Out of control

Hi,

I started unicycling about one month ago. I can cycle for about 30feet or until the unicycle oscillates out of control and I dismount. I say oscillate since the wheel turns to the left then right which gets worst with distance causing me to dismount. What am I doing wrong?

I am sure I have the seat at the correct height.:frowning:

Is there something wrong with the pedals and cranks.

If you’re riding 30 feet after 1 month of practice, you’re doing fine.

Keep on practicing. Keep your weight on the seat (not the pedals), sit up straight, keep your head up and your arms out for balance. The control will come with time.

Someone on here wrote something when I was learning that I found helpful, it may work for you too.

''If you can ride 40 feet, you can ride 400. The difference is in your head!"

It helped me by improving my confidence and once I started believing it, I could do it.

You’re on the right track and it sounds like you’re making progress. Keep with it and practice about 30 minutes a day until you ‘get’ it. I was in the same place as you are now not very long ago. Now I can do 3-4 kms without killing myself.

-M

Thanks

Thanks for the reassurance. Sometimes I get very frustrated. As to answer the previous thread, I don’t know if there is something wrong with the pedal and cranks.

You are doing fine. All you need is more time working on it. Next it will be 50 feet then you fall off. Then 60, 70. 80, and on.

• If the pedals (or your shoes!) are very slippery that could result in increasing wobble.
  • If the cranks are loose you should feel them moving under your feet. If they're bent you might not notice it as they may have always been that way and therefore feel 'normal'.
  • You could try riding the unicycle with the seat under you backwards so that the wheel will rotate in the opposite direction while you ride forwards - that will quickly alert you to something that's bent. It would work but if riding normally is hard - that might be extra difficult.
  • The only other thing I can think to suggest is make sure your seat isn't loose. If your seat turns while you're riding that would really throw you off!

-M

warped tire

One thing I notice is my tire has a minor bulge in one spot. Not bad BUT I notice this when spinning the wheel. Will this hurt stability?

Run your tire soft

Sit on the uni holding a wall and twist from side to side. Make the tire as soft as possible, if you see a fold in the tire wall, that is to soft. No one can give you a psi # because that depends on your tire, your weight, and your pressure gauge.

Kinda a down side to getting better at uni skills is you must run higher tire pressure to prevent pinch flats. Don’t run your tires at the pressure the “big hoppers” do. They really wish they could run the soft cushy low pressures, it is just that their rims will make pinch flats by bottoming, so they have to run higher psi. As a starting rider, soft is the way to go.

Soft tires absorb rocks and stuff , instead of kicking back at the rider like hard inflated tires do. Don’t run a higher pressure then you need.

You mean spinning it in the air? If that’s the only time you see it, I doubt it’s throwing you off balance.

i don’t see lowering your tire pressure helping anything unless the tire doesn’t deform when you sit on it…
just get more confident and go… you almost have it… in my experience people get to 30 feet, get stuck there… get 40 feet a few times, and suddenly can ride.

look at something about 100 feet away and know you can make it there, because you can… it will only take a few tries, or if you’re lucky, one.

From the way you describe it, you are already riding. It sounds like when you begin to make corrections you unconsciously begin to stand on the pedals as Maestro8 suggests. That will make you begin to wobble after riding 30 feet. Consciously keep reminding yourself to keep your weight on the seat. Also, try to ride until you actually fall. Don’t dismount because you think you are about to fall. Riding until you fall will teach you how to make large corrections effectively.

Guruni wishes to advise that the symptoms you have described are not due to anything wrong with your unicycle. As other wise riders above have advised, rest your weight as heavy on the seat as you can. Keep your speed under control. The faster you go the worse the oscillate will be during these learning stages. Riding slow is hard but riding too fast causes the wheel to oscillate. If you have ever had the opportunity to attend the excitement of unicycle racing, you would see that even expert racers sometimes have spectacular crashes at high speed due to wheel oscillation.