Playing traverse flute or an instrument while unicycling

So glad I started this thread and you discovered that it can be done!

Thank you for sharing that! Bassoon looks like a fun instrument, I enjoy listening to bassoon concertos and sonatas from the Baroque and Classical period. Guitar does look like it would be easy to do on a unicycle.

I don’t think idling and playing an instrument necessarily need to be in sync to be done properly, but it helps if the rhythms aren’t too dissimilar. I still don’t have a flute, I’m considering looking into after Christmas sales; maybe I can buy an inexpensive barely used one from someone who got a flute for Christmas but didn’t really want one.

Wow, playing trumpet and trombone while unicycling! Awesome! At least that’s a great way to alert people wherever you ride. You should consider learning to juggle while idling, since that may make it easier to play trumpet while idling. Or at least learn to idle with your arms at your side.

Is the Yamaha YFL-222 Intermediate Flute good for a beginner? I like that it has an offset G, and it gets good reviews. Anything in particular to look for as an aspiring uni-flutist?

And you mean to say by that that the photo is a trick, because nobody would ride UW on the balls of their feet, or that because it is for the photo and they are hanging against the wall and not putting their weight on the left feet, they can do it as they won’t be riding off into the sunset anyways.

I can imagine it will still be wobbly to get up like that with an instrument in ur hands and keeping steady for the photo.

I don’t think peeps would be too happy if I were to do that when riding in the forest and the peds are blocking the way in front of me, enjoying the peace and quiet. It will certainly be effective. :smiley:

Update:

Instead of a transverse flute I’ve been playing tin whistle for a few weeks now, mostly learning “Green Sleeves”. I can almost play “Green Sleeves” while standing still, then a few days ago tried to play it while idling on my 24" unicycle – I could barely play it. This will probably take some getting used to. I wonder if it’s easier to play an instrument on a 20". Anyone experiment with this? I can juggle 3 balls while idling without much difficulty these days.

IMHO, a smaller wheel is generally better if you want to do “stuff” while riding it. Unless you have a need to go faster. But if you want to go slow, and be able to control your course, smaller/lighter will probably work better.

Thanks! I’ll probably get a 20" soon, most likely used. I suspect a 20" will probably be less tiring since it is less wheel to move back and forth. 5 minutes of juggling 3 balls while idling and I’m usually exhausted, and I’m a distance-runner. It’s even more exhausting with clubs which I am still struggling with. It’s not that tiring juggling while riding forward though.

is playing while riding the problem (difficulty multitasking), or is the problem with your hands being frozen in place on the tin whistle close to your head (awkward balance position)?

I have never attempted to play tin whistle or recorder on the unicycle, but in my imagination that seems much much easier than unicycling and juggling…go figure…

Sounds like your idling could use some refinement. If you watch a unicycle performer idle, it will have large strokes and look very onerous. That’s the idea; make it look difficult and sketchy. And if you’re trying to show off, this is generally more interesting to an audience than a low-energy idle.

But if it’s just for you, low energy is better. With practice, you can make small wheel movements that take a lot less energy. These small movements can even include long pauses or stops; you just want to keep the wheel moving from front to back of your balance point.

Adding juggling or other activities, naturally, will force you to work harder until you get used to the combination of activities.

I find it much easier to achieve momentary a still stand while idling between the 3:00 and 9:00 positions. Conversely, doing a still stand with the pedals at or near the 6:00/12:00 position is almost impossible. It seems logical that a small, tight idle uses less energy, but in my experience, reversing the wheel direction on small idles takes more effort than on the 3:00/9:00 variety. I probably have not spent enough time practicing small, tight idling. Assuming some kind of correction (pivot) needs to be made at either end of the idle, I find it’s easier to make a larger correction in the 3:00/9:00 position.

Regarding juggling while unicycling, maybe a small idle is easier than a large one.

It seems I’m still using my arms to help me balanced while idling, even while juggling. I just need to learn to stay balanced idling while keeping my arms still either on my chest or my lap or hips. This should help with the flute playing.

Thanks for the tips. I may not rush out to get a 20" after all, unless I see a good deal. When I’m not juggling while idling my idling tends to be small movements and isn’t that tiresome. The idles are much larger while juggling, but they’ve been getting smaller over the past year.

I also need to practice keeping my arms still while idling(I hardly bothered with this before learning to juggle while idling); even while juggling I still use my arms and adjust my arms and elbows to keep me balanced.

Great advice. I’m already at the point where I can do short idling stops(usually 1 second or 2) when juggling while idling, though sometimes I can screw up if I make too many stops. For balance, I find it easier to do big idles while juggling, though it would be less tiring to do small idles while juggling, but I would need to practice this. Due to weather haven’t practiced much playing flute while idling.

I’d bet playing an end blown flute like the one in the video would be easier then a transverse (side-blown) flute that the Acrorebel was thinking of. But what do I know, I can’t play either.

On my last ride, I practiced holding my hands like I was holding a tin whistle…to get a sense of what you’re dealing with. I found that position challenging, not good for balance. It was much harder than I first imagined. I suppose that when the arms are taken out of the equation of balance, the hips have to compensate.

Thanks, that was impressive! Not surprising he’s doing it with what appears to be a 20".

It definitely is much easier playing an end-blown fipple flute on or off the unicycle than the transverse flute. Among other things the, embouchure is much more difficult on the transverse flute, it’s a struggle for me.

It was a little harder than I imagined also, but after a little more practice I’m getting better. I’m still struggling with playing the flute, in particular, Green Sleeves, while idling. However, while riding forward I can play Green Sleeves about 95% as well as I can when standing still.

Of course, I can’t play Green Sleeves that well while standing still, but I’m getting there. At least friends and family can recognize I’m playing Green Sleeves when I tell them to guess what tune I’m playing(they also comment that I’m a little off). Darn that A# is often hard to get right since it involves half-holing but I will improve. I think this would be significantly easier with a 20". I often alternate flute-playing with practicing idling with my arms completely still or behind my back and also with juggling.