Pedals

So what’s to stop you from simply powdercoating your own pedals? The color of a part is the last thing you should consider, since, unless it’s a rim, it’s going to have all the color stripped off in a good 2-5 rides. (Joey Cohn’s white muni frame lost all the color from the shoulders near the crown in 1 ride at cmw 04.

As for the snafu’s, they are extremely nice in some respects, but miserable in others. I have 2 sets of them, 1 I bought for $18 and another was given to me used. I haven’t taken apart the bearings, the only maintainence I’ve done on them is to replace 2-3 pins and locktite them. 1 set is nearly shot, and the only thing keeping me from replacing them is that in the end they still work.

I have taken to picking a certain side of each pedal, and marking it as the kill zone. I make sure that side is always down. On my left snafu, the one I got used, one side still has all of the original pins, and the other side doesn’t even have threads left for pins.

I cracked the body on my old snafu left side, so it’s soon to go, and I bent the spindle on a 5’ drop with a stiff landing on the right new pedal. I will either be making my next set of pedals or buying some Jim C’s.

Has anyone tried the Jim C magnesium ones? They are 1/4 lb less than the aluminum ones, and when they have no life left, they will make a hell of a funeral pyre for themselves.

How come you never see pedals like these on unicycles?

Because thosed kinds of pedals suck. Tha aluminum cages are easily crushed, and pedalgrabs destroy the grip on them, among with other easy ways to damage those pedals.

The only time I’ve ever used bear trap pedals was on my racing bike. They’d be pretty worthless on a uni. They can’t take abuse, which is why replacement cages are sold for them.

k