Planning a smooth going trip. Money, Sleeping arrangements, time, training and routes

I’m planning a trip in roughly 2 1/2 years across the united states, I out of pa, so I’m pretty much on the east coast, so I’ll just start from here. I just really want to do something great between high school and college, something memorable.

The problem, I’m 16, and have never done anything like this at all. I just got my coker today, which is what I plan on taking the trip on.

I’ve been trying to figure out how much money per day I will need, I will be camping or using couches when and if I can, and I would like to use motels on rest days. I’ll also need food, water, camping equipment, etc… So how much will this entire deal run me roughly? I’ve been thinking something like 7-8000 for all of it. I’m not 100% on the legth, I’ve been thinking everywhere from 2-3k miles all the way to 6-7k, Any where from 45day though 80.
It will also greatly depend if I’m physically ready for a challenge like this. I’m really going to have to kick it into high gear.

What would be the best way to plan this thing out, as in figuring which roads I will be using and what town’s I’ll be going through and figuring out where motels are at?

I appriciate the help greatly, I’m in much need of help witht his.

Also, about how far would be a good length to try and get daily? Something like 75-100?

Well, thanks. I’m not sure if I made it clear, but I’m going to starting in pa and heading west. Toward Washington state, I’ll never even be close to Massachusetts.

That sounds like loads of fun.

Yes, very exciting. Please don’t get to far off topic.

Another question, what should I wear as in clothes? Just cycling spandex?

You should talk to Gracie Sorbello who did a trip like this a few years ago. I also researched a lot of self supported unicycling techniques for my trip I was going to do from Pittsburgh to DC, but my knee gave out 15-20 miles in! I would highly advise not putting any gear on your unicycle, I think this awkward movement is what messed up my knee combined with my backpack weight. Carry as LITTLE as possible with you. If you are going to camp, bring a lightweight tarp and some ties and a lightweight sleeping bag.

For clothes: yes wear bike shorts and bring 1 spare pair, as well as light weight fast drying clothes. If you are going to have 1 spare clean set of clothes make sure they are also lightweight and fast drying. Once again, Gracie was a great help to me when I emailed her asking about what she brought. I think her contact info can be found on http://onewheelforlife.blogspot.com/.