Philosophy and the art of unicycling

Yesterday on my ride I experienced one of those existential moments - when I rode to a junction which gave me a choice of a long hard route or a shorter easier route, and didn’t know which way I’d choose until I actually turned. And being of a philosophical disposition (read “pretentious”) I got to thinking about philosophy and the art of unicycling…

Definitely, it’s an existentialist sport, because it constantly puts the rider in the position of making decisions, and living withthe consequences of those decisions. Will you go the long way or the short way, the hard way or the easy way, the new way or the well known way? Have you bitten off more than you can chew? Will your legs hold out? You’re committed to the descent… but was it a mistake? Will I attempt this drop? This is existential angst at the cutting edge.

Sartre said that you are your own project in the world; you are the sum of your decisions and actions, and we could say the same of the unicyclist during one particular ride, or in terms of a career which might develop into one of the various disciplines. My decision to take up unicycling ‘seriously’ was totally unexpected; I was looking on the internet for folding bicycles, when I followed a link. ‘Fate’ presented me with the stimulus, but the decision was mine - and I’ve surprised myself.

But there’s more to philosophy than all that French stuff.

Plato argued that everything has a ‘form’ - that a single perfect example of every item exists in ‘heaven’, or in the mind of God, and that all the things we see on earth are imperfect copies. That is why we have many different items we call ‘tables’ or ‘chairs’. They are different from each other, but they share something of the ‘form’ of the ideal table or chair in heaven.

Well, what are freestyle, MUNi, or trials if not attempts to get as near as possible to that perfect idea of what riding a unicycle should be? The perfect ride involves a smooth and controlled mount, a swift and balanced journey without hesitation or wobble, and no UPDs. The perfect jump takes off ‘just so’ and lands perfectly balanced. We never achieve that perfection, but it is the idea of a perfect freemount, a ride, a jump, a stunt, that we strive to emulate. Without the idea of a perfect side mount, I could never have set out to learn the sidemount. My sidemount isn’t perfect, but it is as close to that ideal as I can achieve.

And the Stoics? Surely unicyclists are Stoics? Seneca argued that the wise man enjoys what he has, but his happiness does not depend on it. The wise man can lose things that other men might value, yet remain contented, and self contained, and balanced in himself. Which must be why the unwise are so eager to point out that we’ve lost our back wheels, or handlebars, or crossbars, but we smile serenely, and continue, self contained, content with the remaining wheel and seat, and balanced in ourselves.

Their rivals were the Epicureans, who believed that the pleasure is the ultimate good. However ‘eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die’ is an unfair simplification, because they believed in the pursuit of pleasure through more worthy means. And remember the old man and lady who asked me why I rode, was it ‘just for fun’? Well, unicycling is something we do ‘just for fun’ - there is no doubt of that, but it can only be fun if we put the effort in,make the sacrifice of time, and mental and physical energy, to develop the skills and stamina we need. Unicycling is the pursuit of pleasure through self improvement: improvement of skill, strength, fitness, and the pleasure of sharing those skills and teaching others. We are Epicureans.

Finally, my signature line, which is a genuine quotation, shows that even Master Kong (Confucius is a Latinization of his name) was a unicyclist in his spare time.

deep.

Re: Philosophy and the art of unicycling

Brilliant! I would never have thought of putting it like that.

I still find it annoying to hear those comments cos, even if they’re meant as just jokes, they do imply that there is a lack, almost as if I’m really wanting to ride a bicycle but can’t afford one and am making do with one wheel.

And I guess the reason I still find it difficult not to inwardly cringe whenever I hear someone start to say it is that I’m sad that the instintive reaction of the ‘man in the street’ is one fueled by notions of loss/negativity than what I hope they are really feeling, which is that they’ve seen someone having a great time doing something that is good in itself.

Mike- have you ever read ‘Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainance’?

If not I think you’d appreciate it, it’s not about zen at all but has a lot of stuff derived from Western philosophy and Greek philosophy applied to a life of wheeled roaming.

I did a degree in philosophy many years ago and one of the things I picked up from ‘Zen and the …’ was the way the word ‘just’ is slipped into an argument to cleverly put down a point.

The example from the book was in relation to ‘quality/morality’ being what we choose, and someone then says- “but then morality is just what we like”.

Ever since I always watch out for the word ‘just’ in a debate and often find that by removing it from what has been said you can see that there is no real content in the statement.

I mention this cos of the couple you mention who asked if your reason for unicycling was ‘just for fun’- as if it being fun is not enough reason.

This particular reply is largely off topic, in the sense of having little if anything to do with unicycling…

Yes, I have read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. To some extent I had it in mind when formulating the idea for starting a thread on philosophy and the art of unicycling. (Note the subtly parallel title!)

I found the early part of Zen (etc.) stimulating, but the later part sort of went off into a bit of a spiral. It was like the author had a good title, and the germ of a good idea, but too many mental problems to keep the book focused.

It’s an interesting thought that many members of the public pick up on the absence or inadequacy of the unicycle, rather than the extra skill or courage needed to ride one. I’m not sure you’re right, though. I think the negative comments are in the minority, but we notice them more.

We are inconsistent here: we all appreciate positive comments, but we feel that people are rude or out of order if they comment negatively.

As for the word ‘just’ (in the sense of ‘only’, rather than ‘fair’) I agree. It is one of a number of specific ‘dishonest’ techniques of argument listed and discussed in Straight and Crooked Thinking by Robert Thouless. (Not presently in print, but buy a copy if ever you see it on sale. Everyone should read it.)

Back to unicycling: most of my original post on this thread was tongue in cheek, except perhaps the existentialist bit. Of all the various philosophy I have read, one of the most personally moving books was Existentialism and Humanism by Sartre, which is (more or less) the text of a lecture he gave. The point is that we think we have the power to decide, but we never know what we will decide until we do; we think we know what we think, or cherish, but we never know how much until we are put in the position of having to decide. Spike Milligan put it more succinctly with his comment, “I’m a hero wid [with] coward’s legs”.

And when unicycling (or motorcycling, for that matter) I never really know what I’m going to do until I do it. My 20 miles on the Coker without a dismount just sort of happened; my 40 miles the other day started as a vague plan to do 28 miles; my 20 on a 20 developed as the day progressed; my ‘two bridges’ ride started as a ‘stroll’ around the lake.

And the angst comes from understanding this and firstly not knowing what I will decide (will I give up and turn back?) and not knowing if I’ve made a bad decision (am I too far from home?).

In this sense, unicycling really does give me an insight into the sort of person I am.

The search…

For me unicycling is selfrevealing experience perpetuating my lifetime fascination with the wheel.:)TU.

I am currently reading Zen and the art of motocycle mantinance lol

I am reading about plato and how much of an ass he was lol

Who cares if the crazy guy likes him? I sure at hell don’t!

(Just thought i would add my 2 cents)

At work, some of the time I deal with mopey bad attitudes, fast paced impossible deadlines, stress, high blood pressure, some jerks and stupid people.

When I’m about to hop up a curb with my unicycle, non of that is in my head.

At that moment, I “just” want to clear that curb without busting my arse!

Re: Philosophy and the art of unicycling

Mikefule wrote:
> This particular reply is largely off topic, in the sense of having
> little if anything to do with unicycling…

I have once described myself as a Zen unicyclist. You can’t be one and
then claim the two are un-connected.

> I found the early part of Zen (etc.) stimulating, but the later part
> sort of went off into a bit of a spiral. It was like the author had a
> good title, and the germ of a good idea, but too many mental problems
> to keep the book focused.

I find the opposite - I’ve read the whole book once, and the last 100
pages four times. I’ve read another Pirsig book (“Leila”?), but that was
somewhat less memorable.

> We are inconsistent here: we all appreciate positive comments, but we
> feel that people are rude or out of order if they comment negatively.

Standard human defensive response - not very Zen.

> As for the word ‘just’ (in the sense of ‘only’, rather than ‘fair’) I
> agree. It is one of a number of specific ‘dishonest’ techniques of
> argument listed and discussed in Straight and Crooked Thinking by Robert
> Thouless. (Not presently in print, but buy a copy if ever you see it on
> sale. Everyone should read it.)

We do seem to have read some of the same books…

> Back to unicycling: most of my original post on this thread was tongue
> in cheek, except perhaps the existentialist bit. Of all the various
> philosophy I have read, one of the most personally moving books was
> Existentialism and Humanism by Sartre, which is (more or less) the text
> of a lecture he gave. The point is that we think we have the power to
> decide, but we never know what we will decide until we do; we think we
> know what we think, or cherish, but we never know how much until we are
> put in the position of having to decide. Spike Milligan put it more
> succinctly with his comment, “I’m a hero wid [with] coward’s legs”.
>
> And when unicycling (or motorcycling, for that matter) I never really
> know what I’m going to do until I do it.

I take this one step further, and take the view I haven’t decided to do
anything until I’ve embarked on doing it. Otherwise, I may just have
meant to do it, but everyone means to do lots of stuff they never
actually do. Mind you, I also end up doing lots of stuff I didn’t mean
to do…

Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Conscientious objection is hard work in an economic war.