pedal weight weenies guide

HTML strips away extra spaces. The forum has an option to post code tags, html tags or php tags around the text to make it monospaced and keep the formatting (spaces and tabs).

Please note :
 1. Weights are for a pair of pedals in grams.
 2. Different site's listed weights for the same pedals were close. 
    Say about 10 g+-
 3. sb and lb means sealed bearing and loose bearing
 4. I'm sorry I left out your favorite pedal  

grams
 DK Iron sb-lb                         879     Ahnold's favorite
 Primo tenderizer alum  lb             794
 Odyssey JC  alum  sb-lb               730     Do you still love em ?
 Snafu   alum          lb              694
 Snafu   alum         sb               640

Primo pro tenderizer  mag  sb         620     Mag can be heavy too !
 Hoffman sole mate  alum   lb          612
 Odyssey twisted    alum               607
 Odyssey JC          Mag   sb          578
 Atomlab trailking   alum   bushing    540     unique bearing design
 DMR V12     alum  sb-lb               520

Eastern      mag   lb                 510
 Primo         mag   sb                470
 DMR V12    mag   sb                   434     60 $  A E Bike
 Odyssey twisted  plastic  lb          411     12 $
 Welgo   mag       sb                  375     pedal falls off if bearing fails
 Welgo MG1    mag  sb                  368     same problem as above ?

DMR V12  mag  sb  with Ti axles       354     100$/pr axles sold separately
 Dimension nylon  lb                   330     8 $   chromoly axle

Surprise ! John has the answer !

Thank you Mr. Childs.:slight_smile: OK, so html was screwy, what option should I have checked ?

Write the post in a text editor that uses a fixed width (monospace) font.

Then copy the text into the forum editor and put the HTML tags around it (you can use the “<>” button in the forum message editor to put the proper tags around the text).

has anyone tried the dimension pedals?

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=PD1097
Could it be just that they are 8$, that no one tries them? This company has an extensive range of pedals, some even lighter ! They have invested in this. :sunglasses:
The JC alum lb pedal is now stock on the 20 " KH. Is this boosting it’s popularity in a way that it’s 730 gram physics could not ?
It is evident that someone learning crank flips or uni spins would benefit from a light set of pedals. Some comment how much better light pedals feel on their steel rimmed Cokers! Many seem quite sure they love their 411 gram odyssey twisted plastics. Is this because they are the best plastic pedal ? Or because they are a featured value product at UDC ? Many claim they are better feeling than heavier pedals, and durable enough for the price. I think they know what they are feeling.:slight_smile:
Could 8 $ be to low for the lightest pedal to sell well? The weight difference between 12 $ 411 gram twisted pc’s and 8 $ 330 gram dimension’s is the same as one saves by adding a 100 $ pair of Ti axles to a set of DMK mags!!!
To top the deal off, no one thinks of adding 70 gram pedal protectors to their 330 gram dimensions. 8 $ is all the protection you could want.:smiley:
Anyway, I have never tried them. Have any of you?:slight_smile:

One more to add to the weight-weenie arsenal - I’ve recently put lightweight rat-trap type pedals on my coker. They are smaller and less grippy than pinned platforms, but with my plastic toe-cup things (about 90g for the pair) they are comfy enough for me. They also have about 1cm less q-factor each than normal platforms (making my shoes very close to the cranks, but with slim, figure-hugging shoes (rather than skater shoes) this is fine). They have very smooth, sealed bearings.

To make the toe-cups stick far enough forward to get the ball of my foot on the axle I have put a 1cm block of wood (weight negligible) between them and the pedal.

Available new from an eBay shop (UK) £12.95 + £2.50 shipping.

Weight per pair: 260g (9.17oz). (That makes ~350g with the toe-clips) :slight_smile:

Sam

red welly of China ?

Just joking on the name LOL . Those pedals look a lot like these
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=PD1091
Do you think they are the same thing ? You like them ? and for how long ?
At 270 grams, you are a true weight weenie.Can you get into a Mc Donalds riding that thing ?:slight_smile:

They seem to be the same concept, only a different brand. The VP ones have a little tag to help with flipping them over into toe-clips, and allen-bolts rather than screws holding the cage.

I like them so far. They do feel less ‘big and solid’ than platforms (I had standard wellgo platforms before), and they are boring black rather than ‘go-faster red’, but I like them. They are very grippy if I wear the right shoes - snug in to the toeclips and the right part of the tread - it feels just as good a contact as clipless cleated shoes do. It’s a slightly better feeling of snug contact and being able to pull through the whole pedal stroke than using toe-clips on platforms had.

I’ve only had them on for over a week, but done a good few hours on and off-road with them now. As my 36er is currently set for muni with 152mm cranks and softer tyre pressure I can’t really compare with ‘fast efficient spinning’ until I go back to road-mode after the Mountain Mayhem 24hr event.

I think they feel lighter, though it’s hard to say, as they feel different too. But near halving the weight of the pedals (was 660g, now 350g) can’t be a bad thing!

Sam

Hmmm. I have some of those sitting around that I meant to put on the coker, but didn’t get round to what with being away. Maybe I’ll pop them on the Schlumpf and have a go.

Would you trust them for proper muni rides, or do you think toeclips are only for cokers?

Joe

Primos rock!

You left out Sun Ringles. $35, about medium weight. Definitely lighter than the Primos.

I don’t think toeclips are worth bothering with for real muni, as it’s too much faff getting into them if you are doing bumpy stuff, and weight saving isn’t as important.

I don’t usually worry about getting stuck in them, even in UPDs.

I’d just go for pinned platforms except for cokering.

Sam

alright, I know this is an older thread, but I found some LIGHT pedals on fleabay. Wellgo MG-1 with Ti spindles, 298g a pair, $116 usd with $15 shipping to anywhere. linky

dealer much?:smiley:

yeah, ill have a misdemeanors worth of “pedal protectors” please.

drilled out aluminium Monty pedals with titanium axles.
238 gr

what about straight up eastern plastics.

plastic pedals suck for trials, pedal grabs destroy them.

they arent that bad from my experience…

they are great for street though. till you grind em down…

well, street and trials demand alot different things, plastics aren’t great when you land on concrete with them.

I need pedals for my new Coker Big One as the stock ones suck. Any suggestions? Preferably any on UDC?

John Long and I use these Magnesium Azonic fusions, and love 'em. Cheap, light, grippy, magnesium.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11540-240_AZOFP2-3-Parts-65-Pedals-and-Cleats/Azonic-Fusion-Magnesium-Pedals.htm

Thanks!