Photos of 2005 Kris Holm unicycles now at krisholm.com

John,

I’d have thought that surely with all the different machines, etc running bearings you could find a 1/2" bearing with the inside diameter to fit the new KH axle and the outside diameter to fit your frame. Is this not the case? Have you looked through any product lines other than unicycles? I’m sure you’ve already looked into it…it just surprised me, that’s all.

Andrew

It’s surprising, but there are no stock bearings available that have the correct ID for the Onza/KH hub and a 40 mm OD (or 1-5/8" OD). It’s just not a size that’s available.

Most custom frames have been made to fit 40 mm OD bearings. Some (like my older KH Pro) were made to fit 1-5/8" OD bearings. The changeover to hubs that use a 42 mm OD bearing leaves those of us with legacy frames in a bit of a predicament. Oh well… We’ve still got Profile which is still a good hub.

Torker DX uni’s come with 40mm OD and 20mm ID bearing stock…ive posted this before… that size is out there its just really hard to find separatly for some reason.

here is my thread about this rare size.http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=35464&highlight=40mm

I had forgotten about that. And I’m still surprised at the bearing size that Torker uses. How are people going to find replacement bearings for their Torker unicycles? Is Torker stocking those bearings and selling them as replacements?

If those Torker bearings are available that would be a very good thing. It would mean that people with older frames will be able to use the Onza/KH hub.

Nothing is indestructable but after 6 months of testing the hub is as-new. The cranks have been around for a lot longer than that and for almost everyone have been more than strong enough. I know a few really hard-on-your-equipment riders that have bent the cranks before, but that’s the exception and the same thing happens with every other crankset.

Kris