Pedal Clicks

Just assembled a new Uni (Torrker 24" LX) This is my first unicycle in over 20yrs. Very excited, big smile, I was able to get up, and rock back and forth, and scoot down the hall. In moving forward, I noticed (heard and felt) a clicking in my left pedal - seemed to happen at the same point in the rotation. Any ideas? The only part of my assembly that I question is the “45 inch lbs” I was not to exceed on the fork clamps (I don’t have a torque wrench). Also I used a 6" adjustable to tighten the pedals and it was a bit thick so they may not have gotten all the way tight

Thanks,
Peter

I haven’t had that problem on a unicycle before, but common wisdom on bikes is that a click in the same place (as you describe it) is a pedal bearing. Since they’re new pedals, you might try just squirting some lubricant into the pedal axles and see if that does the trick.

I wouldn’t think that this would be a hub bearing, but a simple way to test whether you have your frame clamps on too tightly is to turn the uni upside down and give the tire a gentle spin. It should rotate freely and gradually come to a stop. If it stops really quickly or seems to have significant friction, then loosen up the frame clamps a bit until the wheel rotates without any binding. A little loctite (I use blue) on the frame bolts keeps them from loosening, although your frame may use nylock nuts (my son’s old Torker DX frame had those) which will keep them from backing out on their own.

Oh, and congrats for getting back into unicycling! I did the same thing, about 13 years ago now.

double-check that everything is tight, noises coming from my unicycle have saved my crank arms twice now

If the noise is indeed coming from the pedals and they are tightened fully then it is probably benign(pedal bearing) but if you can actually feel it then it might get annoying enough that you will want new pedals.

I have had this problem before myself and the clicking eventually went away
(it still makes noise if you rotate pedals without putting pressure on them but it is spread out, a low grinding noise). I’m not worried as I have cracked the pedal in question in two places and am likely to replace it soon–plastic pedals aren’t made to last on a unicycle.

Click Free & Sore

Hi. Thanks for replying! I went out and got a thin 15mm wrench from my local bike shop and gave the pedals each a good tightening (yes in the correct direction for R & L) and that seemed to do the trick. Go to get on it today and am feeling a bit saddle sore … anyone got any baby-powder?

Thanks again this is a great site & resource.

PS I knocked/broke my cheap crank nut cover off - is this something I should replace?

Your LBS (local bike shop) would probably have a crank nut cover they’d give you if you asked (offer to toss a buck into the mechanics’ beer fund–that seems to do the trick for all the little stuff at my lbs). But I wouldn’t worry about it, myself, as it’s mostly an aesthetic thing. Those covers have been missing off my 13 year old’s muni for years (and it’s been through lots of rough usage), with no detrimental effects.

As for saddlesoreness, well, if you aren’t wearing biking shorts, give them a try. But if you ride much, you’ll just get used to it. There’s also some stuff called “Butt’r” that long-distance biker’s often use to avoid this kind of problem; apply it before riding. Another product, called “Body Glide,” works well on chafing; it’s found in running supply shops, mostly. Bicycling magazine recommended something called Bag Balm to apply to sore spots after riding; it’s actually made for rubbing on cow’s udders, IIRC, but apparently is also good relief for crotch soreness. Who knew?

I have a set of pedals that clicks, but it turned out just to be the reflectors attached to each pedal. However, it is wise to check first whether the pedals are tight on the cranks as you have done.

-Aaron