Old guy on a 15 foot giraffe

So, I’m riding my coker down to the beach today and this guy in his 80s yells something at me. I’m wearing my Ipod and rocking to System of a Down so I wave and keep going. Next thing I know, he is running me down. He says: “That’s a big wheel, let me show you mine.” I dismount and he pulls an ancient photo out of his wallet of him one footing on a 15’ uni. By the cars in the background, I can tell it is late 1940s. He built it and rode it way back then. He said he built it 15 feet because he heard someone had a 12 footer. I asked if he still rode and he said not for a couple years because all his unis burnt up in a fire. I told him about this website and to post the photo. He said he’d see if his wife would do it as he doesn’t do computers. I wish I had a pen or something to get his info because it was the coolest uni photo I’d ever seen!

Haha, that’s a pretty cool story, it’ll be interesting to see if he(/she) makes a thread about it. :slight_smile:

cool thats weird.

on the topic of unicycling history and old people…

when i was street performing on my 5 foot giraffe, just before i started there was a guy selling newsapapers and he said, "you know what the unicycle was first used for? “It was used to go through really tight gaps” “and then circus’s took the idea and thats why they i being used for fun and street performing and stuff now”. He also said that you cant find it on the web.

Is this True?

Pretty funny. When I saw the thread title, I thought this was going to be another self-promotion story, but you surprised me.

Did you give the old guy one of Your Cards, so he could link up to unicyclist.com and all your sponsors? Is there any risk those sponsors will drop you now for “an even older uni guy”?

No. If you want to get through a really tight gap, you walk.

When i read that, i instantly thought of someone wheel walking a giraffe. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, he is wrong about at least one thing. You can find that info on the web. Here for example; http://tinyurl.com/69c7t9

So, if he can be wrong about that, is it just possible he’s wrong about what they were used for?

STM

I think you might be confusing Munivision with MuniAddict…

Oldsters

Ok, to shift gears, how old is the oldest person to ride a giraffe?

We have a 5 1/2 footer at the shop and I’ve been building up the courage to try it. For the record, I turn 62 in October.

How right you are. Thanks for pointing that out…my faith in MuniAddict is restored. :smiley:

That part of the story sounds way too familiar. Doesn’t it Gilby?

Hi Pat.
With your considerable skills you will have no problems.

I managed it in Oct 06, at age 71 after about 15 minutes of gingerly holding onto a wire mesh tennis court fence. It was a borrowed 5’ giraffe and I was worried about two things, one; damaging the seat and two; how my elderly knee joints would survive a drop from that height.

I had been told that it was fairly easy if one could already ride a normal uni and I found that to be true. Just take your time holding onto the fence and riding along beside it and let go from time to time until you feel confident enough to let go completely and just ride off. I was on my own and managed to figure out how to mount it by putting one foot on the outer lower pedal and clawing my way up the mesh netting to get onto the seat.
I did two unplanned dismounts, didn’t damage the seat, (reached back and held it up) and as I fell forwards I held my legs apart, bent my knees a little and landed completely flat footed onto the asphalt surface. My knees took the jolt no problems. I also did a backwards upd with the same result. I didn’t have much time available but did manage to do a couple of lengths of the court with a turn at each end.
A young schoolboy turned up so I asked him to take some photos. They did not come out very well and it was not a digital camera, so with my being somewhat limited (read “thick”, lol.) on an old computer the following small thumbnail sized photo is the best I can do at the moment. (if I can figure out how to post it here that is).

Sorry, just tried it and can’t figure it out. Even tried to exchange it for my current avatar, (me in full trail bike gear, ha ha!), no luck there either.
Cheers,
Peter.

It must be true, because that guy sells newspapers for a living so he must know everything! :stuck_out_tongue:

Some people can’t even figure out how to spell words with a computer and the whole Internet right in front of them… :roll_eyes:

Most “old” information is not found on the Internet. For example, all the cool information in the Unicycling Society of America’s Newsletter publication, now called On One Wheel, that started in 1973. It’s all real information, but it was put in print before the digital age. It’s not digitized/parsed/keyworded (yet) so it’s not there to find.

But from everything I know, that newspaper guy was just making that up off the top of his head. Unicycles aren’t particularly narrow, though they can turn a lot tighter than bikes. Circuses hired vaudeville entertainers that did unicycle (and bike) acts because they were good acts. Imagine an act that consists of riding through narrow gaps? Ooooh.

It must be true, because that guy sells newspapers for a living so he must know everything! :stuck_out_tongue:

Some people can’t even figure out how to spell words with a computer and the whole Internet right in front of them… :roll_eyes:

Most “old” information is not found on the Internet. For example, all the cool information in the Unicycling Society of America’s Newsletter publication, now called On One Wheel, that started in 1973. It’s all real information, but it was put in print before the digital age. It’s not digitized/parsed/keyworded (yet) so it’s not there to find.

But from everything I know, that newspaper guy was just making that up off the top of his head. Unicycles aren’t particularly narrow, though they can turn a lot tighter than bikes. Circuses hired vaudeville entertainers that did unicycle (and bike) acts because they were good acts. Imagine an act that consists of riding through narrow gaps? Ooooh.