Pedal Thread

Just a follow up on the Nuke Proof Electrons:

http://www.nukeproof.com/pedals/electron-pedals

I now have two sets, black ones on my 29er and yellow ones on Oregon, both sets are holding up perfectly, no failures, awesome grip, pins show no signs of wearing out, nylon body is durable, bearings are tight and spin soooo smooth.

The only modification I’ve made is to cut down the pin under my big toe, it was grinding into my shoe and I didn’t want my new shoes trashed, so I wacked it off with a dremel. Works great, hardly notice the loss, makes it easier to move my foot, but no additional slippage.

The same pedals are going to be sold by Fyxation as the Mesa II, so once those become available you’ll be able to score some in the USA, though who knows if the price or color choices will be better or worse.

See Fat-Bike for a brief review of the Mesa II: http://fat-bike.com/

I own the electrons. After seeing the Mesas I’ve noticed that they have improved them. More metal pins (I missed the ones that go in the middle on the electrons) and no plastic ones on the inner side. They look nice!!

i know terry uses speedplay drillium has anyone els tried them just wondered what you think

Everyone I’ve heard who has them loves them. The main thing they say is Drilliums have a lot of grip.

IMO set screws give more grip than regular ones, but have a poor grip to manuverability ratio when compared to regular screws even when you put in more or longer screws to get the grip you want. For me more shorter screws is better than fewer longer ones.

My Muni has JC’s but the grip wasn’t very good for me, so I kept putting in longer screws. Now they are all 12 mm and grip is just about perfect for me and manuverability is very reasonable, definately better than 10 set screws.

i got the speedplay drillums today went out for a try i dont think the grip was any better than the one that came on my kh i could tell the difference when hopping off a small wall more to stand on im going to get some five ten impacts to go with my nike 6.0 are rubbish and hurt my feet

Hello,
I was not satisfied by the grip og the "KH first mount"plastic pedal :
Studs where to close(keep mud between studs) and to big for the aluminum one and at the second ride one stud broke against a rock.

Modifications :

• Plastic studs filed (sole going down allowing the screw to enter more in the rubber).
  • SHCS M4x10 on the trough hole. From under: it lock the tapered plate in place (Needed by the filling off of the plastic stud).
  • SSS M4x10 on the edge blind holes (caution excessive torque will take out the end of tapered plate).

Like this there is no comparison with the original grip (even with heavy hiking boot for mountain ride), it cost less than a new pair of pedal and keep weight low.

Perhaps it will help somebody wo will more grip…

These showed up at my LBS the other day. They’re called the spank spike pedal.
I was all like “Shut up and take my money!” when I saw them.

How much? I LOVE thoes!

Here, this isn’t a bad price on them. They are spensive though. I’m gonna work two shifts at my LBS for free to get them.

I am building a new trials and i am down to the pedals so what should i get for pedals?

If you can afford it get these. I haven’t tried them, but they seem great, with the 12mm thickness, huge platform, lots of pins, and cold forged bodies! I have size 13 feet and they fit me so they’re plenty big. I’ll give more details when I get/ride them.

So I just got the new spank spike pedals today. I had them out for a ride in the neighborhood on some trails, and I have this to say

Pros
Quite Grippy (10 pins per side)
Insanely thin (12mm)
Lightish (400gm a pair)
Strong so far
Huge platform
Badass looks

Cons
Not Concave (negates grippiness)
They mount very close to the crank (negates platform width)
Price

Other Thoughts
The one thing that bugs me about these pedals is how close they mount to the cranks, since there is no exposed axle. This moves my feet quite close to the cranks. I don’t really see it being a problem, but if I had low or no Q cranks, I feel like my ankles would hit the cranks. This could be improved slightly with a pedal washer perhaps.

Other than that I love these pedals. Once you get used to the low Q of them they’re great! My feet feel super planted and I won’t have to worry about the infuriating “pedal flip” when climbing ever again.

Spank Pedal.jpg

WEs, if you want to grind, you need a pedal that will allow you remove the pins on one side, nylon body is a cheap way to go, not sure if they last longer or shorter than metal. The JC/PC is an option, just be sure and keep them well lubed so the spindle stays smooth.

For trials, cheap and durable, that’s all that matters.

I am looking at some twisted pcs because they are cheep and durable :smiley:

Just ordered some new pedals from Deity, these are the same rebranded pedals as the HT p12A and Nuke Proof Electrons, nylon body and socket head steel pins. It’s my third pair, I sure do like this pedal design, now I have black, yellow, and red :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.deitycomponentsstore.com/deity-compound-pedals.html

They also have green and purple. I had the greens in my checkout, but decided to save a little cash. The purple pedals are sweet, if only I had a purple uni :slight_smile:

I just got some Electrons and they are fantastic, cheap, grippy (might have to put longer pins in but we will see) and very light. :slight_smile:

I may order some of thoes in red for my Urban MUni

Gave them a proper workout today in the pouring rain and deep mud and they were fantastic the pins are just gripy enough that kept your foot planted but enable you to adjust your foot position with a slight lift

After braking my PC pedals, I’m looking for more durable ones. I went to a few bike stores, and these were recommended to me:

Answer Rove FR for 119CHF

http://www.amazon.com/Answer-Rove-FR-Pedal/dp/B003E251UA

NC 17 Sudpin III for 139CHF

http://www.amazon.de/NC-17-Sudpin-Fahrrad-Pedal-schwarz/dp/B001UG7HK4/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1336745202&sr=1-1

DMR vault for 159CHF

Has anyone some experience with some of those? And yeah, they are far too expensive here in Switzerland… :roll_eyes:

What are you looking for in the pedals? If you just want to replace broken plastic pedals, most cheap metal pedals should be plenty strong.