Peaks Muni Trip 3 (UK) 18th-20th September 2009

Unfortunatly I won’t be able to get there until Saturday morning :frowning:

I’ll see you all outside the school at 10am Saturday. Looking forward to some excellant muni. See you all then.

Steve

Woot woot. Apart from a functioning unicycle and a helmet light mount I am good to go! :slight_smile:

Putting the muni back together (I’ve been fettling today, but didn’t quite finish…) is tomorrow’s job; however I suspect unless anyone knows any shops that sell Cateye helmet mounts between Cannock and Belper the only way I’ll be doing any night riding is with the power of my mind.

(Actually I could always try that little Tesco torch, it might be bright enough for muni-ing… maybe?)

Phil

As I will not be participating in the night ride you can borrow my head torch. You will need to bring 4 AA batteries.

I’ve got an ex-handlebar Cateye mount. With cable ties, gaffa tape, Velcro and a bit of ingenuity you might be able to mackle it into a helmet mount. I’ll bring it with me just in case.

I’ll be using Tesco torch power myself though. I’ve used it before for night muni and it works pretty good.

STM

Reading these posts has made me really jealous, I wiiiiiish I was going to be there.
With moving house next Friday, at least that’s what has been threatened at the moment, we will need to spend this weekend packing, and for the sake of marital harmony I felt leaving Rachel to pack the house while I went muniing for the weekend was probably not a top plan.
We’ve lived in this house for 23 years so goodness knows what will appear when we empty the attic tomorrow.
Hope you all have a great time and look forward to the right ups and photos.

Tesco torch = just bright enough as long as you don’t ride too close to me.

For the mount, Samways in Derby would quite likely have one, http://www.ukcyclestore.com/contact.html open till 6pm.

http://www.stanleyfearns.co.uk/ in Matlock, but I’m guessing you won’t be coming from that way.

I’ve also got a load of AA batteries, hopefully enough for my torches if anyone is using them & to have 4 spare for ralphs light if someone is borrowing it, will try and charge em up today.

Joe

Hope you all have a great weekend.

It’s got to be less painful than LEJOG!
Gary

After some last minute arrangements I will be there Saturday morning :slight_smile:

Cool. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow Gary.

Steve

Ohmygoodnessme - I can barely walk!

That would be what 33 miles does to legs that haven’t munied in, erm, quite a while…

An excellent weekend - thanks to Joe for arranging everything (and Penny for the cake!)

Here’s one quick picture, of Rob about to do a drop on the Sunday, but I have many, many more I shall put up when I’ve sorted them out…

Phil

Very good weekend. Big thanks to Joe and Penny for letting us stay and feeding/watering us.
The ride on the Saturday was long (For me) and left me broken, although was very good. I don’t know how Steve, Rob, Phil and Joe did an extra 9 miles on top of what we had already done! Mind you, I didn’t mind waiting in the pub :slight_smile:
Sunday started off well, a great downhill trail through the woods, which probably would have been very fast and exciting if I wasn’t feeling under the weather. The riding was finally finished off for me when I threw up at the lunch stop. I have no idea what caused it but I was really annoyed because I missed out on the ‘suicide’ trail! :angry:
I think I will have to make the journey up to Derbyshire again to do it. I have watch the footage from helmet cam and some of it is useable, so when I get my new super-duper HD computer, I will make a short edit.

Thanks everyone for a great weekend!

Yeah, thanks Joe and Penny for making all this possible. And thanks to everyone else there for making it such a great weekend. My heart and mind loved the weekend… but right now, my body hates you all! :slight_smile:

I’ll get the GPS tracks sorted out and online somewhere soon. Will let you know.

Oh, and for those that wondered, my appointment in Sheffield went well this morning, so now I’ve just got to wait :slight_smile:

STM

Yes, thanks to Joe for organising the routes and Penny for all the food and putting up with eight unicyclists and our smelly shoes for the weekend.

I missed Friday’s night ride due to a combusting indicator switch and terrible traffic, but the rest of the rides were excellent. A really good fast-paced xc ride on Saturday afternoon, which Joe reckons we rode faster as a group than he has on his own, which is pretty good going.

And thanks Dane for shaming me into riding some of the stuff on the Sunday techy ride I would normally have chickened out of - they may be easy for you but not for a coward like me :o … in fact I’ve just been out for a ride this morning around one of my local loops and actually found myself seeking out the droppy/steppy parts of the trail rather than the faster routes. Not completely cured but much more confident after yesterday. Dane is really a very good technical muni rider - amazing to watch. One of the sections he and Steve rode (“the hard bit”) was utterly incredible - “the easy bit” was pushing my tech skills (and bravery) to their limits.

The weather was very kind to us as well - almost too sunny in fact (but we can’t really complain about that!)

A few of my more successful pictures are attached.

Rob

3ChasingSteveJoeAndPhil.jpg

Blimey, it isn’t often that a picture makes the trail look almost as hard as it is, but that last pic of Dane looks insane.

Thanks to everyone for coming, good weekend, and I ache a bit today. I’ll probably say something longer once I have some pictures off my camera…

Joe

Just one picture, from the nightride.

What a good weekend. Chips, a nightride, beer, breakfast, a 10 mile ride over big hills, a nice fast downhill, another 10 miles at breakneck speed, then cake and beer and fires. Then a day of slowly increasing technical crazyness, finishing in the suicide trail, which we had fun watching people attempt to kill themselves on.

Joe

Come on, you can’t tantalise us with just that morsel. :astonished: What happened?

Joe thought the pace was quick.Boy that must have been fast!

OK, briefly then…
The said switch in my Herald had been a bit dodgy for ages (years) but worked if you had the knack so we just put up with it. Occasionally it would make a little puff of smoke, but nothing to worry about. I was all ready to leave on Friday, turned on the ignition and woof. Full-on flames and billowing smoke. Grovelled around in the spares box for another switch and swapped it over. Wasted about an hour - just enough for me to hit every possible bit of heavy traffic, meaning the journey took me eight hours instead of a bit over four. Grrr.

Rob

GPS Tracks

For those that are interested, here’s the GPS tracks of the riding I did;

This doesn’t included the night ride on Friday though, but if anyone wants, I know where we went so can manually add it.

I realise that some people rode more or less than I did, so the normal disclaimer applies; YMMV :slight_smile:

STM

Hey guys,

A guy I work with told me he went on his XC Motorbike up in Derbyshire at the weekend and he saw:

“two dozen nutters coming down this crazy hill on unicycles!”

Was it you lot?

He said he caught some video of the last member of the pack, if he gets it to me I’ll post it here.

Well done on the length of the ride, imprressive.