OOW Volume 27, Issue 1.

Its always a pleasant surprise to have mail that isn’t bills or junk.

Great articles on Scot Cooper and other Muni giraffes. I liked the Kotter article too, nice to see some of the RSU stuff get to those that don’t have the time to keep up with 100+ posts a day.

JF’s article is on the Standard Mount(s); the Rollback and Static Mount. I learned the Static mount and uses it exclusively for all my riding until last year when I became interrested in developing more skills. When trying to learn the Side Mount I initially found it very foreign, but after practicing the Rollback Mount I found the Side Mount came easier.

Just a little observation, learn both, learn lots.

Let’s see more articles next issue! I’m working on an OOW version of the Ben Linder story and a club update.

Kudos for Tammy and Tanya for cranking out another issue, seemingly with very little help. A lot of work goes into making those newsletters!

The barrier seems to finally be breaking between the newsgroup and On One Wheel, in that they are willing to repeat some of what has been posted here. Lots of good stuff is being written here. And though it may need a bit of cleaning up for permanent publication, it’s worth doing it.

As veteran USA members can see from this and the previous issue, more variety of material is needed. The previous issue was what I call the “MUni” issue (when it should have been the NAUCC/UNICON issue), and this one is the “Scot Cooper and MUni Giraffe” issue. Coverage of the unicycling world is lopsided because the editors aren’t getting enough people to send them material.

What’s needed for a better On One Wheel is more participation by all the great writers here. You all have something to offer (even those of you that aren’t great writers!). What you need to do is target some of your writing for On One Wheel and send a copy to the Marsh sisters. They are busy college students, so you can’t blame them for not having time to read all this newsgroup/forums stuff.

The Unicycling Society of America also could use an actual editorial staff for the newsletter. The job is too much for one or two people, which is why it has often been late over the years. It will be much easier for all involved if layout and production are separated from writing, which is separated from editing, which is separated from schmoozing people up for stories.

The USA needs volunteers. Specifically, I think it needs the following positions:

• Editor: Coordinates all content, keeps track of balance of what’s being covered in the issue, makes requests for content that’s missing, corrects submitted writing, edits for length or clarity.

• Writers: People who are committed to providing something for each issue. I do this with the One Wheeled Words column, for instance. It doesn’t have to be columns, it can be anything. Product reviews, event reports, how-to articles, all are needed.

• Story-Finders: For lack of a better definition, these are the people who correspond with everyone, finding out what’s going on and collecting information. This person can keep the event calendars up to date, and can collect lots of small news tidbits to round out any issue.

Does anybody want to commit to one of those jobs? On One Wheel needs a staff. If interested, please contact the USA by sending an email to usa-officers [at] unicycling.org (fix the @ part). To send article or calendar material directly to the editors, use ononewheel [at] unicycling.org

We expend a lot of energy here on the newsgroup and forums. I believe we can do a lot more with it.

Re: OOW Volume 27, Issue 1.

> What’s needed for a better On One Wheel is more participation by all
> the great writers here. You all have something to offer (even those
> of you that aren’t great writers!). What you need to do is target
> some of your writing for On One Wheel and send a copy to the Marsh
> sisters. They are busy college students, so you can’t blame them for
> not having time to read all this newsgroup/forums stuff.

Maybe not, but if the editor position gets filled, that’s a job requirement
for sure, neh?

What’s the (writer’s) pay like? Back when my plan was to write the Great
American Novel, rake in millions, and retire, I used to get paid for
submissions to literary zines with contributor’s copies. I’d settle for
that - membership in exchange for X articles. Got submission guidelines?

The Plan, by the way, didn’t work out - I got a job instead. Corporate
slaves eat better than aspiring novelists, and chocolate is important.

Re: Re: OOW Volume 27, Issue 1.

Nice try Scott. I’d be willing to bet that Tom Daniels, the USA President, pays for his membership.

Cheers,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Re: Re: OOW Volume 27, Issue 1.

I think the USA would be willing to pay you 10 times as much as its president gets. Or any other officer. Or any of the other volunteers in the organization. If that serves as a hint. :slight_smile:

Everybody pays for their membership. We think of it as a hobby organization. Someday there may be budget enough to do more, but not at present. We’re still wondering how we’re going to pay the additional $4800.00 or so per year it’s going to cost us for insurance starting this year…

Submission guidelines are really just the address to send the stuff in to. Electronic submissions can go to ononewheel@unicycling.org, or to usa-officers@unicycling.org if you want more people to see it. Physical mailings, of photos or anything you don’t want to send electronically, go to:

On One Wheel
Unicycling Society of America Inc.
P.O. Box 40534
Redford, MI 48240

I liked the articles on Scot Cooper and Simon Greenway and their giraffe MUni’s. Scot’s read like an interview, which perhaps it was. I would like to have seen questions on the technical aspects of riding a giraffe off-road addressed. How do you mount? What manuevers are you unable to do or how much is your ability to do them reduced by the giraffe frame? What are the advantages other than pedal clearance? Stuff like that.

Simon apparently just finished and hasn’t done much testing. The 20" wheel, geared up to 25" or so, I would think to be a disadvantage. I would think gearing down would be the way to go. I know one guy wanted to run a uni.5 hub backwards on a Coker because the 2/3 gear ratio would turn the 36" wheeled monster into a tractor. As he mentioned, it’s obviously helpful for general distance riding to gear up a 20" wheel.

Thanks, Marsh sisters, for another nice issue.

Re: Re: Re: OOW Volume 27, Issue 1.

People could join. I finaly left my miserly solitude and joined the TCUC- about 1000 miles north of me- and the USA in one fail swoop; Mondo was such a hoot, the people were of such stature, and the event was SO UNDER PRICED that I was happy to part with the green backs in support of a GOOD THING. Now I can happly sit back with my feet up content to know that 1) the nationals happen and 2) Japan in 2004 is being actively plotted in the face of impediments like insurance costs. The next step is to get off my tail and lend a hand.

-Christopher