"Official" 29er Tire Reviews Thread

45nrth Nicotine good?

Hi All,

I’m already anticipating winter riding my 29er. Can anyone recommend the 45nrth Nicotine (studded or otherwise)? It sure looks good but looks can be deceiving.

I got one, studs are amazingly good. Grips well in the snow too. Depending on how you take your corners it can suck really bad though. To be honnest, it isn’t the best tire for unis. I used mine to comute only and it was fine appart for turning. If you ride fast enough you wont feel it :stuck_out_tongue:

If you are looking for a really good ice grip tire that can handle some brown sugar I highly recommend the Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro. I really like mine on my geared 26 for winter commuting. You don’t get any of those weird transition feelings from distinct center and edge traction zones, but it’s pretty draggy compared to a summer tire and you will be glad you only have to buy one ($$$)

Turning is overrated anyway, it’s just a small part of the experience… :smiley:

Thank you Sasketchewanian!

Owing to your location and certain abundant experience w/ ice and snow, I will act on this advice and go w/ the $chwalbe Ice $piker.

They all seem expensive tho, except, perhaps, for the homebrews.

Why a Knard 29x3 can also be good on the road.

I have this tire on my G29 and at the beginning I was expecting more sensitivity to road camber, especially knowing that I have a 47mm kh rim…

Now I see why it’s good on the pavement too: the day before this photo I rode on mud which stayed on the tire and was dry the day after, then I was testing some stuffs on the wet floor of my parking and this revealed how thin (for a + tyre) was the surface in contact with the floor when inflated at 32 PSI.

As you can see, the wet track is not wider than a nightrider 36x2.25 tire for example.
Indeed it’s 4cm (1,57") wide, so even thinner.

I really like this tire on my G29, it’s rather light (about 900gm) but heavy enough to give the inertia that makes the ride in high gear pretty stable in comparison to a G26 with a light road tire.
It can handle roads and trails pretty good, depending on the PSI
The only downside is it’s not as good on wet and slippery floors.

Hi, I’m looking for a vee rubber speedster 29x2.8 tire unicyclist review.
Does anyone have it on his 29er?

Schwalbe Rock Razor 29 Super Gravity TS

A quick review of the Schwalbe Rock Razor 29 tire ( Super Gravity - Trailstar) :

I just tried this tire out in my typical riding conditions here in the desert of southeastern Arizona and it did really well compared to my go-to 29er tire - the Super Gravity Hans Dampf.

The Short - for dry sandy, and loose-over-hard conditions in the desert this is a great XC / tour tire. Jenson USA has these on clearance right now (Dec 2016) for $20. Definitely worth getting one.

Trail Conditions - dry - Hardpack, loose (sandy) over hard, rocky, 1-2" deep sandy spots, some steep ups and downs, some road sections.

Setup - Nimbus Drak 29er with Coker handlebars, disc brake and a 50mm wide Surly Rabbit Hole rim.

This tire rolls slightly smoother and faster than the Dampf on rd, hardpack, and loose-over-hard. I also found its grip a little more consistent. It seemed to behave this way on flats, as well as steep climbs and descents, and off-camber slopes.

The tire did better than expected on sections with deeper sand (~2"). I didn’t notice any decrease in performance over the Hans Dampf. Its possible that going fast into sandy section this tire slowed a bit faster but its hard to say.

The light 50mm rim really gives this tire a stable feel, but it retains enough roundness in its profile to carve alright too. It took the uni off some 1 ft drops and it landed squarely (same as the SG Hans Dampf).

Nice one!
And according to the manufacturer’s page, it’s only 740g in 29"!
https://www.schwalbe.com/fr/offroad-reader/rock-razor.html

Anyone run the Vee Bulldozer 29 x 3.25?

Quick follow-up on the Rock Razor Review (After more rides on different trails):

This tire definitely slows faster in sandy sections and is more sensitive to turning in sand. There are few sandy wash crossings that I typically clear on the Hans Dampf, but bailed when I wasn’t careful with the Rock Razor to go straight through.

The tire seemed to have a slight but consistent improvement in grip on hardpack and loose-over-hard. I was able to clear a tough climb on loose-over-hard that I never cleared on the Hans Dampf.

Finally, if you get this tire be careful to look for the rotation arrow on the sidewall. The side knobs actually tilt out to the front when its setup correctly. This seemed backwards to me so I flipped the tire, but noticed some self-steer when I did this.

Follow-up 2 on the Rock Razor

After getting used to this tire a bit I feel like I’m doing almost as well with it in sandy areas as the Hans Dampf.

I noticed a little improvement switching form the Nimbus rim to the Surly Rabbit Hole. It widens the tire a tad, stabilizes the sidewalls a bit, and lightens things up.

The Super Gravity Hans Dampf (or Rock Razor ) / Surly Rabbit Hole rim combo gives a strong, light wheel that can run low psi and does not have much tire fold-over with side hops.

I’ve been very happy with the Surly Rabbit Hole rim (both 29 and 26). They are light, tubeless ready (they small platforms to seat a tubeless bead), and they are fairly strong (maybe due to the tall sidewall). I’ve taken plenty of 2 to 3 ft drops, tech sections, and wild UPDs on the 26 Rabbit Hole over the past 2 months and it hasn’t bent, flattened, or come grossly out-of-true.

After reading through this thread I decided to take the plunge and order this tyre. putting it on one of the original KH 29 rims, I had a big apple on the wheel for a number of years. I have a feeling I will like this one a little more.
-Philip

Maxxis Minion DHR II Plus 29x3.0 - Quick Review / Specs:

I just tried this tire for sand riding on a Surly Rabbit hole 50mm rim and a Nimbus Oracle 29 Frame. The tire rubs slightly when climbing - it would probably not rub on a narrower Nimbus rim, or with the wider KH29 frame.

It plows through sand as well as any non - fat bike tire I’ve tried. I rode through a wash (dry riverbed) that has deep loose sand (can’t feel hardpack under it - like beach sand). At about 8-10 psi (with a tube), this tire would float / plow through the sand for a hundred feet or so before I had to bail. Once the sand got shallower (4 inches deep or less) this tire was great - it steadily plowed and gripped along without stalling or slipping.

Better than any plus tire I’ve tried for sand. I was hoping for slightly better performance, but I think Ill have to get fat uni for that. Practice will help, but I think sand riding will still feel more “technical” than smooth.

On hardpack / rd of course it rides like a tractor with lots of buzz, but is not horribly unmanageable. Self steer and squishy-ness are workable for such low pressure (8-10 psi again - I weigh about 165lb).

Tire Version - DHR II Plus DC EXO TR
DHR II Width - 74mm
DHR II diameter - 768mm

Schwalbe magic Mary

Quick review:
Schwalbe sell this tire as 2.35" wide tire, but when I stratched it (I use for half year) it measures little bit over 2.5". It has very stiff sidewalls And it takes drops (about 1.5m) pretty well (compared to Bontrager chupacubra 3.0) I really like how this tire behaves in wet conditions. For me it has two disadvantages it Is really heavy (I have trailstar super Gravity one So about 1kg), And it has high rolling resistance.

Duro Crux 29x3.25

I just received this from JonesBikes.com. Mounted on a Surly Rabbit Hole rim it measures an honest 3 inches inside knobs, almost 3.2 outside knobs.

Weight on my scale: 1250 grams.

It’s going in my Flansberrium 29+ - yes there is plenty of clearance in the frame for this thing.

Will post more info/feedback after I ride a few times.

Very nice one.
I’ll measure the frame of my 2016 KH29", I wonder if it would fit under it.

The 27.5x3.25 Duro Crux fits the 2016 KH27.5 frame, but the 2016 KH29 frame is not quite tall enough. However, the KH29 fits the 3.0" version of the tire.

I also widened the KH27.5 and KH29 frames very slightly for 2017 (only by 2 mm), to make absolutely sure that there was no rubbing when cranking hard side to side up climbs and slightly increased the vertical clearance.

Here is the vertical clearance from hub centerline to underside of crown, and horizontal clearance at the position of the widest part of the tire:
2016 KH27.5: 380.5 mm (vertical) and 94 mm (horizontal)
2017 KH27.5: 383.5 mm (vertical) and 96 mm (horizontal)

2016 KH29: 391.5 mm (vertical) and 94 mm (horizontal)
2017 KH29: 401.5 mm (vertical) and 96 mm (horizontal)

RE: Duro Crux 29x3.25

I’ve been on only two 7 mile rides and initial impression is this is a good/great tire. I experienced no negative aspects like auto-steer on off-camber terrain.

Positive aspect is the very beefy tread resulting in great traction. Some may perceive this as a negative as it makes it more difficult to initiate a rapid twisting turn at slow speed. For me, the traction is confidence inspiring.

Oh, and I should mention the tire I was riding previously was a Gravity Vidar which I also like a lot.

I’d echo that with the Crux - was really surprised at how well it corners, even on pavement, given the deep tread and volume. No feeling of auto steer at all, in my experience.