Pictures of your latest ride

Really like your 36er Munirocks!

That’s a great area, I often ride my motorbikes up that way when going to North Wales.

Will have to visit with my 29" Uni soon.

I’m glad you like it! It’s great fun too. Maybe I’ll get it schlumpfed soon.

I also like your 36er! But how is that bike saddle compared to the fusion freeride (if you’ve had that one) for long rides? And did you make that touring bar? It’s truly awesome looking! I’d sure like to make one like that. :smiley:

^^^^Ditto.

Looks like one that could be made with minimal welding/pipe bending, too.

Build/buy details, please?

search

Thanks! I’m not going back to unicycle seats for cokering. Maybe for some very technical riding without a handle, but I don’t think so. I definitely find it more comfortable with this seat. But it did take a bit to get used to it and get everything dialed in right. I didn’t try the KH09 FFR yet, though. This seat does get a bit uncomfortable after 1,5-2h of road riding, but without the numbness of the crotch I used to suffer from with the KH. I guess aero bars like on Brycer’s huge handle bars would help with that, but I don’t plan to go there.

One major thing to get used to is that you can’t pull up on the handles when going uphill. But you can push them down or pull them to the front, if that makes sense. So with the right crank length climbing works very well now.

The handle bar is an improvisation of all aluminum bicycle parts that happened to fit together perfectly.

I found a threadless (head-set-style) stem that had exactly the right inside diameters to go onto the Nimbus frame instead of a seat clamp and to put a 27,2 seat post in as a boom. I modified the stem by sawing off the front part and adding a slit in order to be able to squeeze it tight with a large (I think 32mm) single bolt seat clamp. The seat post had a large enough inside diameter to fit around the quill stem. Then I cut up a regular steering bar and added some nice bar ends.

Oh and I put the brake lever on sideways, in order not to break it in a fall, which of course had happened to me before. I could only fit it to the bar after the clamp part had snapped on the opposite side of the screw. Otherwise the handle bar would have been way too thick for the brake lever to go on. With the spooner on it works like a charm now.

So if you feel like making one like this, go for it. I highly recommend it. It is probably not cheaper than buying a KH t-bar, although you don’t have to get the new seat then… But it is a fun little project.

As far as stability and rigidity is concerned, it doesn’t show any signs of fatigue until now. No flexing issues either. I hope it’ll stay that way for a while.

Thanks for that good info, I am going to make one…hopefully! :smiley:

Why should I do work, when you’ll do it for me?:smiley:

Oh. . .and you did it wrong. That thread has nothing to do with the subject bars. Thanks for playing.

Had a really fun and challenging ride today. It started in a scenic mineral springs park - pic attached - then forked into a single track loop cut into hillside on both sides of a creek. Also lots of man made obstacles on a track that circles a lake nearby. Going to return with the 20 and 24!
http://unplannedismounts.com/2009/05/20/twin-bridges-loop/

The wider rim on the 29’er is great!

Hermosa beach about 1 hour ago. Nice little 15 mile ride. Look how cool the bike stand works for my 36er! It stays up because of the friction brake shifter is on, locking the wheel! :sunglasses:

Got up at 6 this morning and went on a bit of a dawn raid. 7am train to Cromford, then up the hill there, 254m of ascent at 7:20 in the morning is a great way to start the day! Then down singletrack back to the canal (pictured) and along there, up and down through Crich Chase (more wooded singletrack descending!), then back home on the road, with a shortcut through my localest trail on the way home, a nice technical singletrack on the side of a really steep hill.

All in all this was a nice 13 miles or so, and 700m of climbing (and the same amout of descending) all before the day had really started. How cool is that!

All part of the planning for a monster ride on the 30th May, which is more than 40 miles, at least 1000m of descending (probably more like 1500) and the same of climbing, with almost all the descending done on proper good singletrack.

Oh yeah, a few more pictures on the map

Joe

temp.jpg

Nice way to start the day! And very convenient to be able to see it all on a map afterwards even with the pictures attached to the locations where they were taken.

If the next iPhone comes with something like that and a decent camera I will buy it for sure.

The part where you maxed at 68.1km/h must heve been where you coasted all the way down from the hill, right?

I’m off for a little muni. Going to practice my gliding and hopping and stuff.

My map comes off Nokia SportsTracker on a Nokia N95, it is super simple, you just start it when you start a ride. When you finish, you go to somewhere with wifi (or 3g), and click ‘upload to web’, and it finds the pictures and uploads everything for you. Magic.

There is an iPhone app that records the trails, but I’m not sure if it uploads pictures yet, or uploads the maps to the web easily.

The Android phones (t-mobile G1) have a thing that does similar stuff, and I seem to remember Spencer did a map with pictures on it.

I think the 68km/h was actually on a pretty unrideable uphill. I guess I was just pushing my unicycle really fast!

Joe

That’s really neat Joe, cool when technology works like that.

Good on ya for starting the day on the uni!

The one I posted on this thread a couple of weeks ago was kind of cheating as I added the photos in manually afterwards at around the location I thought they were taken. There’s been a major Android update since and the camera now adds the GPS location in the exif tags. I’ve not really played with it since the update though, but I think you still have to still have to pick which photos to add although I assume it will locate them automatically for you.

STM

Windows Mobile can do it too but you need extra software.

I give it a year before Skynet blows us all to sh*t.

today. 600vm uphill. snowfields. thuderstorm. rockfalls. 1600vm downhill. lot of walking (also downhill). 3 1/2 hour. i’m done…for today! :stuck_out_tongue:

That first pic scares the hell out of me just looking at it :astonished:

Wow.