Pashley uni

http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/contemporary/muni/splash.html

heya, im thinking of getting a one of these…anyone got any thoughts?
ive heard its a decent Muni, has anyone got one? Is it?
cheers

Check out others at http://www.unicycle.uk.com/

if i was you i would go for something without loli-pop bearrings

My son has been riding one of the Pashley 20" munis for the last couple years (he’s now 11), and it’s held up really well to light-moderate trail riding and drops of a foot or less.

That said, the times and technology have changed these last couple years, and Pashley has made no modifications I’m aware of to keep up. The design is a bit dated, and I don’t think the price/performance ratio is really there anymore.

It’s hard to provide much advice without knowing your budget, location, current riding skills and future goals, etc… But overall, despite the fact that they “own” the “Muni” name, I wouldn’t really call the Pashley a muni in the current sense of the word. It’s a decent frame with a sub-optimal knobby tire. I think you can do better for the price.

happy pashley owner

I’ve had one for a year and I like it a lot. If you started on a beginner uni and are ready for something more durable, this is a more durable novice muni. If I had it to do all over again, the concerns I would have about buying the pashley as a first muni are these:

-It comes with slick Big Apple tire. I ended up really liking that tire but I question the inclusion of a road tire on a muni. You’ll be shopping for a mountain tire immediately.

-The viscount seat won’t work for muni. It is too hard and you’ll be looking for a replacement pretty quick.

-Not very many unis come with nice pedals but that still goes on my list of things I had to upgrade in order to be truly trail ready.

-The seatpost size is odd. You can only fit viscount or Kris Holm seats on the post. If you want to switch to a torker/miyata style seat, you will have to use shims or have some custom modifications done to seat post.

There are a lot of positives but these are the things I’ve encountered that have been drawbacks. I’ve converted mine into a 29" commuter and am in the market for a splined 24" Muni.

My first uni was a Pashley UMX 20". My second was a Pashley MUni 26. The MUni was much better than the UMX.

My third uni was a Nimbus II 20" - immeasurably better than the Pashley UMX.

Since then, I’ve owned or ridden a range of unis, from Nimbus I to Coker to DM. I would never buy a Pashley again.

The Pashley is made of lightweight materials - in fact, they’ve used loads of lightweight material. Tons of the stuff. Get my drift?

The bearing housings are not simple lollipops, but they are harder to remove than ordinary clamps. The standard tyre is simply dreadful. The standard cranks are heavy and ugly. The bottle cage bosses are useless.

The Pashley MUni is a big heavy ugly poorly designed unicycle which will not maximise your off road unicycling pleasure.

That said, I’ve found mine to be tough, reliable and I’ve had some good rides on it.

Do not buy a Pashley MUni. Buy a MUni designed by keen unicyclists for keen unicyclists. Get a better tyre, lighter frame, tougher rim, nicer cranks… If you plan to ride hard, then pay the extra for a KH or something like that. If you just want to scoot around on the dirt, get a Nimbus/Yuni and stick a knobbly tyre on it.

There are many cool things about a Pashley:

• Their unicycle is the only one called a “Muni” as a model name. They did it first. They know they do not own the word (they got it from Duncan Castling, same as us), but as a product name they may have it sewed up.

• Theirs is the first unicycle made specifically for offroad riding.

• The one in the “action” photo on their web site was donated to the second annual California MUni Weekend, in 1997. Manufacturers generally are not aware enough to donate unicycles. We usually get them from resellers, like Unicycle.com or Bedford.

• Theirs is the only lolipop bearing system that does not suck. Bolts enter the frame from both sides, and the design does not cause the frame to break.

• The Pashley is retro.

Drawbacks:

• The Pashley is retro.
    Their design does not seem to have changed since they were introduced in 1996 or so.

• Fatter tires cannot fit.

Yes, the Pashley will always be special in the world of mountain unicycling, as the first one. Before Pashleys, you had to cobble together your own from whatever tire you could fit into a regular frame. Pashleys came out before we learned about 3" tires, so the frames are narrower.

Brett Bymaster rode one for years, and beat the tar out of it. I’m sure he still has it. It held up just fine for him, with probably thousands of miles of trail riding, but not tons of hopping like you’d do in Trials.

So, respect the Pashley, but be aware that the design is dated.

The photo on their web site is of Jonathan Young in the Confluence Uphill Race at the 1997 CA MUni Weekend in Auburn. He had won the unicycle on the previous day. The unicycle had been brought in by Roger Davies (now of unicycle.uk.com). See more pictures from that day:
http://www.unicycling.com/muni/muni97/sunam.htm

The Pashley was possibly the only uni with lollipop style bearings that was considered OK (all other unis with lollipops were very prone to the frame splitting near the bearings).

However, like others are saying, the Pashley is old technology and you can do much better for the money.

Go to-

and check out the Nimbus models which have-

*main cap style bearing holders (even ‘good’ lollipop bearing holders have the considerable disadvantage that taking off the wheel for changing inner tubes can be a real ordeal)

*a frame thats wide enough to fit in fat 3" tyres (great for muni)- the tyre that comes with the Pashley is inadequate for muni, and the frame isn’t designed to fit the fat tyres in.

Also, it’s established technology, simple but good, and there’s a lot of satisfied Nimbus owners out there.

Purchasing from unicycle.uk.com you’ll get excellent customer service (ring Roger on the freephone number listed on the site for useful advice about what uni is right for you).

Here’s a Nimbus 24x3 muni: -

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=485

and, a bit cheaper-

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=478

but look round the site as there’s other configurations and other models.

Also, do some searches on this discussion board using relevant terms- there’s loads of useful info here that can really help you decide what uni to get.

The best way to get informative replies is to supply loads of info such as location, experience, what type of riding you do/want to do etc.

I have a Pashley 26" Muni.

I would reccomend you do not buy a Pashley, for all the reasons listed above.

If you still want one, I will give you a good deal on a used Pashley 26" Muni.

I sincerely hope you don’t work in marketing - you’d starve!:slight_smile:

Re: Pashley uni

>The best way to get informative replies is to supply loads of info such
>as location, experience, what type of riding you do/want to do etc.

a bit more info about who, what, where etc
im 16, i used my old uni for my paper round/going to school/going to friends
houses… my bike saddle is held together by string, so ive used my uni for a
bike ride, and found it loads of fun, so id like to do a bit more Muni-ing.

Experience, i can do the half the level 4 skills, and a couple of 5s. i also do
a few school shows etc.

Based on your skills descriptions, I’d pass on the Pashley. I think you’ll find better price/performance on some of the other models that folks have linked to further up in this post.

If you do end up with a Pashley, don;t despair, with a decent tyre and saddle they are pretty good. I’ve had mine 7 years or more now and its still holding out. original hub, rim, frame and most of the spokes. evry thing else has been changed over the years tho!
SArah

I’m yet another pashley owner telling you not to buy one. For muni, the inability to take a 3" tire is a show stopper. The standard 26" rim is narrow and weak. I now use my pashley as a 29er, and it’s pretty good for that, but if I was starting a 29er from scratch I’d use a nimbus frame.

Why hasn’t any other uni frame maker picked up the bottle bosses? I know they’re much derided, but I use them all the time. I often want some water for a medium length ride but don’t want a camel carcass on my back.

You can get them fitted to bike frames, it probably wouldn’t cost much to have them put onto a nimbus frame.

Joe

I found if I UPD’d with a full water bottle it invariably fell out, resulting in a search for the bottle in the undergrowth.

The ‘solution’ was to tie it in with elastic bands, which made removal harder, and impossible without stopping first. This was finally resolved when I removed the carrrier completely and used a hydration pack on my back, a supierior solution.

I still like, and use, my Pashley but agree there are superior Muni’s around for a similar price. Did they ever get round to shipping it with a useable tyre?

Keith

That sums it up nicely.
I don’t ride mine much anymore, but cant’ bear to part with it because we’ve been through so much together. It was the first MUni I rode, the first MUni I travelled with, the first MUni I raced…
I wouldn’t buy one in 2005 though.
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albun15

I’ve got a Nokian Gazz Jr on it 26x2.6" tyres. More than adequate clearance.

Alas, the Pashley is a design that has been orphaned as technology has passed by. It would be a very nice touring uni, except that it won’t fit the best touring uni tire (Schwalbe Big Apple 29"). It could be a good MUni, but it won’t fit any 3" tire.

It is much nicer looking than any of the cheap unis, but it just isn’t very practical.

There’s more to life than 3 inch tyres. I have a 2.3 inch on my Pashley. It copes with mud, slime, sand and undergrowth. However, the rim is narrow and feels vulnerable to knocks. The frame is heavy, and wheel removal is difficult.

And I gave up using the bottle bosses after losing the bottle after UPDs too many times.

I think the weight is the biggest single factor. On the other hand, it’s tough.

But why spend an incredible amount of money for a unicycle that won’t give you the option to at least try it out?

I use a skinny knobby every now and again for novelty purposes, or to limit myself if I am going out with very beginner muni’r, and I’m glad I don’t ‘have’ to ride it