"Official" 24" Muni Tire/Tyre Review Thread

I <3 (maxxis) hookworms

Im not a muni rider, just a street cruiser. My 24" one and only uni came with a high roller. I hated that tire. It didn’t turn felt sluggish and was noisey. I loved the look of the hookworm but could not find one anywhere. I switched to a k-rad. Better smoother, turned much better and did not feel like a tank. Finally 1 year later found a hookworm from chain reaction cycle. It is the perfect tire in my opinion fast and the smoothest tire I’ve been on and looks bad a$$!

Thanks for that, Projectsimpson. Yes, I think everyone hearts the Hookworm. I put one on my 26" a couple of months ago but the 24" size seems to have dried up. I just went through all the Maxxis tires at Chain Reaction and they only show it in 16", 20", and 26" sizes. 24" ones are still on the unicycle.co.uk site, to name another one, but it’s listed as Out of Stock there. Too bad.

I almost ordered a Kenda K-Rad too. The bmx tread looked it might be better on loose stuff than a Hookworm or Cyclops, going by the pictures at least. But I only saw it in 24 x 1.95" (50-507) and I was in the mood for something wider. Now I see there’s also a 24 x 2.3" (58-507) size. You have to look a little harder for that one.

lucky with tires

I guess I was really lucky to find that hookworm and jumped on it. As for the k Rad I went to my local bike shop and was able to get one in 24 x 2.30. I agree with you LargeEddie bigger is better!

lucky with tires

I guess I was really lucky to find that hookworm and jumped on it. As for the k Rad I went to my local bike shop and was able to get one in 24 x 2.35. I agree with you L.E. bigger is better!

I was looking for more about the pink Halo Twin Rail tire on waalrus’s freewheeling 26’er because it looks like candy to me and happened to see that Chain Reaction has that tire in 24x2.2" size now. I don’t know if I missed that when I scanned that site in August or what. It’s available in pink, green and grey with black sidewalls. Could be a contender…

The new Duro 24" x 3"?

This comes from another thread entitled “If the 3” duro goes away" (See:If the 3" duro goes away)

I just compared the tread pattern of the photo of the Halo Contra 24" x 3" on the Chain Reaction Cycles website with the actual Duro Wildlife 24" x 3" that came on my N24 and it’s the same tire!

So there’s your answer: What happens when the Duro Wildlife 24" x 3" disappears is we start buying & using the Halo Contra 24" x 3".

And at $34.49 from Chain Reaction vs. $55 from UDC US, we get a $20 price break.

Nice! Good find UnicycleSam123!

Nice work there.

The Halo Contra is actually a Duro, with another name brand. I’ve seen the Halo once, it was printed Halo but it was molded Duro. So whenever Duro stops making they’re tire, Halo will also stop. Only unicyclists ride 24x3 today. As far as I know, nobody still ride 3" wide tires on bikes, not even the very few freeride bikers left (fat bikes are the exception).

I have to replace my tyre. I actually have a nokia gazzaloddi and therre is no more. It’s a same because i love that tire.
I think i will buy intense DH 24x3.0 it seems to be similar to nokkian

They are better, but they are no longer made, so gool luck finding one.

All tyres I like no longer are no longer made :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
I wil try to find more than one :smiley:

This could be what makes the 24 die. Not going to lie 24s are kind of silly

For the Intense tire, try here:

http://uni_cyclist.home.comcast.net/~uni_cyclist/uniproshop/

It has a contact number on it. Jamey, (Unicycle6869 here on the forums) and I talked a bit about this topic last July. He used to have uniproshop.com, which has been downgraded to the link above. He was co-owner and had the remaining stock of the Intense 3.0 tires. He’s since moved out of the country, but said he believes there are still some tires left in CA.

If the contact on that site doesn’t work, try contacting Jamey via the forum. He can get you in touch with the stateside person. If it sounds fishy, it isn’t. Jamey’s legit.

As far as the 24s being kind of silly goes, remember- most of unicycling is kind of silly in the first place.

Give it a bit of time and someone will be championing the new latest, greatest size. Is it 26x3.8? 26x4.0? 32? 29+? 650b?

This will go on while some killer riders will still be smoking the rest of us on a 24 with a Duro.

If you like the 24 then find some tires and ride it. I’m not super attached to the size, but there are times when it’s the right at the right time for me.

Well …

It’s 24 x 4.0.

29plus is we’re it is at with me

Now, this is going to be interesting!

How long had we waited for a 24" fat tire??

At the risk of derailing this topic, I’m curious based on some recent comments about attitudes toward the 24" muni format. It seems that some just see it as a stepping stone to bigger wheels but I also have a feeling that the pendulum has swung back a little this year, that some folks have recently gotten them or have dusted off one they hadn’t ridden in a while and are really liking the size for more technical rides.

I guess I don’t have the initiative to create a survey topic about this right now. If anyone does, please feel free to do so. However I get the sense that 24" was pretty much a fad for downhill bicycles, no longer needed when suspensions improved and frames got clearance added for fat 26" tires. But they were out there to be adopted when mountain unicycling caught on and might still suit a lot of muni riders better than other tire sizes. Yes or no?

I dabbled in 24in free ride and found the 26 to be tons better

Thanks, knoxuni. I already had you in the “stepping stone” category. :slight_smile:

Find your sweet spot – and don’t expect it to stay put!

I started a reply to this recent discussion on 24" muni and it soon became an autobiographical “book,” so I didn’t submit it. Here’s the short (?!?) version. :slight_smile:

I started riding MUni on a 24" in the Spring of 2009, and found it to be just right for learning to ride off road. (I initially learned to ride on sidewalks on a 20" some 40 years prior.) Once I became proficient riding trails on the 24" (after a year or two) I started feeling a strong desire for more speed. That led me to graduate to a 29," which presented all kinds of new challenges (a good thing :roll_eyes: ).

After a few UPDs that shook me up in 2011 & 2012, I wondered if a 26" would be better for me :thinking: . I tried out a 26 Oracle at the 2012 Outerbike and it turned out it was – at that particular time in my skills progression. But, after a “remedial” year on the Oracle 26", I found myself longing once again for more speed, which lead me back to the 29".

Now I feel the 29" is “just right” for the riding I do (semi technical intermediate XC outings of 6 to 16 miles), and I love the speed :D.

One big factor in all of this was my confidence level on each uni. The 29-er is tall, and if you stall, it’s a long way down :astonished: .

Another factor turned out to be the handlebar setup I was using. My 24" had the standard grab handle and no handle “bars” to bruise me. My early 29er riding was done a Nimbus Shadow handle with a slightly shortened, up-turned bent T-bar of stock width. I got tangled up in that setup more than once, and developed an inherent fear of stalling and falling. I’ve now switched to the straight bar cut very short (instead of a longer curved-up bar), and with both ends of the “T” trimmed by 1/2", so the handle is lower and closer to the seat, and a full inch narrower. I no longer fear getting tangled up in the new handlebar setup when I fall off the front, and I’ve been able to push my riding skills more than ever before :sunglasses: . (I finally recognized and confronted my fear of handle bars when riding a demo Oracle 29 at Outerbike earlier this month – it was only equipped with the standard plastic grab handle – and I was able to ride much harder stuff since there was no handlebar to fear. :D)

Bottom line: Expect your preferred wheel size to change over time (generally increasing), and also expect that the type of riding you do will strongly influence both your preferred wheel size and handlebar configuration. Find your sweet spot (in terms of wheelsize) but don’t expect it to stay static as you improve your skills or try riding different terrain/trails.

Incidentally, my N24 now sports a 24" x 3" Felt Berm Master tire and a KH stiffener plate under the Nimbus Gel Saddle. Why? Because it’s now delegated to use for learning new tricks in an urban setting during my lunch hour, and when our trails get too snow-covered or muddy to ride. :roll_eyes:

Back on topics (sort of): The main reason I started this thread was to become aware of any new tire/tyre options for the 24" as they became available. Initially my objective was for MUni. Now I’m more interested in what folks are using on their 24" unis for street/trials.

The Berm Master 24" x 3" is okay for what I’m trying to do/learn on my 24 in the city, but has a bit too rounded a cross-sectional profile for me to give it three stars. The Duro Wildlife is totally wrong (for me) for my city riding on the 24. I wish I could try a Hookworm in 24", and I’m curious about the Halo Twin Rail, the Schwalbe Table Top and the Kenda K-Rad or Kiniption (all in the neighborhood of 24" x 2.2" - 24" x 2.3").

So, back off topic again ;): Any thoughts or observations on these more street-friendly 24" tires/tyres?

Cheers,

UPD in Utah