Pics and Comments: SemCycle 28"

All,

I put up a photo gallery of my new Semcycle 28" touring unicycle. I got it today and assembled it and rode it around a bit. I then snapped some pics. I also have pics of my other unicycles, and my new custom unicyclist pen.

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/album51?&page=1

I had to learn a forward (non-rollback) mount to get on this thing, and I did it! I really had to fling myself forwards, but I can freemount it. Whew! It is a fun and pleasant ride. I think I am going faster but it is so hard to tell, it flows so naturally.

The one downside is that the new Miyata (cheap) design MAY be rearing its ugly head. Unicycle.com does a great air conversion. I did notice that one of my screws on the bottom (see above gallery) of the seat was such that it couldn’t be tightened, so eventually it came off and I lost it riding. All the other screws are stable and snug. I don’t know if this has to do with the new Miyata seat construction people have been complaining about.

You tell me.

Anyway, I love the cycle so far. Well, I will probably replace the pedals with something with pins. I can see I will need the gripping action here big time (I rode in the rain that was falling as I finished assembling it). The ride is smooth, I can’t wait until the weekend when I have more time to really get into it. I rode for about an hour only.

Anybody know what PSI the 29" Nanoraptor should be, when inflated properly?

Whee!

Lewis

Re: Pics and Comments: SemCycle 28"

The carriage bolt is still there, you just lost the washer and acorn nut. You can get a replacement washer and acorn nut at a hardware store that stocks metric hardware. You’ll need a 6mm acron nut.

You can use the low strength (blue) Locktite to keep the acorn nuts on. Any bolt under the seat that is not Loctited will eventually come loose.

john_childs

my NanoRapter has 65 lbs in it,30lbs is to low and not very fast.its also a little skinny to have only 30 lbs. in it

if you would read the side of the tire you would see it recomends 35-65 lbs

John,

the bolts on miyata seats are gold,the ones on animations newly made seat are silver.i’m willing to guess that its faster for uni.com to buzz off the super tight bolts with a Dremel and use new bolts altogether,so those that come with an "air seat conversion"may not be metric but american sized.

Jagur,

Oops I overlooked any markings on the tire in my joy-inspired haste. :slight_smile:

Lewis

It would be sacrilege to cut off the carriage bolts that Miyata uses in the seats. They are custom carriage bolts. You cannot get the same style of carriage bolt anywhere but on a Miyata seat. If you loose one or strip the threads on one you cannot get a replacement without buying a new seat.

But you’re right. The ones on there are probably replacements. If they are replacements they are going to be non-metric. Most likely they would be the standard 1/4 x 20. At least that is an easy size to find at any hardware store.

john_childs

Congrats on your new mount onto your new mount. Of COURSE you did it!

What an adorable little litter you’ve got going there. Any plans for another new addition? I trust that you will have 1000 of the custom pens made, all with your name, and bring them to NAUCC/UNICON for distribution?

How’s your friend who is in the habit of saying, “not tonight…I’ve got a headache”?

Animation, your mounting scenario sounds similar to what I had to do to get on my new 26" MUni. Your wheel-size increase is definitely greater than mine, but with the bigger uni, I, too, had to do the massive heave forward.

Also, I saw in your gallery, you mentioned your Hunter has developed a squeak somewhere around the hub. My new Pashley did the same thing after like 2 days (!) When I was at the bike shop getting them to hack an inch off my seat post, we did some investigating. It turned out the bolts that connect the fork to the lollipop were pretty tight, but had just enough give to cause a squeak when I put weight on the uni. They tightened those bolts up and squeak go-away. I don’t know how that hunter frame connects to the hub, but you might take a look at that.

Re: Pics and Comments: SemCycle 28"

In article <nbrazzi.5h5xb@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
nbrazzi <nbrazzi.5h5xb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)Also, I saw in your gallery, you mentioned your Hunter has developed a
)squeak somewhere around the hub. My new Pashley did the same thing
)after like 2 days (!) When I was at the bike shop getting them to hack
)an inch off my seat post, we did some investigating. It turned out the
)bolts that connect the fork to the lollipop were pretty tight, but had
)just enough give to cause a squeak when I put weight on the uni. They
)tightened those bolts up and squeak go-away.

I had the same problem on my Pashley. The Pashley frame conducts
sound so well (it’s like a tuning fork) it was difficult to figure out
where the sound was coming from; I started out by tightening all the
seat hardware, then the cranks and pedals. Eventually I tracked it
down after I removed the seat entirely and reproduced the sound by
flexing the frame by hand.
-Tom

Harper,

Thanks! I was dreading having to learn that mount. Actually, even with much effort, I kept failing on the 24" cycles. The additional mass of the 28" and its additional size allowed and required me to get it. In the process, I think I may have learned that I need to go over the top of my balance point on the 24". I never actually flung myself that far forward before, I was used to only coming up just behind my balance point … which makes sense in the context of doing a rollback mount, but not for the forward mount.

Sadly, I won’t be coming to NAUCC / UNICON. I was coming up for the whole thing, but part of the adventure was driving in my friend’s truck, saving money by camping, etc. It wont be the same without him, so I probably won’t go this year. He didn’t feel comfortable taking so much time off. So, I think this year I will pass. Maybe next year. I’m always a little nervous about taking trips by myself. It isn’t the same, somehow.

As for the collection, yeah it is growing nicely. I plan to add a 20" trials unicycle to the herd, and if I learn to handle the 28" well then I may get a Coker. I also still want a tough 26" street cycle, so at some point I’ll do that as well.

I doubt that I’d get into riding a giraffe, but who knows what will come after the first 7? :slight_smile: As long as I have fun and develop new unicycle interests, I’ll keep on growing them. :slight_smile:

Same, unfortunately, and still stubborn as ever. But we all love him just the same. :slight_smile:

To Nbrazzi:

Thanks for the tip. I may take my cycle in and see if they can do anything. It makes me nervous though, I don’t know how much they know (if any) about unicycles. I could test them out by letting them try their hand at putting my new Schwinn wheel set on the old Schwinn. :slight_smile: I also hope to visit the MUC (Memphis Unicycle Club) soon because Tommy can probably help me out, he knows a lot about cycles of all kinds, and anything he did to my cycle, good or bad, would at least be done from the perspective of love and tender care and respect for the cycle. :slight_smile:

Lewis

RE: Pics and Comments: SemCycle 28"

> the process, I think I may have learned that I need to go over the top
> of my balance point on the 24". I never actually flung myself that far
> forward before, I was used to only coming up just behind my balance
> point …

Yup, everybody trying to learn a rolling mount seems to have this problem.

> probably won’t go this year. He didn’t feel comfortable taking so much
> time off. So, I think this year I will pass. Maybe next year.

There will be no UNICON next year. You don’t know what you’re missing. The
next time UNICON in the United States might not be for another 10 years.

Plus, the next NAUCC is likely to be in a place you can’t drive to anyway.
The only bid so far for 2003 is Puerto Rico.

This convention needs you. The bad economy and other issues are making
financial life very difficult for the hosts. Help 'em out, and have a
life-altering experience in the process.

This goes for everybody!

Stay on top,
John Foss
President, Unicycling Society of America
President, International Unicycling Federation
jfoss@unicycling.com

There is no UNICON next year (it happens every 2 years). And the next one may not be in the US. Who knows when you’ll get to see and meet international riders again.

This is going to be my first UNICON. I didn’t go to the one in China two years ago. UNICON in going to be soooo fun. I can’t wait to meet the UK riders.

If you bring the Hunter I’ll fix that squeak for ya. :wink:

john_childs