Pictures of your latest ride continued

Same path, different wheel/crank (29"/117mm & 36"/127mm).

Riding the 29" (as I do most of the time) I can relax and just flow. Sometimes its almost a bit to easy.
Riding the 36" (that a rarely do) still needs my full attention all the time and during the same ~10km route there are quite a few moments where I’m on the edge of balance/control on the big wheel but it also feels like a bigger accomplishment when I return home without any UPDs.

17 Likes

Here’s the other uni I bought recently. A 26” DM Engineering. I put a knobby tire on it the other day so I have more options for Az muni weekend.

I practiced riding up some rocks, small curbs, ruts, and hopping today since I haven’t done any muni or any other technical riding in a long time. I’ll probably actually go ride some mountain trails later this week.

11 Likes

I think I’d rather zigzag up the road than down the road, even it is more tiring in the end. Nice challenge.

I did my first muni ride in a year or two Thursday. This new uni is also much nicer than the old sun I used to ride. Hopefully I’ll be able to get one or two more rides in before the Az Muni Weekend this Saturday.

14 Likes

The desert looks beautiful! Great place to ride compared to the snowy mountains around here. Hopefully Sedona will be clear this weekend!

Oh wow I hadn’t even considered that Sedona might have snow. I am so used to having very little weather aside from clouds and maybe rain.

They had snow a couple of weeks ago when that big front came through. I think we’ll be good…after checking the forecast, it says we’ll be clear and warm. Any Ideas where the meetup is taking place?

Are you out riding the McDowell mountains?

A huge pile of wood.
One unicycle.
One unicyclist…

7 Likes

No, that’s phoenix mountain preserve.

As for the muni weekend, we’re still waiting for a schedule.

1 Like

Me, somewhere in BC, riding my weird combo of mad4one and Kris Holm. The second on, me behaving badly, riding without any protective gear not that long after my last accident where I almost swore off the sport.

11 Likes

Took my usual route along the beach today, was hoping to do 20mi but was cut short after 3mi. Yesterday was very windy and blew large amounts of sand over the path. I UPD’d going through what looked like a small patch but ended up being deeper than I thought. Probably riding too fast and crazy for the conditions.

But good news is the slow down reminded me to finally take a picture to share :call_me_hand:t3:

12 Likes

I have found that the #1 way for my wheel to slip sideways is by riding over dry sand or dirt that was washed over the concrete by rain/water, or blown over the concrete by wind.

I haven’t gone down yet, and I don’t know how far the wheel actually slips to the side, but it normally feels like about 6 inches before it regains traction, or before my brain & body correct.

It’s a sketchy 6 inches.

Yeah usually sand isn’t a big obstacle, it’s more fun to try navigating through if anything. I’m still a bit shocked I went down, bummed more than anything really. Have to take a few days off to fully recover until I can attack the sandy path with my 36er again.

I’m not sure how much it makes me slide usually, around 6in sounds about right though. I’ve seen bicyclists rush through sections that drift their wheel nearly a foot until they whip back into alignment. Seems wild.

From my ride yesterday

9 Likes

And from today, this time with just the crappy camera on my feature phone’s camera (2MP)

12 Likes

After a long Time off non Unicycling, because my shoulder surgery i Ride today the first 10 km in this year. i missed very so go out with the Unicycle.

16 Likes

Recovery ride after recent injury, saw a Trek Madone

10 Likes

24x3" Duro 145mm

14 Likes

That’s forkin’ cool.

Paint the fork and seatpost white for a disappearing act in winter.
The ultimate wheel illusion. (just full of 'em today!)

(edited once for hillbilly spelling)