Please check out my 'Unicycle Selector'

Ideas

Could you put an approximate skill level for what you consider “Beginner, Intermediate” etc. I’m level two (probably, haven’t been officially tested yet.) and I’m not sure if I’m a beginner or intermediate.

Great job! I could have used this when I was looking for my first uni.

I didn’t see any pics. The list of manufacturers is helpful, but specific models would be more helpful.

I think a height (of the rider) query could help in the selection process, and make suggestions on crank length and seat post height.

Keep up the good work
Daniel

Hi Sofa,

As Animation says… trying to write client side scripts that will run (even) on only the most common browsers is a lesson in futility :frowning: Each browser has it’s own quircks, charms and… ahem… features just waiting to catch you out.

Since you can write VBScript (and JavaScript?) you’re lined up nicely for taking your code to the server side as Animation suggests. What this means is that all your code only gets executed on the server itself so only the server has to handle the code execution and spit out raw html to whatever browser. The M$ “ASP” server platform can handle either of these languages and the end result is that any browser will be able to access and use the page. There are places out there that offer free ASP hosting - give Google a try to find some.

If you want any hints, tips or pointers with ASP then pm me and I’ll be happy to help were I can. Great job BTW!

Cheers,
Neil

By creating Web content and sharing it with the public, you learn a lot about how people perceive things. I noticed right away the text saying that the selector was only intended for Internet Explorer. But people tossed back all sorts of test results for other browsers.

From this you learn:
a - People don’t necessarily read what’s on the page
b - Though it would make all Web developers’ jobs much easier, the world is not going to all use the same browser. Even if they did, it wouldn’t be the same version of same browser.

I resisted using IE for a very long time (as my default) because I did not respect the way it bullied competing products aside on its way to the top. But when Netscape 6.0 finally came out, and sucked, I finally broke down and switched. Netscape 7 is much better BTW, and is what I use to read this forum. This keeps it separate from the “work” I’m meanwhile doing in IE.

Unicycle.com indeed has a similar unicycle finder:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/FirstTimers.asp
It is intended to help new people narrow down their choices. But since it calls from a much bigger range of cycles, it’s even harder to keep the results accurate.

In both cases, to make best use of such a device the user must know what it’s doing. Is it considering price? In your case, yes. Is it including the entire list of products available from the vendor? I’m not sure of this for the Unicycle.com one. Theirs is obviously much harder, because the line keeps changing. For the finder to work, it will have to use some sort of tags off the database entries for each cycle in the catalog.

Definitely a worthy project as a programming exercise. This instance is another place where you can learn a valuable lesson for programmers. Making something that works is not the same thing as making something people can use. To make it really thorough in the way it finds the answers for people, it will have to be more complicated, and probably also come with more descriptive text.

Notice the one at Unicycle.com has a disclaimer at the bottom, reminding people that their may be more cycles out there than what the finder comes up with. Everyone should look through the catalog as well.