Personal worst ever UPD, pedal considerations

Ask and you shall receive.

UPD = UnPlanned Dismount

UPD stands for “unplanned dismount” and is a phrase that everyones gives credit to David Stone for although he frequently denies coining it.

Search, search, search. It’s a button available for finding this stuff out on your own. It’s near the top of the page.

Glad it’s only a grade 1. I love GS’n down a hill on the Coker, big fun. I use pinned pedals and climbing rubber shoes to try and keep the feet on the pedal. Good luck with the recovery, and keep those cuts clean, infection is a bad thing.

If my sitting on my butt for a week or two took no skin off hers, I would agree.

Since I am, however, a stay-at-home-dad with two kids, 9 & 6, my being immobile for even one weekday can really screw up my most excellent mate’s schedule.

I have a small business which would suffer, too, but she’s the full-time, benefit-receiving, most-of-the-income, worker in the family. We (I) like to keep her happily working by holding up my end of the bargain.

Aside from wrist guards, that was my “plan” that ride, too. Gnarly.

Re: MCL damage level
Well the doc said “probably” grade 1, but I just wanted to know about surgery or not. Thank goodness his advice was just to exercise wearing a brace for 2 or 3 weeks. (Oh, and not to uni if I was going to fall off again.)

Re: GSing down hills
It’s truly as fun as any activity I’ve ever done. Just gotta keep my feet on the pedals.

Re: shoes
What exact shoes do you ride with? Mine are some lightwt hikers on a good deal from Sierra Trading Post, but not quite 5.10 rubber or anything.

A pair of Vans skateboard shoes I have stick really good, but they’re a little heavier, and I always thought of them as too sticky for anything but trials. Now I’ll reconsider.

I go with a pair of Vans too. Flat skaty shoes seem to work weel with pinned pedals.

Steveyo,
Is this kind of what you were doing before the crash, ahh that weightless feeling, then that carving feeling, then that weightless. It is one of the most fun activities a human can do, but risky.

Glad the injury checked out reasonably ok!

What is Coker Slaloming? I assume it’s making banked turns back and forth to slow down while going down hill. Is that the idea?

I love doing banked turns and circles on level ground (Coker are wonderful rides) is it similar?

Uh, yep. Only with 1000 ft hills where the Maroon Bells are.

Just wondering if by wearing jeans this “shredding” of your leg could have been prevented? I usually wears jeans and have gotten slapped by the pedals a couple of times but i still havent been raked by the pins it just end up brusing. Although my falls havent been near as bad, im just curious if you think jeans would have helped.

Maybe, but the pin-gouging was less concern than the knee-tweaking.