Ohhh Yeahhh

Hi all,

You have a new member to the club: I just received my brand new Coker this afternoon!!!

I didn’t have time for a real ride, but I couldn’t let it rest. As soon as I touched it, I tried. I freemounted the first time, and I was surprised how a pleasure it is to ride. Tough acceleration and deceleration need some getting used to, it’s more easy than I thought. So tomorrow I’m gonna put a rail-seat-post, my air seat and DX pedals and go for a real test.

Later

Vincent

Excellent.
I remember my first Coker ride like it was yesterday. I spent 2 hours reading the owners manual over & over:) I finally just got on and rode like 14 miles (w/ jeans on :frowning: ). It really opened my eyes & blew my mind.
It still does----13,000 miles later.
-Mark

Wipe that smile off your face!

Welcome to the Tres Grande Wheel club!

Mark:

13K miles!!! Wow!
Are you for real? :astonished:

Re: Ohhh Yeahhh

Cool!
My main goal when I got my Coker was to freemount it on the first try. You only get one chance at that and I wanted it to be good. I cheated a little and pointed it down a slight hill just to make it easier. I was successful. Then came the next challenge. I needed to do a U turn cause the parking lot was running out of room. That little challenge was less successful. The big Coker turns a little differently than I expected. Oh well, it was 1 for 2.

Have fun with the new toy.

Cokerhead is defintely “for real”! You don’t have to wonder - just search for his posts. That’s what the handy Search button does.

I remember my first Coker ride. It was 5 years and 3 days ago. I put it together, mounted up, rode about 2 revolutions, and fell onto the road. On about the third or fourth try, I started really riding and loved the feeling. I did my first full commute to work within a few days (13 miles).

DON’T do what I did next which was to ride more and more, with a speedometer, pushing the max speed higher and higher. 5 weeks after I started, I crashed really hard at 18.1mph. My shoulder and elbow didn’t fully recover for a whole year (although I was riding again the next week). Anyway, take it easy and enjoy it - and welcome to the club!

—Nathan

Nathan, that is some great advice. When I get a Coker, I am sure I would have done the exact same thing. With your warning, I will wait at least 6 weeks before testing the top speed. :slight_smile: Seriously, that is great advice. --chirokid–

That really is good advice i think, Nathan. For the first year or so that i had my Coker, i just rode it. Somewhere along there, i added a computer to it, and for a while, every ride had to prove something…highest top speed, highest average speed, longest distance, etc. After a (very long) while, i finally went back to just enjoying the ride. The computer is still on it, i still like checking it when i finish riding for the day, but i don’t spend my entire ride feeling like i’m trying to prove something!

Enjoy the Ride!
Chuck

There’s an owners manual? I don’t remember an owners manual. Maybe I didn’t get one. I hope I’m not using my coker improperly…

And then you can ride over your brand new Golden Gate Bridge that I will now sell you

Hey,

I totally concur with Nathan, having made the exact same mistakes, and a few more. I’m still interestd in speed Cokering, but now, after three months, I realize two important things that I wish someone had told me the day I jumped onto my Coker. For whatever that’s worth, here they are:

First (according to what Kris Holm told me), many people have miscalibrated their cyclometers, and claimes of 20+ MPH with 150 cranks are, by and large, vastly exaggerated; trying to chase after those speeds, at the outset, only got me frustrated and damn near killed (I can wind up a road bike upwards of 35MPH on the flats, but it’s taken me 3 months on the Coker to learn to hold a true 13-14 MPH for as little as a couple miles). Second, providing you have the leg strength/quickness to wind up a road bike, Cokering speed comes from learning to relax (especially your stomach and core) and developing a smooth, even stroke (read–fluidly spinning, not punching, the peddles), without which the speed wobbles are so scary you simply can’t move your legs faster without the terrifying feeling that you’re going to eat asphalt any second.

So now my focus has shifted to developing control and fluidity, and having fun. I trust the speed will come, but chasing it has not worked for me so far.

In short–have fun, work on gaining fluid peddling mechanics, and put in a stack of miles.

Lastly, if you really are a die-hard for speed (like me), ocassional work on the Ultimate Wheel has helped smooth out my peddling mechanics, likewise, seat-out work on my Muni.

Enjoy!

JL

Re: Ohhh Yeahhh

nbrazzi wrote:
> There’s an owners manual? I don’t remember an owners manual. Maybe I
> didn’t get one. I hope I’m not using my coker improperly…

Just for you:
url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-coker1.jpg (48.6 KB)
url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-coker2.jpg (169 KB)
url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-coker3.jpg (147 KB)
url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-coker4.jpg (140 KB)

It’s a wonderful comedy document that basically spends 3 pages saying
“unicycling can kill you, so don’t say we didn’t warn you and try to sue
us if you fall off and hurt yourself”. Very, very American.

Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Why I like OE6 - http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/misc/oe6.html
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine

I remember mine too. David Coker brought one to the 1998 USA Convention in Monrovia, CA. I think this one was the first one Gilby won in the raffle. It was probably the first one any of us had seen. I took it outside and tried to ride it. The tire needed way more air. We put more air in. It still rode funny, because all my large wheel unicycing experience had been on hard, narrow tires. I had trouble with it because I was trying to curve and swoop around like I do on my 45" Tom Miller wheel. I did not yet know the Coker is best at going in a straight line.

I never rode any distance on a Coker until the 10k race at the 2001 NAUCC in Toronto. I borrowed one for that and had a blast riding it.

It’s cool that Coker Tire includes an owner’s manual with their product. So few unicycles come with one.

6 miles with jeans and i was in pain i feel for you, 14 miles…ouch :frowning:

The Coker manual is a classic with all the warnings of serious injury or death. I hope I still have the manual that came with my Coker. It’s going to be a keeper for a long time. I think it’s time to dig through the parts closet to try to find that manual. It’s gotta be in there somewhere.

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and good advices!

I tested the beast today. I did only 20 kms due to lack of time, but I rode up/down some steep hills and the wind was strong (we’re quite high up there!), so it gave me a good idea of the feeling : a pretty good one :smiley:

Originally posted by Nathan

Thanks for the note, I’m gonna try not to push myself too much, but I love speed…

Like Vivalargo wrote, it’s easier to have a good pedals stroke on a bike than on a Big Wheel. My coach taught me to have a fluid round one on a mtb, but without the help of the upper body, it’s more difficult. I’m gonna train to relax it, I think it’s an excellent advice.

I will soon need a speedometer, so what do you recommend? I heard Shwinn makes one for the 36 inches?

Once you have a few rides in, you will become much more comfortable on it. Less attention will need to be paid to ‘staying up’ and you will feel more relaxed, enough to focus on what needs to be worked on to get the most effective spinning.

Your knowledge of what an effective spin on a bicycle is, is a very big advantage. Handlebars Shmandlebars

The Schwinn isn’t the only cycle computer that will handle a 36" wheel. Many other brands and models will too.

I don’t think Schwinn is still making the model that I liked. Last time I went to Wal*Mart they had a new style Schwinn computer that isn’t as good.

The Schwinn computer I liked was this one:
Schwinn SW500
It’s still on the Schwinn web site, so I don’t know what’s going on.

Topeak has a new computer that looks a lot like the old Schwinn. Maybe Topeak bought the design from Schwinn???
Topeak computers

I’ve been thinking of getting a 29 inch uni, but now i’m concidering a coker after reading more posts. I want to go riding on the road, and I have a 24 which is ok. But I don’t wanna get a 29 and be like, this isn’t that much better for distance. And yes I know i’ll probably have both someday… so it’s just a matter of which one first.

Now I know not to go for speed too much, thanks.

Andrew

CJ-52, there is no question. Get a COKER! A 29er is a compromise for the road - easier to transport and lighter, but it doesn’t have the speed. It’s still really a small unicycle whereas the Coker is something different. It depends on what you want. If you’re doing cross-country Muni (and are not crazy), you might want a 29er.

vincelemay, I have been using Vetta RT-88 and V100A on my Hunter36. The reason I picked these is that the transmitters are pretty wide and work with the extra wide hub on my wheel. With a standard Coker, you can use these or a Cateye Cordless 2 like I have on my bike, or many others. I recommend wireless as these have been working for me and not having the wire is great. Battery life is good (years). The RT-88 only lasted a year before it got very hard to reset. I’ve got 100 miles on my new V100A and LOVE the altitude functions - overall it works great.

—Nathan