On Camber Sensitivity

Yesterday I realized my Hookworm was self-deflated down to 30 psi, so I pumped it up to 60 psi and the result turned out magical, I did not feel any camber problem in a 5 miles ride! Will keep observing.

That’s great you found pressure had dropped which caused issues.

I pulled out my 26” nimbus with its hookworm on to ride the other day as I haven’t ridden it in a while and enjoyed it lots with no camber issues.

I’m heading out this afternoon for a ride on either nimbus again or qu-ax 27.5” when i decide where I want to ride.

1 Like

After a few more rides I can confirm that high tire pressure eliminates the camber effect. I mean it certainly still tilts on extremely cambered road, but on typical city roads the effect is unnoticeable.

1 Like

If all else fails to correct a camber sensitivity issue, including changing tires, rims, frames, saddles, running psi at max, etc., then it’s a safe bet that it’s the rider. Everyone’s anatomy is different and even slight variations in a person’s leg length or whether they subconsciously favor one side or the other can effect how the uni will track.

For me, my KH 36er always pulls slightly to my right, regardless of all the above remedies, no matter the road surface or whether the road is dead flat and level. So I tried something new and it had noticeable, if not dramatic results. I used my surform planer to remove rubber from the left side of a NR tire, so that it would then contact that area at a lower point, in effect correcting the right side lean.

Did it work? Yes! Btw, the “area” I’m referring to is mainly toward the left side of the center knobs. While riding on the beach bike path I could actually see the sand and dust collecting on the tire was now a bit more to the left center of the tire rather than dead center. Next project will be to see if this works on my T monster / Nextie rim combo.

images.jpeg

1 Like