onza hub

how strong is it?

is it stronger than the KH or Profile?

Lutz

I dont know about the onza hub but i know that the suzue hub is strong

kh-splined and profile is stronger then the onza hub

Interesting quote…
The Suzue hub is a very hard, good grade standard steel. It has a hardness of about 430 Vickers. The CrMO equivient hub that unicycle.com does has a hardness of 580 Vickers and is a much tougher steel because it is CrMO.

The Onza hub, the profile and KH-splined hub are all CrMO and are formed from a thicker bar. They are not in the same league as any none splined hub.

On what information do you judge the KH-spline and Profile to be “stronger” than the Onza?

Roger

bill nye the science guy:D

First: Years of riders who agressively will do 8 footers to flat, and not break their profiles. KH and Onza also take more abuse than the square taper hubs, which implies better strength.

Second: Engineering. The KH hub uses a pinch bolt and some hefty 8 splines, which expose tons of surface area to the crank, and als the pinch bolt helps to grabv the splines. The profiles are stronger because they have 48 splines. This exposes massive surface area to the crank, which is strong. Also, profile seems to have very strict standards as to which they machine their splines, which keeps them tight and in good contact. The Onza hub is strong, but the splines seem to have some play in them, and the cranks aren’t as beefy as the KH or Profile, and since they have siderake/q-factor, they have to deal with some heavy forces.

Basically, the KH and Profile are bettere because of testing. It’s like asking why the sky is blue. Who cares, it just is.

P.S. The sky is blue because the atmosphere has an equal index of refraction for all wavelengths of visible light, except the shorters ones (blue). This makes the sky appear blue because the blue has been separated from the white sunlight.

I have the onza and i feel like a guinea pig testing it. it works great, except for some problems i have posted about before. for one, the metal on the cranks seems to not be as strong as the metal on kh, from crank grabbing the bolt that attaches the crank to hub has become ovalized, and now the bolt wont turn, which sucks. it has not been tested as much as the kh and profile, which has been said above, so no one knows how strong it really is. as long as you are smart on it it will work great.

ya Mr.iknoweverythingandimgunnabeanassaboutitandmynameisrogeratunicycledotcom

see roger, the 11 year old is right, eat that

jeez

gerblefranklin, thanks for the reply.

From what I have seen the cranks of all 3 makes of crank are of very similar strength. The only rider who I know who has tested all 3 bent all of them within half hour with considerably less that 8 foot drops (he has also broken the DM ones). If anything the Kris Holm are more prone to twist than the other two. The profile does have the advantage that it does have the heavy weight version that is definitely stronger (and a lot heavier) than the others though.

I agree that the splines on the Onza are more prone to movement and wear due to the reasons you have mentioned.
They do require more maintenance than the profiles to reduce this, but are easier to do this with. Profiles also suffer from movement and wear. How many do you hear creaking and moving?
I am talking to Onza and I hope that this will be resolved to a large extent soon.

There is lots happening with hubs and cranks, things will change a lot in the next few years. It will get to the stage were we can answer this question properly but none of the present crank sets are perfect by any means.

Roger

… What?? Have some respect.

Profiles are not without their problems. I’m not happy with their keyway design. The keyway prone to developing slop and movement. The cranks may have a lifetime warranty, but the hub is not going to last a lifetime of muni abuse. If Profile wants to stay in the game they’re going to have to improve their keyway design.

All of the splined hubs and splined cranks right now have their own individual issues. None of them stand out as being without fault. I’m sure things are going to improve over the next several years as new hub and crank designs are developed and improvements are made to the existing hub and crank designs. I hope things improve.

There is a lot more to determining the strength of a hub and crank than looking at the surface area of the splines. There is the engineering design. Are there any stress risers, what’s the major diameter and minor diameter of the splines? What type of steel is used? What type of heat treating is done? How is the spindle secured in the hub body? Is the interface between the spindle and the hub going to develop slop, is it going to hold up to heavy use?

There is a lot to be considered when designing a strong unicycle hub and cranks.

Something that might be cool for a future development is a hollow oversized spindle kind of like the new Shimano Saint bottom bracket and crank design. An oversized spindle would mean you’d need to use larger bearings which would mean you would not be able to use existing frames. You’d need a new frame to fit the larger bearings. An oversized and hollow spindle could be a cool development for a strong and lighter weight hub.

Another new design might be a hub body that clamps to the spindle like a big shaft collar. That might work better than the current design of pressing the spindle inside the hub body and using a keyway to keep it from slipping. Maybe the flanges could be secured on the spindle like a shaft collar and we could do away with the middle part of the hub body.

Somewhere there is going to be a new design and that design is going to be good. Until then we’re stuck with the kit we’ve got.