom

1 Like

Goudurix.com in Montreal has the Qu-Ax stuff,. that’s where I bought my 27.5 muni, and a couple more Q-Axle hubs and cranks since then. They ship to the US and prices were pretty good.

2 Likes

So a while back I created this poll about muni sizes:

The results suggest you should get a 27.5!

Well it’s another set of data points to consider at least

2 Likes

Not sure where you are looking but there are lots of Muni on sale on the USA Unicycle.com site.
They appear to have quite a wide range of stock in at the moment.
Nimbus Muni range
Nimbus Oracle range
Nimbus Hatchet
KH range

Here is a link to show just the Muni:

Yes, UK can ship to the USA, but generally it is best to order local to you.

1 Like

There is a very reasonably priced nimbus 26er muni on the trading post for $200.00.

1 Like

Thanks Roger. I noticed that the 27.5" Oracle on the US site is out of stock, but the regular 27.5" Nimbus is available. Is the main difference between the two just the frame and weight? Looks like Oracle’s is aluminum instead of steel, and 3 lbs lighter. Maybe I should go ahead and get the lower-end Nimbus, get a Fusion seat/pivot post, and can always upgrade the frame down the line. I like that it’s “British Racing Green”. When I was a teenager, my dad and I restored an MGB roadster that color. You can just make it out in this pic through the spokes of one of my first unicycles, circa 2001.

1 Like

The rim, hub, tyre and cranks are the same between the Nimbus Muni and Nimbus Oracle, so yes easy to just upgrade the frame. It does not come with a disc brake, but is set up so you can easily install one when you are ready for it.

2 Likes

Unicycle.com USA says they’ll be out of 27.5" Oracles until next August. Adding a brake and Oracle frame to a standard Nimbus would cost $200 more than the off-the-shelf Oracle.

Therefore, I decided on a 27.5" racing green Oracle from the UK store. It just made sense financially even with the shipping, plus they’re on sale right now. I promise I will continue to use the US store for future needs. I’ve been their loyal customer since 2001.

Thanks again everyone for your advice. Can’t wait to get my new muni. Merry Christmas to me!

7 Likes

Happy xmas!, I agree the Nimbus Oracle 27.5 is just about perfect - with the 3.25 tire it has almost exactly the same rolling diameter as a 29 I used to have, but is actually smoother on pavement, and better on dirt. A minor thing is that (if you are like me) you may occasionally scrub your knee against the side knobs of the wide tire - a good reason to wear knee pads or jeans, I guess! And also, I replaced the saddle with a KH Freeride as a personal preference.

And of course, you also need an old 24 muni for a change now and then, and to better handle the slow rocky rootsy stuff.

Plus, ideally, you need a Schlumpf as well :wink: - e.g. a G26. Riding this on trails requires more effort and concentration and hones your skills for the 27.5. In fact, I am quite sure that I am a much smoother rider now, on my favored 27.5, purely because of practice in pedaling the G26 which needs good technique to minimize the gear backlash effect.

(who said unicycling was a cheap hobby?)

4 Likes

That is the truth! I still have 3 unicycles from my previous life (and many more that I no longer own):

1. The 24x3" muni described in the op above
  2. 20" black freestyle Torker
  3. 36" with gen 1 Schlumpf, KH frame, and a custom seat/handles setup

The 36" is like the ship of Theseus. No parts remain of the original used Coker I bought in the mid 00’s. It’s what I rode at Ride the Lobster in '08, and when I did back-to-back century rides in '10 (both pre-Schlumpf).

Sadly, I really haven’t ridden much with the Schlumpf, but I’ll leave that for another thread. For now, I’m mostly interested in muni, but might think about adding the fusion one saddle and handle kit to the 36" if I decide to hit the road again.

1 Like

Hey Frank,
Phil from Mount Solon here. I’m out of the game about 15 years. I still have my 24" Rowing muni and my Hunter 36. Also I still have a yellow Hell on Wheel T shirt. My neighbor is a professional mountain bike trail maker. Between his property and mine there about 8 miles of excellent single track. What I wouldn’t have given for that back in my riding days. Glad you’re getting back in. I do hike the trails most days.

1 Like

Hey Phil, good to hear from you! Skippii and I were just talking about you the other day (during a conversation about me getting back into the sport).

Skippii lives in Richmond now and we hang out on a weekly basis. He also stopped riding, but got really into motorcycles. He still owns all of his unis, including the geared-up “penguin” giraffe he made.

Hope all is well with you and yours. Let me know if you’re up for a ride, either your trails or mine!

That arrived quick! I was prepared to wait a couple weeks since it was coming from UK, but 6 days later I’m the proud owner of a 27.5" Oracle.

Again, I’m used to a 24x3" with 145mm cranks. So for now I’ll stick with the 150s it came with and will probably go shorter once I’m acclimated.

Can’t wait to hit the trail this weekend!

9 Likes

Get some photos and/or video during your ride. Welcome back to the one true wheeled activity. Stay safe out there.

3 Likes

Welcome back Frank! Congrats on the new uni. It looks very nice. I am a big fan of the 27.5 size. The Duro Crux 3.25 tire is awesome. I have the same one on my KH 27.5.

2 Likes

Congrats! The Oracle looks like a great uni.

FYI for anyone who’s interested, I got a 27.5 steel Nimbus muni for Christmas. After reading many posts about weight inaccuracies on the UDC website (US), I weighed mine. Exactly 14.1 lb.

John

2 Likes