Please help w/ uni gliding....

I am trying to learn how to glide and it just doesnt seem to work out. Is there anyone who can tell me how to glide, or start, or learn.
Please dont say to wheel and 1 foot wheel walk. I can do that.
I want to know how to get to the glide position from riding and how to actually glide.
thanks, Alex :thinking:

1. search the newsgroup for “glide” and “gliding.” John Foss and others have posted some helpful hints.

2. If you are comfortable with one foot wheel walk(1fww), then you may have accidentally experienced brief moments of gliding. As you 1fww, let your forward momentum continue as you drag your foot back for the next stroke. Don’t stop. It takes a LOT of practice to develop the coordination and sensitivity to use your foot with the right amount of pressure. If you are Don’t be frustrated. It took me months to learn this, practicing every day. You know how when you try to glide, the unicycle slips out in front of you and you take a flying plunge of the back? Well, that probably happened to me at least 500 times before I started to get it.

Have you seen anybody glide, live in person? That might help. It might be hard to figure out from the available videos.

Also, can you ride one foot? If so, you know the feeling when the wheel is smooth under you (not jerking from front to back, and there’s very little pressure on the pedal)? Well, that sensation of being really well balanced and smooth comes in handy with gliding. It’s the feeling that you are perfectly poised, balanced and still over the unicycle. No excess motion. This also takes a lot of practice, of course.

Think baby steps. If you can occasionally let the tire slide under your shoe for even 1 inch, then play with that. Can you let it slide two inches? Practice that every day for a week. You’ll get the hang of it.

Hope that helps. I’ve been practicing for months and can now go 3-4 meters consistently. This uses different muscles and it takes some time to develop them. It’s well worth the effort. LMK how it goes. (As you can tell, I’m into gliding) :slight_smile:

Joe Merrill

Thanks for your help. :slight_smile:
Also,
How do you go to the gliding position from just riding?
(I have gotten a little comforatable w/ one footing, w/ foot over wheel, and then putting my other foot up on the fork)
What kind of tire do i need ? I have a knobby-ish tire on now.
thanks for your help, I have been going a few more feet since reading your message. :smiley:
Alex

The easiest way is to just go from 1fww. As you get really comfortable with gliding, you will be able to go straight from riding.

First you might try, from riding, put your gliding foot on the tire and immediately, after, (almost simultaneously, place your other foot on the fork). You may find that you need to give a stroke or two with your gliding foot in order to gain stability. Problem with this is, by the time you do this, you will have slowed down to a pace similar to going from ifww. I find it easier at my stage of development, to do go from 1 foot ww, and work on smoothness, gradually increasing speed. I forget the most important thing of all! Practice on a hill!! Experiment with different inclines. Too shallow or too steep won’t do. How could I forget that.
Never tried it on a knobby tire.
Gotta run. LMK how that goes.

Joe

Thanks for your help.
Also,
How do you go to the gliding position from just riding?
(I have gotten a little comforatable w/ one footing, w/ foot over wheel, and then putting my other foot up on the fork)
What kind of tire do i need ? I have a knobby-ish tire on now.
thanks for your help, I have been going a few more feet since reading your message.
Alex

hey i got some gliding on video. rolling shot and when i get it on my computer at school ill post it up here. also it wont show riding into a glide as i cant do that yet but i will be a mount right into 1fww into a glide and then proceeding to glide about 150-200 ft down a nice hill. well when i get the video up ill post and hopefully it will help. also if possible watch UNiVERsE like a 100 times and you will see all the little techniques to gliding from tha man Dan Heaton himself. oh yea a good foot rest is a must b/c if you are trying too much to keep your foot on the frame then ur not concentrating enuf on the gliding foot so get a hoseclamp and slap that on there. i did and it works great compared to the old round crown. goodluck
random babbling from Kyle :sunglasses:

I’m not sure but mabye it would be easy to go into gliding from riding one footed? Get a little speed and take your foot off. (I’ve never tried it, but it could work.)

I have tried riding one footed into wheel walking a couple times.
It works but not very well and its harder then just riding into it.

but on the topic of learning just learn to glide well ww into it then, work on riding into it. the whole point of riding into it is just to get going faster.

joey

Re: Please help w/ uni gliding…

ayuniist14.50k0a@timelimit.unicyclist.com writes:
>I am trying to learn how to glide and it just doesnt seem to work out.
>Is there anyone who can tell me how to glide, or start, or learn.
>Please dont say to wheel and 1 foot wheel walk. I can do that.
>I want to know how to get to the glide position from riding and how to
>actually glide.
>thanks, Alex :thinking:

Well, I think I may have gotten your query out of order, so if you have
read Joe Merrill’s answer, go with that. He and I are in just about the
same boat. Each of us can go 2-4 revolutions in a glide. I should mention
that we are doing this on a slight hill in order to maximize glide.

I don’t think you need to be concerned about the “how to get to the glide
position …” part yet. If you can’t already do it for 6+ revolutions down
a little hill, then it really won’t matter. Now, if you CAN glide further
than that, COOL! We envy you.

We have both recently begun playing with what you’ve asked about, too,
both on hills and on flats. We pedal with the choco foot, vanilla foot on
the crown. Then at the right moment, choco finds its rightful position for
the glide. It’s not quite as easy as I make it out to be, but it’s not
impossile – just scary. Without vanilla in place, tho, it’s harder bc you
need all the stability you can get at that point. I’ve actually done it a
few times, and it’s scary still, but I can see where it’s going, and that
makes it worth it.

Hope this helps.

David

Co-founder, Unatics of NY
1st Sunday / 3rd Saturday
@ Central Park Bandshell
1:30 start time after 11/1/01

David: why only a slight hill?
I can glide for dozens of revs, but i go down a hill. i have been
under the impression, that that is the best way to learn. i do
understand that to pass the skill level it must be done on flat
ground but its easy to learn on a good sized hill.

i should have added in my last post that riding into it with one
foot is rather hard for me becues, i glide with my left foot but
learned to ride one footed with my right, so i had to learn to ride
one footed with the other foot to try this it wasnt to hard becues
i am very comfortable riding one footed.

Joey

ayuniist14.50q0z@timelimit.unicyclist.com writes:
>
>Thanks for your help. :slight_smile:
>Also,
>How do you go to the gliding position from just riding?
>(I have gotten a little comforatable w/ one footing, w/ foot over wheel,
>and then putting my other foot up on the fork)
I prefer 1’ww with big pushes that lead right into gliding – that is,
once you hit it just right, you stop pushing and just enjoy the glide. As
you can imagine, this is best on a little slope. Otherwise it’s as
described earlier: Ride 1’ and get some speed, then (scary part here:…)
take that choco foot off and hope all goes well as it heads into gliding
position. Meanwhile vanilla is hanging out on the fork, waiting for
company.
>
>What kind of tire do i need ? I have a knobby-ish tire on now.
Joe and I have smooth tires that take up to 85psi. They’re not totally
smooth, but they’re really pumped up. Knobby tires work, too.
>
>thanks for your help, I have been going a few more feet since reading
>your message. :smiley:
>Alex

@ Central Park Bandshell

?

how do i know what foot to use, i tried it today, and i dont know what foot to use. i ride one footed with my right foot, my right side is my dominent side in unicycling, but i just cant seem ti figure out which side to try to put my foot on teh crown.

RE: Please help w/ uni gliding…

> I’m not sure but mabye it would be easy to go into gliding from riding
> one footed? Get a little speed and take your foot off. (I’ve never
> tried it, but it could work.)

That’s the (relatively) easy way. The harder/scarier way is to ride with
both feet and then take both off, where one goes to the fork and the other
goes to the tire.

JF

Re: ?

What ever foot you use to ofww is the same foot you wanna have on the wheel gliding.

John is right it is very scary riding fast into gliding, cuz if you miss the tire all sorts of bad stuff can hapen. usally you just come off the back of the unicycle no harm done.

Joey

Joey, just curious - If you can do dozens of revs on a hill, how many can you do on flat ground? I can do maybe 3-4 revs on a hill but only 1-2 on flat ground.

I think the reason for a slight hill, is that if it’s too steep, you need more foot pressure. While this might help you to develop the braking action with the foot, does it lead to the kind of feather touch you need to glide on flat ground?

My plan to get 10m+ on flat ground is this: continue to improve my gliding skill on hills until I can get some distance, say 6 revs or more. At the same time, I’m working on going from one foot straight into gliding so that I can start gliding at adequate speed. So far I have no problem going carefully from single foot to glide at slow speed. It’s not hard as long as you do it smoothly and at just the right moment (the pedaling foot leaves the pedal around 10 or 11 o’clock.)

Joe Merrill

I actually think going down a steep hill is a good way to learn a light touch. You just work on
going fast down the hill, and assuming the hill flattens out, you can work on milking your
speed at the bottom. That’s how I learned, at least.

The way I ride in to gliding is slightly different than what you described. I ride along with both
feet on the pedals, than bring my gliding foot up to the tire. Once I have my foot there, I take
my other foot off the pedal and put it on the frame. I take my foot of the second pedal about
half a rotation after my first foot. This makes it so I don’t ever have no controlling force on
the wheel. Using that technique I can get a bit more than ten Meters on flat ground.

Ben

Joe

I have been doing most of my gliding on a hill at my school,
that starts of as i reasonable sized hill then flatens out
so its almost flatens out after about 200 feet, so what i do
is go down the hill with my foot light on the tire to gain
speed, then carry that speed though to the flat part, then
with my foot very light on the tire I try to milk the speed
i gained from the hill to go as far as I can on the flater part
(usually a 100 or so more feet).

On flat ground i can go about 10 meters on a good try but
I only hit a good one 1 in 4 or so.

Joey

unicyclejoe.52ewn@timelimit.unicyclist.com writes:
>John is right it is very scary riding fast into gliding, cuz if you miss
>the tire all sorts of bad stuff can hapen. usally you just come off the
>back of the unicycle no harm done.
>
>
>Joey

I had some big falls this past Sunday in my attempt to glide fast down a
mild hill. On both occasions, my choco foot slipped to the vanilla side of
the uni and got tangled a bit with the wheel. On both occasions I fell
hard to my back and side, and in both cases, my wrist guard (I only wear
the one, on the vanilla side) saved me from really hurting my wrist. DO
NOT ATTEMPT TO LEARN GLIDING or COASTING SANS WRIST GUARDS!

Afterwards, treat yourself to some real chocolate and vanilla.

David

@ Central Park Bandshell

Re: Re: Please help w/ uni gliding…

I had that exact same thing happen to me the other day when I tried gliding on my friends new monty.
What did it to me was the monty tire, it is all round on the top so its really easy for your foot to make
its way across the tire and then slid all the way off the other side of the uni. although i was lucky and
did not go all the way to the groung becaus the padel caught my leg and stoped the unicycle and me
so all i got was a big gash in my leg.

Joey