On trails, who yields and how?

A lot of the trails in my area have signs like these:

I’m pretty sure that wheelchair one’s a joke, since it’s posted on a singletrack trail at a mountain bike park. Then again, if I we’re confined to a wheelchair I just might give it a try! Anyway…

I get the point of these signs. When two parties meet up, if necessary, one should step aside and let the other go by. According to the yellow sign, bikers let hikers and horse go by.

I’m sure we can create some good arguments to put unicycles into the hiker category, but for yielding purposes I assume I’m closer to a biker when I’m riding muni.

I’ve yet to encounter a horse, but I’m pretty sure I’d immediately dismount and let it go by.
What I normally encounter is hikers/walkers.

Sometimes the terrain is more difficult, so I dismount and walk past. I don’t want to UPD into the hiker or make them nervous as I work through it.
So in that case, I yielded. Aren’t I a nice guy? :roll_eyes:

But more often than not, the hiker clearly steps aside well ahead of time and I keep riding. Many times they have a dog they pull in. They sometimes look a little put out, but I may be misreading their expressions. Maybe they’re a bit confused/surprised at what they’re seeing. And they might be a bit concerned about me falling on them or their dog. Other times I get a greeting or unicycle comment.
So in that case, I did not yield. :o

It all feels right. I don’t think I’m pissing people off by not yielding.
Is this about how it goes with the rest of you?
Or am I supposed to be dismounting for every hiker/walker?

If like you said they move and step off the track to let you go past then its far game, they are pretty much giving you right of way.

However if they don’t automatically move out of the way I’d say dismount and walk past them and then carry on.

Just seems common courtesy really.

If like you said they move and step off the track to let you go past then its far game, they are pretty much giving you right of way.

However if they don’t automatically move out of the way I’d say dismount and walk past them and then carry on.

Just seems common courtesy really.

I usually yield to hikers when they’re approaching, even if they’ve already moved off the trail, expecting me to ride by. If I’m coming up from behind, I may either dismount and walk past them or wait for them to move out of the way.

In my neck of the woods, most MTBers do not yield to hikers either way; I guess hikers tend to think I won’t yield to them when they see me coming.

I prefer to dismount most times, since I ride the same trail a lot and may see the same people again, and often times I strike up a conversation with the hikers.

I think it’s really cool to be able to talk to strangers about Muni, or just about general stuff, when you would otherwise have no reason to talk to them. I’ve probably met hundreds of people this way, by dismounting rather than riding by.

It is a conundrum isn’t it?

I would say that the hikers have the right of way but when they are stepping aside well before you get there they probably don’t really think of it, they see something unusual coming towards them and the safest reaction to not knowing what to do about it they step off the trail and let you pass.

I think you are doing it right and would make sure to thank the hiker whenever you see one stepping aside for you since they really don’t have to.

1. Everybody yields to horses (nobody likes a frightened horse)
  2. Cyclists yield to hikers
  3. Unicyclists are cyclists
  4. When two equal travelers meet, downhill traffic yields to uphill traffic
  5. When wheelchairs are present, everybody yields to them
  6. Don’t create your own trails, or widen the trail around puddles
  7. Ride it, don’t slide it (more of a problem for bikes)
  8. Leave no trace

A few generally accepted general rules for the trail. When encountering horses, you almost always get kind words from the riders if you dismount and wait for them to pass. Riding close past horses is not recommended. Hikers usually do move to the side. Usually there is room for you to pass each other, so no problem. When in doubt, the hikers get the right of way.

By being cyclists, we eliminate all the problems. Everybody understands where we’re supposed to fit into the hierarchy, what rules/laws should apply to us, etc. Yes it limits us from some trails, but it’s the responsible way to approach it.

Very good advice.

Trail etiquette

Hello,
Yes, I agree with most of the above. But as Saskatchewanian states as with hikers if you see the unusual to just stay put or off the path. I tend to yeild to everything, because as an oddity on our trail I stick out. Unibabyguy states, that as you ride the same trails you become recognized and gain a reputation that will follow all of us UNI/MUNI riders into town, and else where.
I think that if everyone uses common sense and courtesy it pretty well covers Johns Eight trail rules.

I yield to mountain bikers because (a) most of them are incompetent, so it’s safer to get out of their way; and (b) it amuses me that I’m the one who goes off into the rough to let them past with their two wheels and 96 gears.