Ooops!

A year or three ago, I was with the Morris dancers outside a pub, idling on my unicycle when I was approached by the man who lived next door to the pub. He told me he had an old unicycle in his garage. A few minutes later, I had bought it for £10.

The unicycle was handmade in about 1959, when the owner was serving with the armed forces. I got the impression he was stationed in the Netherlands at the time, although my history is not good enough to tell me why the British would have an occupation force in the lowlands at that time.

The uni has a leather bicycle-style seat, and cottered cranks. I bught it in a rusty horrible state and stripped and cleaned it. I have ridden it, but one of the cranks is not quite right. I’m not sure if it’s a worn cotter pin, a damaged crank, or the flat on the end of the axle is damged or badly machined. I kept it as a curiosity, but it offers nothing that a modern unicycle doesn’t offer, other than that it was made in the year when Buddy Holly died, Cliff Richard had his first number one hit, and the Thatcher years were still 20 years in the future.

In a tidy up last year, I put the uni in my storage bunbker in the back garden. I went to the bunker today to get something else and foudn that the damp had not been kind. See photos:

dscn0260.jpg

Fortunately, the mould was only on the surface. The top cleaned up easily with meths and a cloth. the inside of the saddle simply flushed out and will no doubt survive if kept in the dry.

The frame is still better than it was when I bought it, but the chrome is pitted with small specks of rust. The wheel rim (which is the sort suitable for stirrup brakes!) is also a bit pitted.

Here are a couple of photos showing some detail:

Look at the unusual design of the forks and fork crown:

The unicycle is of no value to me, and frankly I’d be better off without it as I live in a tiny house with no storage space. However, I’m reluctant simply to throw it away. It could be restored with either new cotter pins or new cottered cranks. I still have the original pedals somewhere, I think (rubber block style - very 1950s).

Free to a good home. I can deliver in and around Nottingham, or by arrangement within the Notts, Leics, Derby, Lincoln area, or perhaps on route to Devon (M42, M5).

If anyone is interested, please PM me.

Mike

Wow, I like the look of the crown.

Bump:

I repeat,
The unicycle is of no value to me, and frankly I’d be better off without it as I live in a tiny house with no storage space. However, I’m reluctant to simply throw it away. It could be restored with either new cotter pins or new cottered cranks. I still have the original pedals somewhere, I think (rubber block style - very 1950s).

Free to a good home. I can deliver in and around Nottingham, or by arrangement within the Notts, Leics, Derby, Lincoln area, or perhaps on route to Devon (M42, M5).

If anyone is interested, please PM me.

If I had the room I would but… hmm…if I move…hmm…and then…hmm…if you can’t find a home for it I may be able to give it a temporary home, it would be a shame to throw it away.

Hi Mike, that’s a very pretty unicycle. I’d certainly be more than willing to give it a good home if you haven’t found anyone else.

I live justs outh of Oxford which I don’t suppose is very close to anywhere for you. I will be in New Mills in Derbyshire for the second half of this week (Manchester side of the peak district), but it probably wouldn’t be a problem to drop it off with my grandparents in exeter, which might be easier for you.