Painting Uni;s

Hey there,
I was looking to buy a yuni frame for my new Muni, i was wondering what methoeds people have used to paint their frames (besides paying 60 us bucks for a powdercoat)

Thnx
Aaron

This topic has been explored many times. Here is what came up after a quick search.
http://tinyurl.com/1gpu
-David Kaplan

When I went to paint my uni I just got a can of enamal spray paint. I did many really light coats of paint to prevent drips and in the hope that it would bond better to the crome.

It seems to have worked really well, there are only a few chips in the paint. I also Left crome stripes up the sides, and 3 rings arround the top of the frame, I marked these out with some good ol’ electical tape before painting. After painting it I went over the crome sections with some Clear Fingernail polish. Its workd well to prevent chipping in the areas between the crome and the paint.

I would put pix up of it if I had em.

Good luck painting your ride

I haven’t painted my uni yet but I’ve used stickers quite a bit. I’ve had orange flames and blue flames. My next is a cow pattern which is just cow patterned shelf paper. Cheap, you can change it as often as you like, and the stickers protect your frame.

i take it if i spray paint it then i can’t strip the paint and have chrome left…

hmm the taxi uni was a good idea, i wish i was smart enought to think of a good patteren like that… any help?

Thnx
Aaron

Suck it up, spend the money to get it powdercoated. It will last 100 times longer and look 100 times better too.

Any Powdercoaters in Ontario, Canada?

I have my friend who does powdercoating for me. If you wanted to ship me parts, I could have him powdercoat them for you.

Ask your local bike shops. They should know of local businesses that can powdercoat a frame.

Re: Painting Uni;s

“Drewnicycle” <Drewnicycle.b1qiy@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:Drewnicycle.b1qiy@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> I haven’t painted my uni yet but I’ve used stickers quite a bit. I’ve
> had orange flames and blue flames. My next is a cow pattern which is
> just cow patterned shelf paper. Cheap, you can change it as often as
> you like, and the stickers protect your frame.
>

Where did you get the flames?

Doug

ya i’d love to know where ya got them stickers

I made my flames myself. My friend got a bunch of really cool stickers from New York. She bought them by the metre, I don’t really know where.
You can get custom stickers from some of those auto stores that tint windows etc.

try www.liffey.net/
or www.warnercustom.com

let me know if you have any luck.
the other alternative is to talk to some of the factories around that powdercoat their parts and see if they can put your frame in their line. Of course the colour will be whatever they are running but hey John Deere green or UPS brown really aren’t that bad :smiley:

Or try asking machine shops. A friend got it done to some of his custom frames, and I think he paid around $80 CDN each. He didn’t get to pick the colour, but it was “titanium” colour, so I guess he was lucky. I’m guessing if you pick the colour it would cost much much more.

Also, go to an autobody shop. One that does heat-bake enamel. If you say you prefer a certain colour, than wait until they have some extra paint mixed up. I have no idea how much that would cost.