"One-Man Portable Uni-Cable-Cam"

Exclusively from T.R. Peterson Innovations, Coming soon! :smiley:

(haha, long title, but it describes well!) :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously? We have to wait? Crumbs!

Haha well I have some more cool footage including some 36er speed runs I did with 190 feet of cable set at a pretty steep angle. I could have gone faster but I wanted to stay in frame. It still looks really fast and you can hear the rig ZIPPING down the line like crazy!

But I’m seriously thinking of making these systems pre-packaged and ready to use, with 100’ of line included, along with detailed written instructions and a also a DVD with sample footage and step by step tutorial and also my Flightline video. My systems are made specifically for a one man operation, being very portable and lightweight as well, and easily carried in a backpack. (Camera and unicycle not included, lol!) :slight_smile:

That sounds like a cool idea. I wonder if it would work in an urban setting.

Funny you ask. Just a little earlier today I used this filming technique for a picnic table jump! I was planning to do it on my 36er, but didn’t have longer cranks with me, and didn’t want to risk damaging my 114’s! I set up the cable about 10’ behind me, and had it cross over to the right as it traveled down the line, and as the camera was fast approaching me I was already going toward the end of the table, and the camera caught the action in full frame. Pretty cool.

I have many more ideas for urban filming using this method. It’s like having a professional cameraman with a glidecam, but this is even smoother!, and you can do this alone, and without the high cost of a videographer! Only real negative is it only goes in a straight line, but it’s still sufficient to get some amazing footage! :sunglasses:

Great Unigeezer film clips on youtube!

When will the custom helmet capes come out?

Cool I might want to buy one of these. I would just be nervous about it destroying my camera.

Haha, good one! :stuck_out_tongue:

No worries just use a couple of those soft foam tubular hand grips, and feed them onto the end of the line. They will stop the rig gently; I also cut slits down the one of them so it will collapse when the rig hits it, allowing the second one to fully stop it.

This way the stopping isn’t so abrupt. Watch my coker speed run at 4:39! You can see the rig hitting the foam stoppers at the end of the 200’ line, where it’s going a good 15mph when it hits! No damage, no problem.:slight_smile:

I’d get one.

I’m brainstorming ideas of how to use a remote trigger to release the camera down the line from far away, and I think I’ve got it.

nice video!
would be sweet if you filmed ripping down some long stairsets!
there are some perfect stairsets in West Hollywood at Pan Pacific Park by the Grove if you’re ever in the vicinity (about 20-25 steps that are spaced out with 3 to 6 stairs in each group)

Sounds cool. Yeah I’m planning a 500 foot uni-cable cam line in an urban setting! The shot will involve a fairly slow moving camera, tracking me riding through a maze of city stuff from stair set jumps, to benches and skinnies, etc., for the whole 500 feet, non-stop! Should be a very surreal looking result! :smiley:

Terry, with this work you have gone pro, and emerged into the realm of a true filmmaker. Very well done.

I am very thankful and humbled by your comment and truly appreciate it. I love the creative process so much and trying new ways to do things, be it riding, making videos, or pretty much anything. :slight_smile:

If you mean AIM, I don’t use it much any more, but you can PM or email me as well.

When you sell 'em … I totally want one! gonna try it with backpack movies … much slower.
Shug

Yeah it is just so much fun and now each time I go out riding, I’m always looking for potential trees and other structures to set up my rig! So it not just “I see trials lines”, but also now, “I see TREE lines!” :slight_smile:

Here’s some pics of my cable line, all wound onto my make-shift winder. There’s about 200 feet of 3/16th solid braid nylon. I have tried MANY other materials and diameters, and this is by far the best, and easiest to work with. And the stretch doesn’t cause any problems; in fact, when it’s pulled taut, most of the stretch is out by the time the camera is in motion.

This line has a breaking strength of more than 1,000 lbs, which is way more than needed, but this 3/16th’s size fits perfectly in the pulley and is smooth as silk. Anything smaller and the cord comes off the pulley very easily, and you really want large [nylon] pulleys for smoothness and less friction.

As you can see in the pics, the 200 feet of this wound line fits easily in my pack, plus my camera and the actual rig fits also with room to spare! I’m going out this weekend to an awesome tree-filled trail, that also has some great technical sections. I’m hoping to get some killer footage, plus I’ll mix in some traditional footage as well.

Btw, yesterday I tried increasing the line to 400 feet, and discovered pretty quickly that anything more than about 200-225’ is overkill, and takes waaaay longer to set up and especially unwind and REwind! And you can get plenty of footage with 200 feet, so 400 is definitely too much. Plus, the longer the line, the heavier it is, making it MUCH harder to get taut! Oh, and the longer the line, the higher it has to be at the high end, or the line will level out way before it ends, or the camera will bottom out on the ground!

Cheers! :D:):stuck_out_tongue:

DSC01366.JPG

I really want to see pictures of your pulley system. Could you please post pictures of the rig itself? I can’t really think of modifications for it if I don’t know what it looks like.

PM sent.

Thank you!

When setting up my “uni-cable cam”, the part I dreaded was letting out the line, and especially winding it back up out in the field. It was by far was the most time consuming part, and often the line would become tangled and take what felt like an eternity to untangle it!

So today, seizing on an idea, I went to home depot, spent about $5 and bought a thin, smooth piece of plywood about 1/8" thick, and a short piece of wood doweling about 3/4" diameter–I wanted narrower but they were out.

I proceeded to cut out two 9" diameter circles, and cut the 12" long dowel into four 3" pieces. I cut a smaller hole in the center of each circle for my hand to fit in, and viola, a great little “hoop” winder! It’s works perfectly, is lightweight and fits in my backpack easily.

You simply tie of the line to the first tree or whatever structure, then just let the winder unwind and spin freely in your hand. Rewinding it is fast and super easy now! No more tangles and this is a major time saver! After I put it together I realized that I could scale it down a fair amount, making it about 20-25% smaller. :):smiley: :sunglasses:

DSC01370.JPG

DSC01368.JPG

DSC01369.JPG

Like a hose holder thingy.

Bad description, I know, so heres what im talking about.

You could easily make yours like that. A handle, and whatever you want in the middle (Hand, large dowel, homemade bearing system…). Then just wind up.