Pictures of your latest ride

A little gravity

I think the unicycle is in “suspense” and Jake looks a little “bushed”

F*****g awesome dude!

Pictures from this afternoon

I got a friend to make a photo of me during a sprint attempt.

I hate it when my unicycle stops moving mid air…

Can you please post that video? I want to see how the uni ended up where it is! :thinking:

I reckon it bounced back off the corner of the wall. Would be interesting to see though, I agree :slight_smile:

Excellent pic, BTW.

Rob

The video has been posted here:

It looks like the unicycle freed itself and is flying back to the mother ship.

That picture it the perfect freezeframe! :smiley:

Friday afternoon I met up with SinisterJay and kb1jki for a couple of hours in the woods. Most of these were taken by Eric.

Well sorry David, but I’ve got some more taken by a girl I asked if she would mind taking some pics of me actually riding the thing. I don’t know why these sections look so easy when in reality they are pretty steep and bumpy. By the way, spending the money on a Schlumpf was not a mistake, I reckon. But this Muni is really fun as well (sometimes I’d like to kick in that high gear, though…).

Anyways, so here are some pictures:

We met to test drive a new part of the road just a week before it’s official opening. Nice and easy leasure ride :slight_smile:

And a kid there had same number of wheels as all of us altogether…

Looks like fun. I should be getting mine this week :):):). My husband’s “stink-eye” dissolved when I told him UDC only had 15 of these and gave me his blessing to order one. Thank you for the temporary limitation UDC :D.

Stickin it to the man.

…marathon in Germany (Düsseldorf) last month…
quite windy crossing that bridge.
(1.53.31 !)

On May 6th I was 5000km from home without my unicycle, so I went and borrowed a bike. That evening (I was working on an independent feature film production) we shot one scene that was a single, 3 minute shot. It was a long and hard performance for the actor, and very tricky technically (extremely slow dolly with some tricky focus changes and framing changes). It took 33 takes to get it right.

So that’s why, afterward, I was riding really fast. To let out some of the tension. I was following (racing) the gear van (they didn’t know). Now, I know 11% is nothing too crazy and it was only 0.5 km long, but pair that with an extra wheel, free-wheeling, high gears, the tension mentioned previously, rain, and my stupidity at the terminating T-intersection that I forgot was at the end, at 11:30pm, and, well…

After the crash I didn’t want to be a bother so jumped up and waved the van on to let them know I was ok (they weren’t watching any way). Went to ride home and missed the turn… rode an extra 7km and back, and then to the place I was staying. May 7th I got up, or rather tried to, and couldn’t. No chance of putting weight on my right knee. Showered, went (hopped on my left leg) to the location to start shooting. And then one of the crew’s mom convinced me to go to the hospital. She was convinced I’d bumped my head pretty hard too.

Nothing broken, but stretched some ligaments (forget which ones). The doctor called it “second degree”. He showed me how my leg could bend out sideways a bit (cool, but I guess that’s bad). Third degree would have been flopping around. Four weeks in a knee immobilizer! Aaaah! That’s basically a brace which holds the leg straight and prevents the knee from bending. Four weeks and no cycling! (though I did one-foot bike a couple times). 24-hour record attempt ambitions for this season: crushed.

I didn’t ask the doctor if I should be taking it easy or if I should not do the planned 15 km hike/ 1300 meter climb up and down the Okanagan mountain to get to that shooting location (six days after the crash), or the crazy hikes through the Juan de Fuca trail (week and a half after) for that location, or the 455 and 1860 meter canoe portages through Algonquin park (two weeks) for fun on the bad leg. So I just did them. My left leg became very strong and I’m sure I’ve screwed up some hip muscles. Left thigh: 21". Right: 19".

Well, went to my family doctor here last Thursday, who said I could ditch the brace! Said I could ride again, but that I should ease back into my training distances. I was going to swap my 100mm cranks up to something more manageable to start off, but couldn’t find my crank puller, so just went with it. And it went surprisingly well! Felt way more in control than when I first switched from my winter 150s to the 100s a couple months ago.

Today I went to the physio-therapist, who said my knee looked almost good-as-new (between comments about my boniness, lack of “meat”, and muscle-size differences between my legs). His prescription: more unicycling. Haha! Yes!

My second ride was last Saturday, to the Ottawa Capital City VeloFest. It was wicked. I missed the start, but ended up riding a bunch with the tandem-recumbent human-powered train engine! After enjoying some wicked live music, I was able to join the train again for part of the way home, along with a two-wheeled recumbent and a three-wheeled recumbent. We were blowing drunken minds, let me tell you. That’s where the photo’s from.

Just got back from my favourite and toughest nearby hill, Blair Road hill. Nothing like the previously-mentioned Searidge Hill in Victoria, but with some nice steep sections and quite long none-the-less. First run felt great! I got to the top and a biker caught up with me, so we decided to race it. I should have brought water with me. He beat me, but only just, and not by more than the leads he caught in the flat sections. The steepest parts of the climb, and those less-steep parts right after were where I was catching him. But it felt amazing. It was far faster than I’ve ever ridden that hill. And no knee pain!

It felt so good, I’m thinking I might try really hard and get back on training-track for a 24-hour attempt this season after all… we’ll have to see I guess…

So glad to be back riding, I feel so happy!

Today I went on a 16-mile ride around my home town (Atascadero, California) and found something that looked like it belonged in the kids section of a theme park. It appeared to be some kind of play house with animal characters and a slide. There’s also a huge totem pole. Not pictured is the horse barn and super tall windmill. It reminded me of when I used to ride my bike (gasp!) in Santa Clarita, California and I would ride past this half-scale replica of an old west town.

How did you come about using the universal power image as your uni logo? I’ve been using a modified version of it as my avatar for years! No big deal, just curious…

There were some cool photos taken of me and some riders in Melbourne for gettyimages last weekend:

One even has a wallaby jumping in front of the shot!