Pint sized uni playground.

King Muni-Man passed his level 2 last week. To celebrate I kept my promise and built him what he calls his “unicycle playgound”. The entire thing cost a wopping $21.00 (usd) and he and I put it together in about an hour.

I made the pieces/parts as modular as possible so he could change it if he got tired of doing the same old thing. He rode this thing all afternoon and he’s napping soundly even as I write this. This King needs his rest you know… we’re going to go muni together in about an hour. :smiley:

I posted some images of his uni-playground if anyone is interrested.

http://tinyurl.com/g6oh

Cheers,
Jason

WOW! He looks pretty good! how old is he??

-Sam

Hi Sam,

He’s six years old. He’s a solid rider which comes from practice, and he practices a lot. He just started riding obstacles other than muni trails in the last couple of weeks. The “uni playgound” was built upon his request. Some kids ask for swing sets, others… unicycle playgounds. Go figure.

-Jason

I gotta get me some pants like that.

What the HECK?! That kid’s just SCARY!

(Lucky li’l brat!)

Hey Jason!
Congratulate King Muni Man for me!! I feel honored to have seen him ride in person.

Daniel

Cool Deal.

Gutsy kid. (Needs more safety gear, dad)

And what’s that behind him? Steps up to the Deck? mmmmmmm. And that handrail 8 feet off the ground looks tempting. Don’t show him the Universe Video until he’s at least 7!:wink:

To make it more realistic, shouldn’t there by a couple moose, or maybe a bear ready to charge The King at any moment? 'Suppose by this point in his training he’d most likely be unfazed, so I can understand the omission.

-Christopher

Too late. Universe is were he got the idea for me to build him this setup in the first place. :smiley:

Regarding safety gear; he always wears a helmet when we muni (I require it), but as rule he doesn’t like other equiment and his falls are so minor at his size that it works out okay. I do encourage wrist guards and kid skinz for his shins but he’s just not into it. I can live with scabbed up shins, but I won’t allow a head injury. As he get older and rides harder, I’ll be ‘enforcing’ more safety equipment.

Cheers,
Jason

At his age, I was always hurting myself on a b*ke. Got some good scars, too. But that’s part of being a kid. If you don’t get hurt, you’re doing something wrong. No, I’m not saying safety gear isn’t important, but I agree with Jason. The helmet is good, the rest is optional. Kids heal quickly.
BTW, do you call him King Muni Man when addressing him? I like the nickname. I wish my parents had given me one. Instead, I had to give myself a nickname when I got older.

I often refer to him in with a shortened version, “Muni-Man”.

Jason,

You mentioned that you made the course modular. Can you describe how you made them modular?

Thanks

I would like to make some things for Trials. I want to make some stuff out of wood, so what is the best wood to use?

What sort of things (shapes/sizes etc) should I be making.

Last day of school tomorrow, so I will be able to make some stuff during the holidays.

I might get my hands on some scafolding too, so I guess I could try and ride that.

Oh, but one thing. I dont have much ££ at the moment…

Cheers,

Joe,

If you want scaffolding poles, try your local scrap metal yard. They seem to be getting a lot more sanitised these days (probably for health and safety reasons), but you used to be allowed to wander round scrappies looking for what you wanted. I’ve got loads of scaffolding from scrappies in the past when I needed to make storage racks for kayaks. Poles were easy to get, the clips weren’t as easy.

Scaffolding planks would be pretty good too.

Have fun!

Graeme

thanks Graeme

Also, I was wondering what I could put on the bottom of the obstacles to stop them from moving as I jumps to/from them.

I will be able to get my (grubby little) hands on some wooden crates (the type used by forklift trucks). Any maybe some spools.

Any idea what the best wood to use it though? It has to be canny strong, and fairly cheap too!

Cheers,

Joe,

EDIT: spelling

Joe

The wooden crates I think you mean are pallets. Look up ‘pallets’ in the yellow pages. There’s a big pallet yard near me, I went down to see if I could buy a few. The guy gave me a car-full (5) for nothing. They are ideal really; they’re heavy so they don’t move around much, they’re modular so u can make whatever height or arrangement you want, they’re flexible so if you jump down on them hard they don’t break, and your uni doesn’t take the full force. Pallets are also good for practicing pedal grabs, becausec metal studded pedals ‘bite’ the wood, giving you more grip when you are balancing.

As far as wood is concerned, no wood in plain plank/sheet form is strong enough to withstand jumps… unless you get big expensive blocks. If you want to build something, pine is good because it’s cheap, readily available, easy to cut and flexible. However…for your ‘unipark’ id recommend you use strong pre built objects… like pallets and scrap yard objects (as suggested above). Building anything strong enough takes a lot of work… and materials.

To help stop lighter objects moving, I find its best putting them on grass.

Here’s a picture of Mark Roberts and me on my pallets on the patio… not very extreme I know… but hey. And… no shirt and tie isn’t my usual uni attire!.. I had just got back from work.

cool. Thanks Tim.

Are you still coming to Newcastle (upon tyne) in September?

Mark is coming to mine for a few day in the holidays. I dont know if he as mentionad it to you. Maybe we could make something when he is up. Or at last have some thing to play on.

I will find out about the pallets this weekend.
Thanks again,

Joe,

That’s great, no time to ‘suit’ up for your afternoon fix! Just wear a tie! Those are some nice pallets.

haha… i see your point. You are going to get the wrong idea about me… I think a semi colon is required.

And… no; shirt and tie isn’t my usual uni attire!.. I had just got back from work.

hurrah

Each of the sections is an independant structure and they’re not secured to each other in any way. There are six pieces in all; 2 2x4 inch sections, 1 ladder bridge, 2 short 2x6 inch sections, and a longer 2x6 inch section. This allows my son to move them around in any order he wants. By placing a log under the long 2x6 inch section he can create a ladder bridge or a slope with a drop. It just makes it more fun for him.

Jason