Overheating at 80?

Checked out there website, and I am very interested in buying some. After 24 miles of Cokering, I was cramping so severly that when I dismounted, my legs locked up. I have always had cramping problems, had a similiar experience in last years Wolfman Duatholon. It seems I can order online from Canada, or order from one of the retailers in TX. Seems like there are more retailers in TX then the rest of the United States combined.

Bugman, before you spend lots of money try bananas. They are natures “anti-cramp.” If you eat them on a regular basis and especially before, during, and after rides with lots of water the cramps should be prevented. It’s all about potassium. Banana’s are like potassium factories. Water helps as well, of course.

Re: Overheating at 80?

ChangingLINKS.com” <ChangingLINKS.com@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> I know that it is way off-topic and such, but I (for one) am deeply
> interested in hearing more about these events. At least point me to some
> websites or forums, etc. please.

How about a book? John Annerino’s Running Wild is a good read,
covering an remarkable physical and spiritual journey starting with a
crippling climbing fall and culminating in a self supported 250 mile
run along the rim of the Grand Canyon. Packed with challenges
including supplies, heat, cold, and routefinding. Well worth checking
out.

Ken

I have had that problem about one time.
My uni hit a bump and when I tried to use my stomach muscles to recover, my STOMACH MUSCLES LOCKED UP! I was sooo surprised - I didn’t know . . . .
I could not stand. I had to lay face down in the dirt.
Onefiftyfour left me for dead! :o

The cause:
I was on a very strict diet and severely dehydrated (lost 7 pounds in 2 days).

I like doing that diet -
Anyone know of a product where I can get the anti-cramp attributes and electrolytes without calories?

If you are doing things where you need anti-cramp and electorlytes than you ALSO need calories. Otherwise your body is going to eat your muscles instead. To some extent electorlytes ARE calories, such as sugar etc. Hopefully no such product exists as it would be dangerous.

Stick with sports drinks if you’re set on starve yourself dieting, they’ll at least keep your brain functioning. You’re brain runs on sodium/potassium pumps (Na/K) so when you run low on that you get light headed and you’re thinking slows.

Frankly, your diets sound like suicide attempts to me. They aren’t healthy.

The two electrolyte salt tablets that I’ve seen are:
Lava Salts and E-Caps Endurolytes
They’re both pretty similar. A mix of sodium chloride and other electrolytes like potassium in some sort of magic ratio.
It looks like E-Load has a product called Zone Caps. But it looks like each Zone Cap has less electrolytes per pill so you’d need to take more. That could be more expensive and less convenient.

I can get the Lava Salts and E-Caps at a local shop that specializes in triathlon equipment and racers. They stock both products.

The product info that E-Caps has on their web page for Endurolytes is interesting. Particularly the bit that electrolyte replacement during exercise can vary as much as tenfold between two athletes. Just because your riding buddy is able to finish a ride feeling just fine after only taking along water and a Power Bar doesn’t mean that you’ll be able to get along just fine on the same ride without extra electrolytes. It varys person to person. The differences doesn’t necessarily have to do with fitness. Just the way your body works.

What I take along is water, electrolyte tablets, and energy gel (I like the Cliff Shot gel). Drink water, take an electrolyte tablet and suck down a gel and that’s pretty much just like drinking a sports drink. Only the hydration pack bladder doesn’t get all gunky and you can more easily adjust the amount of electrolytes you get.

I also bring along regular food like dried fruit, Cliff bars, an apple, beef jerky, etc. if it’s a longer ride where I’ll be out for 4 hours or so.

I wish these electrolyte tablets existed back when I was doing road bike riding in the late 80’s and early 90’s. I could have used them. I was always getting wonked on long rides even though I was eating enough and drinking enough. I was probably running low on electrolytes and I didn’t know that was the cause.

For anti-cramp: no other food has more potassium per ounce than lima beans. Some friends I used to race mtb’s did some extensive research a few years ago and came to that conclusion and consume alot of lima beans days before a race. Cramping is no longer a problem for them. There is a recipe on the package for a lima bean cassarole that is actually pretty tasty.

In article
<ChangingLINKS.com.1mii1f@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>,
ChangingLINKS.com
<ChangingLINKS.com@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

> newtouni wrote:
> > *Well, you will probably think I am wrong about the following as well,
> > but I know of what I speak. Stuff that you probably already know and
> > do anyway. *
>
> No. I didn’t know or do any of that (anymore). Thank you!
> From your experience in the desert, is there anything that I can do
> besides ingesting?
>
>
> (For example when I used to cycle for miles in 100 degree heat, I would
> soak my cotton t-shirt in water before starting and that seemed to help
> a bunch.) Are you suggesting to simply ride more in the heat to build up
> tolerance? Any other tips?

Other than the excellent advice on hydration and electrolytes (i keep a
couple emergency salt tabs in my seat pack for those 100+/100+/100
(miles/degrees/humidity) rides across the illinois prairie), i’d really
look at your thermal management.

I’ve found i can get terribly overheated on my uni if i’m not careful.
I had symptoms quite similar to yours a few weeks ago, when i went
riding in cold-weather bike gear in 28 degree weather. In about fifteen
or 20 minutes i was ready to gork.

If i were riding my uni in 80 degree weather, i’d be in total coolMax
and Spandex mode (and protective gear, of course).

bon wobble,

…max

brave sir stupid is played by max monningh, <betatron@earthlink.net>
<http://flickr.com/photos/86932068@N00/tags/bravesirstupid/>

The artificial salt products or salt substitute products contain potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride (normal table salt). The “lite” salts contain a mixture of sodium chloride and potassium chloride. If you want to get potassium you could salt your drink or water with a little bit of artificial salt. Or just use Morton’s Salt Substitute on your eggs in the morning.

. Actually, I think there is such a product from an MLM company that specialized in water filters . . . can’t think of the name.

. Also, I think “Great Start” may do it.

no. I am incorrect. I was thinking of “trace minerals.”

Your second sentence sounds like the beginning of a joke:

A guy walks into a bar and says
“I have done many +150 mile endurance foot races. These are self supported races were you have to carry your own food, water etc. in a pack. Some of those included crossing the Sahara (+125F heat) and Amazon Jungle (+100F with super high humidity). These things are pretty hard.”

And you say “(that’s) nothing! There’s this one guy who went low carb for a week or two and rode a unicycle”

In article
<ChangingLINKS.com.1mja21@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>,
ChangingLINKS.com
<ChangingLINKS.com@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

> bugman wrote:
> > Checked out there website, and I am very interested in buying some.
> > After 24 miles of Cokering, I was cramping so severly that when I
> > dismounted, my legs locked up. I have always had cramping problems

>
> I have had that problem about one time.
> My uni hit a bump and when I tried to use my stomach muscles to recover,
> my STOMACH MUSCLES LOCKED UP! I was sooo surprised - I didn’t know . . .

how big were the scabs from your resulting UPD?

In article <newtouni.1mirrk@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>,
“newtouni” <newtouni@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

> The wetting the shirt, etc. stuff never seemed to work for me. But, it
> has to work because everyone seems to do it.

I agree…

…unless the shirt is in hard wet contact with your skin, there’s a
chance it will act more like a plastic bag than a source of cooling.

Counter intuitive, but there it is. This is one of the reasons coolmax,
spandex, gore tex to a lesser extent, et alia have made such large
gains in the performance/endurance wear market-- they all excel at
traanferring moisture away from your body and maximizing evaporative
cooling.

I’m a big big fan of coolmax bike jerseys. They cost a lot, but they’ll
last for years and years, and they just plain work at letting you stay
cool(er) under high power conditions.

I say this as a guy who takes days off when it looks like it’ll be over
100 so i can go for 10 hour bike rides through cornfield roads.

…max
full of squid.

Overheating at 80 - Evaporation rate

I want to throw in another factor and find out what you all think about this:

When biking or running you are going at a speed that creates some “wind” that helps in the evaporation rate and cooling. I’ve gone through 20+ ounces of sports drink per hour while road biking and not felt sweaty. It seems I’m wet with sweat in no time when the Muni temp gets much above 70F.

Do you think the slower pace of unicycling leads to less efficent evaporation of sweat and contributes to the overheating?

Hmm, I read this thread after a short muni/trials ride (3-5 miles, entirely technical). I am not sore at all, except for a few slightly strained back muscles from a few too many attempts at 30" no prehop on a 15+lb muni. That being said, after hearing about bananas so much, i noticed that I really craved one. I hate bananas with a passion, but for some reason, after rides, i’ve always had a crave for them. I guess I understand why now.

I sweat like mad, especially on rides. My armor, etc fits the description given by JC, and I regularly empty my 100oz camelbak in 10 mile rides. I even empty my camelbak on trials rides. On long rides, I carry around 1 clif bar for every 2-3 miles, plus trail mix and an extra bottle of water for when my camelbak inevitably goes empty. I find that at the end of rides long rides, I have a headache. From what I hear here, this is to be attributed to a lack of salt, electrolytes, and potassium. Does anyone else get headaches after long rides? I also don’t know what to do to avert these headaches, being as I eat plenty of food on rides, drink tons of water, and always have lots to eat beforehand.

Is there anything in addition to potassium that one should use to prevent locking of muscles? On a 16 mile ride in Santa Cruz, my quads locked up on most of the inclines and at one point while riding backwards (earlier in the ride there was an 8 mile climb that I did with 1 break total. Could this be related to the locking?). My quads are rather strong (I was seriously concerned I could hyperextend my knee), so this is rather worriesome.

Re: Re: Overheating at 80?

Originally posted by BraveSirStupid
how big were the scabs from your resulting UPD?

No scabs but I rolled in the dirt a bunch (and asked a passing biker to tell Onefiftyfour not to leave me for dead).
I think I was laughing - and humiliated (laying across the trail unable to move for fear of more severe pain).

I am very greatful for all of the insight in this thread.
I doubt I will suffer that problem again.

Re: Overheating at 80 - Evaporation rate

Definately. That’s it’s so important to stress to beginning distance bikers to force drink water before they are thirsty. When biking you don’t notice that you are sweating so much, so it’s easy to get dehydrated. Once you feel thirsty it’s already to late.

Riding with a tailwind I get a ton hotter than riding with a headwind (on a bike.) On a Uni I’d figure it would always be like riding with a tailwind as far as heat management goes.

“UniBrier” <UniBrier@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

> Do you think the slower pace of unicycling leads to less efficent
> evaporation of sweat and contributes to the overheating?

Absolutely, positively yes.

The simple test is: does wet skin feel colder when the wind blows.
Seriously, that’s your proof right there.

…max

This is one of the best threads for me in a while. A lot of good information.

I love Bananas, but I avoid them because they are hard to digest. I also noticed when reading about that sports drink eload earlier in the thread that stomach absorption is dramaticly reduced while excercising. So even if your eating during excecise your body may not absorb anything useful. Makes sense since all of the blood is going to other areas.

As for my cramping yesterday, I was almost at a dead stop when the cramping occured so no damage as far as skin abrasions.

THe other thing I notice is I always seem to get much sorer than anyone I ride or workout with. But like Gerblefranklin, I have really strong legs. Other parts of my body give out long before my legs when it comes to strengh. I used to leg press over 600lbs. I wonder if this has something to do with slow twitch/fast twitch muscle fibers?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/706774.stm

In article <bugman.1mk1to@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>,
“bugman” <bugman@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

> I love Bananas, but I avoid them because they are hard to digest.

SemiOT. On my first century bike ride (also my first ride on the open
road vs. a tree-covered trail) i was soooo paranoid about cramping that
I stopped every 10 miles to eat a banana. Drove my much more
experienced best friend nuts. Every Ten Miles. 10 bananas! Made for a
long 100 miles… too much fiber…

…max