"Official" 29er Tire Reviews Thread

Checking in -

Killian did get in touch. I have been riding the SB8 for about 2 years now and love it. Very efficient and light, excellent traction. Not high-volume, not-bouncy. Pavement wears the tire harder than dirt but not enough to be a problem. Tight tread pattern creates a pretty smooth ride on pavement.

Re: 28" & 29" tires. Tire size is measured by the outside of the inflated tire. A 29" tire is a 28" tire that is 2" or fatter. 28" tires are for hybrid (comfort) bikes.

I will be getting an SB8 here soon. Seems like just the tire for me.

Thanks again Deadbeatpope!

For Alucard

What are you buying?

Hi unibiddy :slight_smile:

Funny you should ask. I’ve just come back from posting on 57Unirider…thread.
I’ve ordered a 29"" but it’s lost in the post :frowning: :thinking: :frowning:

It’s got the apple tyre. I think that was the best choice for what I’ll be doing with it. I’ll be mainly on tarmac with the occasional bit of gravel. If I do decide to go for something with knobs on I’ll go to my local halfrauds and see whats there, that way I get to actually see the tyre and not just a piccy.

cheers,

Alucard

Reposted from main uni forum:

Added another ride yesterday, a little more flowing, some steep ups and downs, played with tire pressure, surfaces varied from firm dry to damp, not a lot of mud. It was hot, 60-70% humidity, temps around 85f, so I found that the tire needed more air pressure to keep from folding and getting rim shots. I’m not sure why Hans is not feeling as firm on Day two as Day one, I don’t think I gained any weight…but in terms of air pressure and sidewall support, I am finding that Hans is on par with the Ardent.

What I notice most about the Hans vs the Ardent is that the outside knobbies on the Hans are very soft, so they flex when making hard turns. At first I thought this was the sidewall, but it does appear to be the knobbies. I started with the pressure at 14psi which rode nicely over tech terrain, but was soft and squirrely when leaned over through turns at speed, so I gradually bumped the pressure up to 17-18psi which firmed it up nicely.

The Hans is not that much more robust in terms of sidewall support than the Ardent, but it does have a deeper tread and stickier knobbies. Hans feels more “rubbery” than the Ardent, which is probably due to having more rubber in the sidewall and a sticky tread. The Hans is not a DH tire, so for 29ers the only DH styled tires are the Kodiak and the Dissent. I’m going to get a couple more rides on the Hans, then remount the Ardent and see how it feels in comparison. So far I like Hans, but I’m still getting a feel for whether it is significantly better than the Ardent. In a couple weeks I’ll have access to a Dissent for comparison, been a while since I rode one, so that’ll be interesting…

Save your money, for now :stuck_out_tongue:

Do any of you have experience running a 24" or 26" wheel on a 29er frame? Is there any disadvantage to doing something like that? Sorry to be off topic, but I figure I will toss this out where the 29er owners are at.

Beside that it looks weird and the brake doesnt fit… there wont be any problems :slight_smile:

There are also multi-frames like the triton, which are made for 24/26/29 wheels.

It’ll work with any frame that has a disc brake. I considered it, BUT, it’s just easier to have a complete uni for each wheel size since the wheel is your biggest expense.

I believe the KH frames are all the same width at the crown, just differences in height, maybe someone could check that…

Sweet, thanks for the answers. I’m probably going to get a 26" wheel set up to give it a whirl. If i don’t like it, I can always sell the wheel and get a nimbus oracle… I’m not too worried about a brake not fitting, I don’t have one :stuck_out_tongue: my legs are my brakes!

KH frames are all the same width at the crown. The width is essentially the narrowest possible (lowest profile possible) to fit the range of tires that riders use, with the crown rounded further inwards above this point. On the current models it doesn’t matter so much if you’re not planning on using the rim brakes, although it’s easier to have a frame per wheel with the proper frame size. A KH26 frame is a good setup for either a 24" or 26" wheel. With a disk brake you can switch either the 24 or 26 out with no adjustment necessary.

Kris

Thanks Kris!

More on Hans Dampf:

Okay, so I am still riding Hans, which is a good thing :slight_smile:

I have decided that Hans likes a little bit of pressure, so I am now running 18psi and I find that the tire holds it shape better and is quite fast, while remaining sticky. The side knobs are a lot softer and longer than the Ardent, so they do “squish out”, but it doesn’t seem to reduce traction so much as increase grip.

When I ran 14-16psi I had some sidewall collapse that accentuated the knobby flex, which made the tire a little unstable when making low angle hard turns, but with the pressure at 18psi this is no longer a problem.

The tire is very big, I haven’t measured it lately, but it appears to be strtching out and it sure seems bigger than an Ardent, in part likely due to the bigger knobbies. Tread wear is not an issue so far, that’s riding mostly on firm dirt and some rock.

I like this tire, the only thing I have not tried to ride is mud, whcih is strange because I keep going out after a rain but the warm weather dries it up before I can get to it; not a bad thing I suppose :slight_smile:

I’ll take a measurement later in the week…

My review of the Hans so far:
I really like how it looks on my uni.

. . . unfortunately I still haven’t ridden it other than across the yard once, because I couldn’t resist.

Okay, I thought Hans was looking kinda beefy, and so it is :stuck_out_tongue:

A non scientific, eyeballed dimensions: 65mm casing width, 55mm casing height, add a few mm in width when measures at the knobbies, as mounted on a KH FR 47mm rim at 17-18psi.

This tire is slighty bigger than my Arrow Racing Savage 26 x 2.6, which is 63mm x 50mm, as mounted on a KH FR 47mm rim at 14-15psi. Of course this tire is much burlier and heavy (1300gm).

Here are a few pics of my new just mounted Hans Dampf. I measured the casing width with a caliper at 62mmm on a KH FR 47mm rim at 20psi. The knob width is slightly less at 59mm. Now I’m off to get it dirty.:slight_smile:

Hans 003.jpg

Hans 004.jpg

Reposted from the main forum:

Okay, so now I have a bunch of rides on Hans, tonight was the final test as it has been unusually dry in the Southeast the past few weeks. Wet conditions arrived over the weekend, though conditions weren’t “Oregon” nasty, the trails were muddy clay, the roots were slimy, and rocks were wet.

I took Hans on one of my regular loops, Concord trails, started with the inside loops which are twisty and have lots of abrupt grade changes, narrow single track with wall to wall ivy and limbs to be ducked. After finishing the loops I emerged from the tree tunnel and set off across the ridge before dropping into a short technical downhill with some nice rooty stuff, small drops littered along the way. Then the trail opens up a bit before heading out to the shore where It winds in and out of the shoreline with lots of roots, abrupt grade changes, a few wood bridges, and a sand bag bridge, then up a big hill to the car.

Generally this loop lives me huffing and puffing, multiple UPD’s are standard, but today I had two quasi UPD’s and nothing more, i would almost say that it was an easy ride. Hans wins another one:D

Hans has great wet and dry traction, great float, it can be a little “rubbery” at times, but not that out of character for a high volume tire, size wise it’s as big as any 29er tire I have ridden, as big as the Racing Ralph 2.4 but with the added benefits of having a thick casing, big knobbies, and sticky tread.

I did one big off angle jump to clear a bunch of wet angled roots and the tire folded hard enough to make that rubbery groan sound (you know the one), but I think this is more a function of making a wierd landing and running low pressure (18psi). I could easilly run more pressure and land better :roll_eyes:

I found that at my 200#, 18psi was a good all around pressure, but I could run as low as 16psi is really soft conditions; lowest I ran was 14psi, or as much as 20psi with no real detrimental effects other than being a little softer or a little firmer. It is a fast tire, don’t let the deep tread and soft rubber make you think it’s slow, Hans rolls very well for it’s size.

If you don’t already have an Ardent and you’re looking for a fat tire, Hans would be worth spending a little more. There are three models, a wire bead economy model, a sticky triple tread and the more durable triple Pacestar tread, I have the Hans in a Pacestar. don’t get me wrong, The Ardent is a great tire and if I wasn’t such a gear whore, I’d still be riding the Ardent, but hey, I am what I am :stuck_out_tongue:

Claude, any more feedback on Hans?

No, I have only been able to get out on it once and really liked that experience. I posted some comments here. New 29er Tire from Schwalbe

I hope to ride it a lot at the Southeast Munifest this weekend. :slight_smile:

Hans is still on top of the podium, I can’t think of anything I’d change, it’s light for it’s design, has as much volume as any 29er tire I have tried, minimal rolling resistance, sticky tread, good all around pattern for wet or dry, runs okay at low pressures. I’m running 18psi now, the lowest I have run is 14psi. I think Claude said he runs 20psi.

It’s expensive, but seems to wearing well, so buy one and keep it for a while…

I am running the Hans between 18-20 psi and think that is optimal for me. I have not tried it lower. Above 20 psi I found it bouncy on the bumps.