OT: I hit a Gallon!!!

Today I donated my 8th quart of blood (not bad for a 20 year old)! I know it’s not exactly related to unicycling, but I thought I would share and take the time to encourage the rest of you to do the same, if you aren’t already doing so. It takes little time and it can make a difference. Besides that, it’s kinda cool thinking that part you is flowing in someone else :wink: .

The way I figure is, the amount that I get injured I’m bound to need a transfusion sometime in my life. I’d feel pretty guilty if I took without giving.

Just keep it in mind,
Daniel

Good for you! I have a friend and a relative who both have received emergency transfusions. They appreciate your donation.

I just gave last friday. And I found out that not only am I type O negative, I’m some special kind of O negative that lets me give to infants as well. I kinda feel like I was made give blood. Did you know that 60% of the U.S. population is eligable to give, but only about 5% do?

Though I suppose it’s not for everyone. My roommate went with me this time, but he passed out after they pricked his finger for the iron test.

Oh well, Give Blood!

Daniel

Well done on reaching the Gallon.

I am a regular donar and will be hitting 19 donations on Thursday, so for me that will be the best part of 9 litres of blood.

In Australia the statistics are worse than the States, only about 3% of Australians give blood, but nearly everyone will need Blood, or a medical product derived from Blood at some point in their lives.

I also add for anyone who is eligible to donate.

James (jimmy)

I think what you’re all doing is great. How old do you have to be to give blood? I’m 17 on the 19th of this month and I think I’d be prepared to give it a try. Can someone please very briefly describe the procedure?

I don’t exactly love needles, but I’m no worse than the next guy at taking them.

Thanks,
Andrew

Nice work! I want to add for the apprehensive that I am afraid of needles. I can never watch them put that sharpened sewer pipe into my arm. Nevertheless, I sucked it up and have donated multiple gallons of blood and the majority of my wardrobe consists of cheesy blood drive T-shirts. Now when I go to the doctor and they pull out one of those puny little things I can scoff. The free food alone makes it worth it. If you get a T-shirt too then you would be a fool to not go, unless you have jaundice. In all the cities I have donated I have found that the people working there are super nice, and I always have a good time. Usually I see hot girls there. They don’t talk to me, of course, but it is as close to a hot girl as a guy like me may ever get. Anyway, If you haven’t donated blood before, just do it, unless you have traded sex for money or drugs, then maybe just stay home. Even if it gives you the willies you should go, unless you have had unprotected sex with an african male even once since 1977, then maybe stay home too. You will at least have a neat experience if you go. Go with a firend and race. My roomate almost blew the needle out of his arm once trying to beat me.
-gauss

In Ireland they get a pint of Guinness, that could maybe convince me to do it, though I would be more helped if I got it before instead of after. (:

Klas

once u have a tattoo or a piercing done, u r not allowed to donate blood for a year
i’ll be 76 before i qualify

(did donate 13 units before they got picky)

Re: OT: I hit a Gallon!!!

daino149 wrote:
> Today I donated my 8th quart of blood

Er, 8 quarts is 2 gallons.

Here in the UK they don’t even take a pint - only 475ml per visit. So 8
visits over here and it’s only 3.8 litres or 0.836 UK gallons - but that
would be 1.0039 US gallons. :slight_smile:

Andrew, in the UK you can start at 17. Maybe it’s the same down under?

I encouraged Mr Aardvark to come along and give blood last Friday. I
(narrowly) failed the haemoglobin test so he ended up giving and I
didn’t. :slight_smile:

Just to show that his generosity knows no bounds, he then gave some more
after a unicycle hockey elbow-nose incident on Saturday. What a guy. The
game was paused briefly while he was stretchered off but continued in
his absence with the words “it’s what he would have wanted”.

Regards,
Mark.

Fujitsu Telecom Europe Ltd,| o
Solihull Parkway, | In the land of the pedestrian, /|
Birmingham Business Park, | the one-wheeled man is king. <<
Birmingham, ENGLAND. | O

I gave blood until I contracted malaria. :frowning:

Wow, they never put ‘May contract Malaria’ in the brochures!

The blood drive comes to my school in a week, that’ll be my first donation. I don’t know why…I just never got around to it.

> Just to show that his generosity knows no bounds, he then gave some more
> after a unicycle hockey elbow-nose incident on Saturday. What a guy. The
> game was paused briefly while he was stretchered off but continued in
> his absence with the words “it’s what he would have wanted”.

I gather they started losing in my absence… As you might guess, an
aardvark’s
snout is its raison d’etre, and you’ll be glad that no permanent damage was
sustained. I hope this knowledge will help Leo to overcome his debilitating
remorse.

Arnold the Aardvark

I think what U Turn meant was, after contracting Malaria, they no longer let him give blood, not that he contracted Malaria from giving blood.

It seems that everytime I go they have more and more rules concerning who is eligable to give, though understandably. Virginia Blood Services even checks your arms for track marks now.

I’m not sure what all the rules and procedures are in Australia Carter, obviously there is some variation from country to country.

They tell us not to drink for at least 5 hours after donating!

I go again tomorrow. 3rd time (I’m only 18, give me time) One thing to remember is that this is one of the few times when people can say “The needle was this big” <arms spread apart> and mean it. Not trying to put anyone off, but be prepared. The really excting bit is that after this I only have one session to go until I get a new blue donor card! Woo!

Umm, err, me? Drink after giving blood? Surely not. But its so much cheaper that way. one pint and you’re nicely merry for the rest of the evening.
(N.B. Kids! Only really silly students drink after giving blood!)

The explanation I got is that there’s lots of iron in stout. I’m not even sure that it’s true since I never went myself.

Regarding the regulations, as far as I know I’m not allowed to donate in most of the world after living two years in Ireland, same goes if you’ve been living in the U.K

Klas

hell-on-wheel wrote:
> I think what U Turn meant was, after contracting Malaria, they no longer
> let him give blood, not that he contracted Malaria from giving blood.

I assumed Sofa’s comment was a joke.

> Virginia Blood Services
> even checks your arms for track marks now.

Surely a regular blood donor is expected to have these. :wink:

> They tell us not to drink for at least 5 hours after donating!

I thought the whole point was that you could get drunk more
quickly/cheaply. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Mark.

Birmingham, ENGLAND. | O

johnhimsworth wrote:
> The really excting bit is that after this I
> only have one session to go until I get a new blue donor card! Woo!

In the States you get cash. We get a plastic card. I know where I’d
rather have a blood transfusion.

As for not being able to give blood elsewhere after living in the UK.
Yup, I’ve heard that too. Can’t think why. Moo. Ahem. :wink:

So, er, them things with one wheel what were they again?

Oh, yeah. Anybody tried unicycling home after giving blood? Phew, back
on topic.

Regards,
Mark.

Birmingham, ENGLAND. | O

All dey vant iz dee Blood!

I donated to the Red Cross a couple of times.

Then I found the biological chemicals company down the street that paid for your blood, and used the plasmapheresis process, where they centrifuge your blood, keep the plasma (human albumin is worth big bucks) and give you your blood cells back… so that you can “donate” twice a week. This was when I was fresh out of art “school” and unemployed, but could make $20/week selling my blood.

They paid by check, and if you didn’t have a bank account, there were two places nearby that would cash your $10 check if you made at least a $2 purchase. The closest place was the pizza and six-pack place next door. Most guys went there, bought a quart of Old Milwaukee, and pocketed their 8 bucks in change. I had stopped using all recreational drugs at the time, so I had to go to the Rite Aid drugstore a few blocks away to cash my check. I usually bought a gallon of milk and a pack of chocolate Archway cookies (OK, I was still using sugar!). I remember craving milk at that time… I had a 5-gallon a week milk habit.

This was back in '83-'84… Tuesday was Right Arm Day, and Thursday was Left Arm Day… I still have the scars on my arms!

When I finally got a full-time job, and stopped going, I got a letter from them after a few months saying “We haven’t seen you in a while…”.
Felt like getting an “I miss you!” note from Dracula!
I hear they pay $50/week or more if you go twice a week now.

Tell ya one thing, the phlebotomists at a blood bank donation center are way better at their jobs than nurses at hospitals and clinics… Practice makes Perfect!

BTW… The Red Cross gives you a sandwich and some OJ when you donate, but they charge the hospitals for the blood you gave for free, and the hospitals pass this cost on to you or your insurance company.

Yes, a friend of mine from high school contracted AIDS from a blood transfusion, back in the early days of AIDS knowledge I guess. He later died from it.

I’ve donated a gallon, but haven’t done any for a long time. I should get back into it.

Or an African female or child, for that matter, if you want to be demographically accurate, gauss.

Not many Africans in Bethlehem, PA, I take it, though? Eh?

Thanks for the warning.

I tried to donate a few months back when the Red Cross set up shop at my work. (donations from staff only!) They refused me because the Army had stationed me in Europe during the “Mad Cow” years. They said I could still donate if I went to a hospital and had them do some kind of blood test, on my own time and probably with my own money.

I guess they aren’t hurting for blood all that bad after all if they are not willing to do the test themselves. They lost a lot of potential donations that days…

Do you know how many in law inforcement are prior military? Lots. Only about 25% that went were able to donate. The Desert Storm restriction got most of them denied.

The Plasma donation places must be running all the proper tests because they take it from pretty much anyone. It seems that many homeless around the one I used to go to when I lived in Colorado Springs used that money as their primary food/drink money, especially after the city banned panhandling on the roadside. I do miss that extra money. It payed for gas money and a few meals to boot.