"Official" 29er Tire Reviews Thread

Another good option is the Schwalbe Super Moto 2.35

I looked for the 29er version of that tire and can’t find it. Perhaps it’s been discontinued.

Possible, Schwalbe’s turnover is pretty fast!

I’m in the market for a few 29er road tyre I think - I’m running a Dominator 2 rim so don’t want anything too skinny, but with it being a road machine I don’t want a bit fat treaded MTB tyre :smiley:

I’ve been browsing the Schwalbe website and come across the G-One Speed, which seems to be what I’m after. It’s a bit expensive but if it lasts a while I’ll be happy to pay it :smiley:

Anyone given this tyre a spin? It’s apparently 560g for a 29x2.35 which sounds crazy!

On their website, it says ‘new for 2017’, so clearly… it’s a new tire! :slight_smile:
It looks like a beefier version of the Big One which is mentioned on this thread, and which is on my uni, and makes me happy since I put a narrower rim.

Schwalbe rate its Service Life at 2/6 on their own site. The tread looks very superficial. Worn right off at 1500 miles on the rear of a road bike according to this review.

Definitely crazy. Reviews also say it is easily punctured but that is to be expected on such a light tyre.

Maximum pressure 50 psi could be an issue on a uni under heavy torque. I weigh 80kg and I found I needed 55 psi on the Torch 29x2.10 or the sidewalls felt like they buckled on steep hills. I imagine the larger profile could be even more prone to this.

Think it would be interesting race tyre.

Yeah I reckon leaving it for race day is a good plan… 2/5 service life and being a pincushion doesn’t sound brilliant. My dreams say I want a lightweight racing tyre, but the ‘you commute on this thing every day, don’t be stupid’ side of my brain says maybe look for something more burly :smiley:

I suppose I could set it up tubeless to stop the punctures but that still leaves the service life. I reckon I’ll shop around a bit more :stuck_out_tongue:

Further to the above - I went out and bought a nice new shiny Schwalbe Marathon Supreme! It’s a hell of a lot lighter than my Halo tyre, and bald as a baby, so should be plenty fast. Initial impressions are good but I only gave it a quick spin up and down my street in both gears. Very squirmy (expected for a tyre of only 2" and such low rolling resistance) but I’m sure I’ll learn my way out of that :slight_smile:

I’m slightly apprehensive given other people’s experiences riding 2" Schwalbe tyres on the Dominator rim, but it feels solid and doesn’t need that much pressure in it to feel stiff enough anyway. I’ll give a better review tomorrow after I commute to/from work on it!

WOW, had a ride to work and back on the Marathon Supreme, what a beast that is! The weight and (lack of) rolling resistance is VERY noticable in high gear, it pretty much feels as easy to pedal as my 36" unGuni now :smiley:

As I mentioned above it is a little squirrely presumably due to the extremely pointy profile (so there is very little actual tyre on the road) which was a problem for about half a mile until my legs got used to it. It sits well in the Dominator2 rim and doesn’t seem to want to explode, which is always nice, and mounted without levers. I’ve only put 40psi in it and it feels absolutely solid, which I like because I HATE having any squish in my tyres (I run the TA 36er at 50psi!).

So yeah, well happy with this one (albeit only after 10 miles of riding) - only thing left to see is how well it lasts, and how well it takes punctures which is something I’ve heard the tyre is great for :smiley:

Nice!
What crank length on your GUni? (Sorry it’s off topic!)

They’re 137/117 Spirits, one day I hope to be brave enough to use the short hole :smiley:

I think the Dominator2 rim has a lip which more or less pretends the bead from blowing off of the rim. The (older?) KH rims don’t have such a lip and I’ve several Schwalbe road tyres blow off of them.

Yeah I’ve heard of this happening with both of these rims unfortunately :frowning: Seems to mainly be the 2" Big Apple.

My Supreme is still on and I’ve ridden it a fair bit by now so I guess it’s there to stay :smiley:

Was in a b**e shop today and saw a 29" Big Apple in a new size: 2.15" - actually they call it a 28" tire. It says “balloon bike” or somthing like that on the sides, which I guess could be a bad thing for a uni facing road camber!

Interesting thing is that it’s grey and not black. Apparently, it’s also available in brown, perfect for sidewalk riding in Paris as there are quite a few dog poops out there!!! :smiley:

The Big Apple has been available in a 29x2 and 29x2.35 for a while, so weird to see that they’ve put another one square in the middle. Probably good though, apparently people have ‘squirmy’ issues with the larger version and explodey problems with the smaller one.

Came across a raving review of the 29" Hookworm left on Amazon… by a unicyclist!

That tire was so heavy, I gave up on it quickly. But maybe it could be interesting with a Schlumpf as it would give it inertia, à la 36" riding.

Hookworm 29"

The link doesn’t lead me to the review so I haven’t read it.
I use the Hookworm on my 29" unicycle and am quite pleased with it. True, the tyre is heavy but since I ride long distances on it and no hills, that’s not an issue. The road crown sensitivity, something that I’m quite sensitive to, is reasonable (certainly not absent but somewhat better than Big Apple 2.35). Rolling resistance is low, similar to Big Apple.

I think there is another 29er tyre thread, but anyway, this seems to be appropriate.

Thorofareken posted on this forum about the WTB Slick 29" 2.2 tyre. I just put it on my uni and I like it. Pretty close to effortless pedalling on flat ground. Feels very nimble. If it wasn’t for needing to go up hills I’d even go with shorter cranks I reckon (Current setting 127mm). First 7 or 8 times I tried to stop and hop, it worked. I didn’t ride in any place with massive camber, but in the areas with camber, I didn’t notice it.
Previously I had a Maxxis hookworm tyre on it which was pretty good and Schwalbe Big Apple (I didn’t like it at all, always felt the camber).

Nice! How does it compare with the Hookworm? It must be much lighter for a start as the Hookworm is such a weight monster…

It seems faster and more manevurable!!

Aug 22nd was on a trials uni

1 Like