Onza trials uni

Has anyone bought one of these yet? What’s the verdict? I’ve ridden the prototype ones, and wasn’t too keen, but they seemed to have potential. Someone must have bought one!

if you have indeed riden on the prototype then i think you have come closer to it than most.your review is “not to keen eh?” :thinking: does that mean it sucked or what?

I thought it was great. Really solid construction (especially the axle). Very bouncy. I thought the pedals were a bit too widely spaced but you trials chaps like that, don’t you?

nb

how wide?was it wider than a Profile with 145mm cranks?

if my cranks were any wider (kh20) i’d have major ground clearance problems.

The frame was about the same as a NimbusII and the pedals had about 1 to 2 inches of clearance. It was noticably wider than my sem. I’m not sure about the profile.

My main problem was with the width of the cranks, but i understand that that has been reduced on the production model. The ones i rode were very springy too, which was probably down to the tyre pressure chosen by the owners who don’t put as much pressure on them as me. This springiness felt like it was verging on sideways flexibility, however the effect could have been magnified by the wider cranks exerting greater leaverage than usual.
On one of the prototype unis at least there were washers/spacers increasing the width of the axle/cranks, and these had cracked, causing play.
I’m told then that the production one won’t have these faults. They seem like problems that will have been easily fixed by the reduction in axle length, so i think that the uni for sale at unicycle.uk.com looks great, and also appears to be reasonable value. Now if only i could get some more money together…:slight_smile:

oh, and ‘not to keen’ means that i didn’t initially like them

I’m still eager to hear from anyone who may have bought one. Anyone from unicycle.uk.com got some comments to make?

Re: Onza trials uni

Ando <Ando.88vib@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

> Has anyone bought one of these yet? What’s the verdict? I’ve ridden the
> prototype ones, and wasn’t too keen, but they seemed to have potential.
> Someone must have bought one!
One of the Young lads from Horsham had one at my Hockey party. I had a
quick go and even tho the saddle was way too low ( hes a lot shorter than
I am) it rode rather better than the prototype. Onza seem to have sorted
out the back lash in the hub and i couldn’t feel any. The wheel is BIG and
wide and if you like bouncy stuff I’m sure its fine. Not very good for
hockey tho:-)

Sarah

Unicon 11 ~ Washington USA.~
July 25 - Aug 2 2002 The world unicycle convention and championships.
http://www.nwcue.org

Re: Onza trials uni

nb <nb.897jm@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

> I thought it was great. Really solid construction (especially the
> axle). Very bouncy. I thought the pedals were a bit too widely spaced
> but you trials chaps like that, don’t you?

The production model doesn’t have such a wide spacing as the
pre-pro versions. The Q on the cranks is the same, but fewer
spacers are used on the axle.

Paul

Paul Selwood
paul@vimes.u-net.com http://www.vimes.u-net.com

Thanx for the input there Paul and Sarah. Hey, Lad at Sarahs hockey party, are you reading this? What are your thoughts?

I rode an Onza at UNICON. It belonged to a nice English chap :slight_smile: and we talked for a bit. He actually rode it down the Snoqualmie summit pass.

When I rode it, I fell in love with it. It was very similar to the 20" trials uni that John Childs has, which I rode first and loved as well. I don’t remember the particulars of what John had…John?

Anyway, Adam (I think) said this was the newer one without the ridiculously wide axel. It didn’t feel wierd to me at all, but I did bang the pedals turning a few times - but this could be due to the fact that its such a small wheel (and I’m used to a 26").

Another thing I love about the Onza is the cranks. They are round steel (cylindrical, I guess). It seems to me like this would be incredibly strong. Adam assures me they have been withstanding some brutal drops.

I’ve definitely found my next unicycle purchase. I’m either going to get this Onza or the similar version of the Yuni (aka Nimbus II). I think they both feature the monty 20x2.5 tire and the Yuni will probably be a little cheaper without sacrificing too much strength (I’m not that abusive of a rider). It might come down to which one Unicycle.com has for sale first, so it will probably be the Yuni. Those should be up in a few weeks, I think. John had one for sale at UNICON and Keith (I didn’t get your last name, man) was riding another one.

I just love these unis. After trying them out and seeing all of the freestyle and trials magic at UNICON, I can’t wait to try to learn some of that stuff.