Other odd past-times

Hello,

We all know that unicycling is a very ‘noticeable’ sport. But, we all have seen pictures that have amazed even us. An example is last night I saw a picture of a guy doing a one-footed idle while juggling 4 bowling pins around his leg.

I was wondering what other people do on there unicycles that will amaze a typical unicyclist. I recently learned how to juggle, but people usually association juggling and unicycles with clowns and most of us don’t want that.

So I was wondering what else is truly amazing on a unicycle? (It has to be something that requires a lot of skill)

-Budd-

Here’s a thread on the subject:

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21196&highlight=knitted

Answers include knitting, guitar and fiddle playing, and carrying large amounts of luggage.

According to a frequent poster here, I have been known to cogitate while riding.

Cheers,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

I will frequently walk my dog, Buster, while riding my unicycle. When I come upon a group of snickering middle-schoolers, I will rapidly jerk on Buster’s leash to make him pop off of the ground abruptly and land, seated, in the palm of my hand. I then stuff him into my mouth and swallow him whole. At just the moment when I am passing the now astounded teens, I will yank on the leash and pop Buster out of my gullet. In one smooth move he arcs upward and then lands on all fours in front of the startled observers and continues the walk as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened.

Like most unicycling accomplishments, this requires not so much skill as determination.

Re: Other odd past-times

This I have to see. ;^)

-John

---------- Original Message ----------------------------------
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 22:14:04 -0500

>
>I will frequently walk my dog, Buster, while riding my unicycle. When I
>come upon a group of snickering middle-schoolers, I will rapidly jerk on
>Buster’s leash to make him pop off of the ground abruptly and land,
>seated, in the palm of my hand. I then stuff him into my mouth and
>swallow him whole. At just the moment when I am passing the now
>astounded teens, I will yank on the leash and pop Buster out of my
>gullet. In one smooth move he arcs upward and then lands on all fours in
>front of the startled observers and continues the walk as if nothing out
>of the ordinary had happened.
>
>Like most unicycling accomplishments, this requires not so much skill as
>determination.
>
>
>–
>harper - Twice the man, half the bike
>
> -Greg Harper
>
>B L U E S H I F T
>
>"…ride fast straight into a wall, and you will find out how well you
>can turn. Then you just have to remember what motions you made to do it,
>and repeat them with out the wall. " - Daino149, on skill development
>
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>harper’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
>View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/24638
>
>___________________________________________________________________________
>rec.sport.unicycling mailing list - www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu
>

Yeah I heard about you and that trick Harper. The SPCA finally caught up with you for first lighting Buster on fire, then swallowing?
-g

Pictures Please

“harper” <harper.lwq7z@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:harper.lwq7z@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> I will frequently walk my dog, Buster, while riding my unicycle. When I
> come upon a group of snickering middle-schoolers, I will rapidly jerk on
> Buster’s leash to make him pop off of the ground abruptly and land,
> seated, in the palm of my hand. I then stuff him into my mouth and
> swallow him whole. At just the moment when I am passing the now
> astounded teens, I will yank on the leash and pop Buster out of my
> gullet. In one smooth move he arcs upward and then lands on all fours in
> front of the startled observers and continues the walk as if nothing out
> of the ordinary had happened.
>
> Like most unicycling accomplishments, this requires not so much skill as
> determination.
>

I had a thread a few weeks ago guys on Walking the dog while riding but click on that and read on. And as for Juggling wise, I not quite made it on the Uni but give me more time to do it and I might make it. Otherwise, I’d just stick to Unicycling instead.

David.

harper wrote:

> Like most unicycling accomplishments, this requires not so much skill as
> determination.

Nice trick. I haven’t laughed this hard in months!!! In appreciation for
the laugh please find enclosed some floss and a bottle of mouthwash- for
Buster. :smiley:

Cheers,
Jason

coneing - nuff said

Ride a rough trail as fast as you bloody-well can and watch the heads turn! carjug the Cokerhead.

I practice bolemia while unicycling. John and I usually stop at this little Mexican restraunt, and then attempt to ride afterwards after eating full meals and drinking a pitcher of margarittas. The results are never pretty.

This is largely subjective and depends primarily on what you yourself have been exposed to. If you know 20 unicyclists from your local club who can idle one footed while juggling 4 bowling pins it ceases to become amazing.

In general for a trick to amaze me it has to be something that I can’t do. More than that it has to be something that I don’t think I could learn without ridiculous amounts of effort.

For example, gliding while juggling clubs does not amaze me because I can do it. Ditto for juggling 5 balls while idling one footed.

Coasting while juggling 5 balls does amaze me because I know how hard it is to combine those two tricks and I have an inkling of how often I would have to practice to perfect that trick.

To find lots of amazing things being done on a unicycle attend a national convention or go to UNICON. Chances are you will find numerous examples of people doing things you consider amazing.

Riding with your the top of your feet pressing up against the bottom of the pedals amazes me! I wish I could find the link for the video

Daiki Izamuda does a little of that in this bank of video’s

http://www.japan-net.ne.jp/~mhayashi/ichirin/result/sizuoka/

i think its the 4.9 meg one.he shanks it though.i have a disc of stuff from unicon where he executes 3 or 4 revs perfectly.dude is god.

We built a trail which is a really steep twisty climb last week, which we called “The Regurgitator” because it almost had that effect on me the first time I tried riding it. The people deciding where to build are quite high level mtb racers, so they have no fear of very very steep uphills and try as we might to make it wind around to make it easier, it’s still pretty darn steep.

Joe

There’s also a video of someone (perhaps a kindly reader can identify him?) riding with his feet under the pedals in 013.avi at ftp://ftp.unicyclist.com/Unicon11/.

Later,
Eli.

Other odd past-times

When you coast, how do you do it? :thinking: Do you take off your pedals and put peggs on or what? Can some one please explain it to me?

-Budd-

On Sun, 4 May 2003 19:45:20 -0500, unicycle_x
<unicycle_x.mxkm0@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>When you coast, how do you do it? :thinking: Do you take off your pedals
>and put peggs on or what? Can some one please explain it to me?

I can’t coast but I’ve seen it being done. No pegs, just the standard
unicycle with pedals. Riding one-footed, put one foot on the crown,
then lift the other foot off the pedal and optionally place that foot
on the crown too.
<www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/sem_teresa.htm> third picture.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Life is tough but it is a whole lot harder when you are stupid.

I see. I saw a video of a guy standing on pegs to coast. Has anyone ever tried that?

-Budd-

unicycle_x wrote:
> I see. I saw a video of a guy standing on pegs to coast. Has anyone
> ever tried that?
>
> -Budd-

Know what an impossible wheel is?

Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others.
–Socrates