Pedals

So after a weeks break from unicycling to recover. i decided i could wait no longer, and that it’d be worth the (slight) pain and went to the park for a couple of hours riding.
it was pretty good all in all, i’m averaging 30-40 foot, and i think i’m getting the hang of turns.

but because widnes has almost continual rain, i was riding in the wet (it wasnt raining at the time, but it had been earlier in the day, so the ground was still wet) and my foot kept slipping off the pedal, which led to some ‘unplanned dismounts’

is this a wide-spread problem, or should i invest in some good pedals to replace the stock ones i got with my nimbus II?

as always, your help is much appriciated.

Cheers,
Matt - IUF level 0 :slight_smile:

Re: Pedals

The uncrontrolled release of H2O from the sky is a problem we are looking into. There is a possable link to something called “clouds”. Untill the mater is resolved, please use a cleated pedal for your own safty. Thank you.

…and shinguards :slight_smile:

The Union pedals I use do a decent job of keeping my feet on them when
they’re wet, and they won’t chew your legs up if they hit you.

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=2&subcat=23&c-
at=Union&L2=Pedals&L3=Union

John

Dreddy_Matt wrote:

> So after a weeks break from unicycling to recover. i decided i could
> wait no longer, and that it’d be worth the (slight) pain and went to the
> park for a couple of hours riding. it was pretty good all in all, i’m
> averaging 30-40 foot, and i think i’m getting the hang of turns.
>
> but because widnes has almost continual rain, i was riding in the wet
> (it wasnt raining at the time, but it had been earlier in the day, so
> the ground was still wet) and my foot kept slipping off the pedal, which
> led to some ‘unplanned dismounts’
>
> is this a wide-spread problem, or should i invest in some good pedals to
> replace the stock ones i got with my nimbus II?
>
> as always, your help is much appriciated.
>
> Cheers, Matt - IUF level 0
>
> –
> Dreddy_Matt Posted via the Unicyclist Community -
> http://unicyclist.com/forums

To a degree, I have the same problem. When you get better at riding, it’s
less of a problem because the horizontal foot forces get smaller and more
controlled. I am not so vigilant (?) so as to buy better pedals, moreover
I like it if I can shift my feet around during riding to correct foot
placement - with a very grippy pedal that is difficult for me.

Klaas Bil

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 13:05:05 +0000 (UTC), Dreddy_Matt
<forum.member@unicyclist.com> wrote:

>So after a weeks break from unicycling to recover. i decided i could wait
>no longer, and that it’d be worth the (slight) pain and went to the park
>for a couple of hours riding. it was pretty good all in all, i’m
>averaging 30-40 foot, and i think i’m getting the hang of turns.
>
>but because widnes has almost continual rain, i was riding in the wet (it
>wasnt raining at the time, but it had been earlier in the day, so the
>ground was still wet) and my foot kept slipping off the pedal, which led
>to some ‘unplanned dismounts’
>
>is this a wide-spread problem, or should i invest in some good pedals to
>replace the stock ones i got with my nimbus II?
>
>as always, your help is much appriciated.
>
>Cheers, Matt - IUF level 0
>
>
>
>
>–
>Dreddy_Matt Posted via the Unicyclist Community -
>http://unicyclist.com/forums


“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been
picked automagically from a database:” “Arab, Binnenlandse
Veiligheidsdienst, Kosiura”

I put a pair of S&M platform pedals on from my bike, love them… makes riding easier.

Don’t neglect your shoes when looking for grip in the rain. It’s the combination of good shoe with a good pedal that will give you grip in the wet.

Vans shoes that have their square waffle “Off-The-Wall” style tread will grip well in the wet if you have grippy pedals. A plastic BMX style platform pedal like the plastic Odyssey Twisted PC Platform pedals will work OK in the wet when combined with Vans shoes. Metal BMX style platform pedals will work better, but I would avoid the metal pedals until you are level 3 or better because metal pedals will chew up your shin and calf if you slip off.

john_childs

yeah, i wear vans as it is, which is suppose is a good thing.
i was thinking that i might have to wait to get metal pedals too, coz i’ve not really tried freemounting yet, but i’ve managed to hit my shins with my pedals already.

the nimbus, comes with these , but in the future i might upgrade to these

on an unrelated note - other than superglue, do i have any way of stopping the screws on the bumpers of my viscount seat coming out? just when i drop it (which is getting less as time goes by) the screws come more and more loose. and as i’ve found out looking for a black screw on black tarmac is hard. (i couldnt find one of them today :()

Cheers Matt :slight_smile:

Dig out the foam untill you can get at the holes in the frame ( from underneath). Remove screws. Throw them away. Replace with screws of same width, but bairly shorter than gap between seat frame and bracket. Add acorn nuts. Ride.

I used a longer self-tapping screw that was one size up from whatever comes on the Viscount. I had a few of them so I was lucky. The loose screw problem is no more.

I’m still trying to fix the loose screws in my head.

john_childs <forum.member@unicyclist.com> wrote:
> Metal BMX style platform pedals will work better, but I would avoid the
> metal pedals until you are level 3 or better because metal pedals will
> chew up your shin and calf if you slip off.

Pedals do not respect IUF levels and will happily chew shins no matter how
good you are…

Paul (IUF level 0 - but happy to MUni till the cows come home)

Paul Selwood paul@vimes.u-net.com http://www.vimes.u-net.com