Odd Unicycles, examples?

Is there a place to see examples of weird Unicycles?

I’ve got a buddy with welding/metalwork business. I’d like to see what goofy stuff has been done to get my creative juices flowing.

I saw that “S” shaped giraffe on ebay. I’ve seen the wheel that looks like 4 shoes as spokes (somewhere on this forum).

Is it just hit and miss, or is there a collection of pix?

there are quite a few on here, john foss’s page

perfect. Thanks.

Does anyone know what that unicycle with the 4 shoes as ‘spokes’ is like to ride? That’d be fun.

Andrew

A four footer is nothing. Tom Miller of the Unicycle Factory has made some eight footers (a wheel made with eight shoes). There is a blurry picture of it here
<http://www.tux.org/~bagleyd/unicycle_factory/custom.html>

It would be interesting to try riding one. I suspect that with the flat shoe soles, it is not a uni that you would want to lean into any turns.

Darren Bedford of Bedford Unicycles has one hanging from the ceiling of his shop (along with 50 other unis…). You could ask him (bedford_unicycles[at]yahoo.ca) what it’s like. Maybe he could even be convinced to bring it to the Bike Show/TOque games this weekend in Toronto.

Later,
Eli.

Bumpy.

I haven’t ridden one of those, but have ridden one of Tom Miller’s 8-footers. Since it has more “feet,” it’s probably a less lumpy ride. Riding a lumpy wheel is like riding rough terrain, but bringing it with you. Plus expect a heavy wheel, so it will be slugglsh.

I rode Darren’s “8-footer” tennis shoed unicycle. It was bumpy. i cannot disagree. but a blast to ride. I tried one-footing, and i just had to try some wheel-walk. The saddle was too high for me, and the unicycle is very very heavy, so i had to do a running mount to get up. turning is definatly very sketchy, all in all, it’s a cool ride.

I wonder what the 4-footer would be like. the wheel must not be very round _
!_!

-Ryan

Does any one know about the Great Y Circus.
Because they have those odd Unicycles too.
Very odd indeed especially the Z shape giraffe Unicycle.
It’s in the Jack Wiley book “The Bicycle Builder’s Bible”.
Near towards the back page. Page 326. 327, 330, 331.
David.
davidjmason@unicyclist.com :sunglasses:

Now that’s sole-to-sole communication!

Some of Tommi Miller’s work, thanks to David Bagley:
http://www.tux.org/~bagleyd/unicycle_factory/custom.html

and

(within a couple of days these will be 404’s so look at them quick)

That is an interesting uni. Why the use of chains like a short giraffe? That just makes it much more complicated to build. Putting the cranks on the wheel like a normal unicycle would have been easier.

Who owns that unicycle?

It looks like it is geared down substantially which would give the rider quite a bit more control over the bumpiness (dead spots).

Here’s a link to a thread about my future seated hand-driven unicycle.

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23008&highlight=seated+handdriven+unicycle

and before that…

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22311&highlight=seated+handdriven+unicycle

It should be lots of fun! I’ll have it completed before UniNats so I can bring it along then.

Andrew

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:24:17 -0600, Memphis Mud
<Memphis.Mud.jczwm@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Is there a place to see examples of weird Unicycles?

Some more here:
<www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/rovermuni.jpg>
<www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/JosephAndToddCampbell.jpg>
<www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/keith.htm>
<www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/Sem_LargeWheel_r.jpg> (you may have to wait a
while for this one, I have a problem uploading)
<www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/muni_small.htm>

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Adult child of alien invaders.

REPOSTED ON FORUM, YOU KNOW WHY

Let’s not have any of that…

Re: Odd Unicycles, examples?

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:24:17 -0600, Memphis Mud
<Memphis.Mud.jczwm@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Is there a place to see examples of weird Unicycles?

Some more here:
<www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/rovermuni.jpg>
<www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/JosephAndToddCampbell.jpg>
<www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/keith.htm>
<www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/Sem_LargeWheel_r.jpg> (you may have to wait a
while for this one, I have a problem uploading)
<www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/muni_small.htm>

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Adult child of alien invaders.

Correction on this one:

I mistakenly labeled it Joseph and Todd Campbell, but that’s not their names. Joseph Campbell was the winner of the first-ever Long Jump competition at NUC '99, and an avid MUni rider. I don’t know if I’ve seen him since then though.

The guys in that picture were at NUC '98 in Monrovia, CA. The dad had built this big wheel for his son to fit on, requiring the chain drive for him to reach. Unfortunately it was his first attempt at making a large wheel, and it wasn’t quite finished yet. But it was an ultra-rare chance to share it with a crowd of experienced riders, so he let several people ride it, including Sem Abrahams and me. But after that, someone was being helped onto it and the wheel tacoed over to the side, and was all done.

Hopefully it got rebuilt and they had some fun with it. Unfortunately I do not know the name of the father and son, though I’m pretty sure they are from the Los Angeles area.

This is great. If there’s more keep em coming!!!

Re: Odd Unicycles, examples?

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:05:52 -0600, johnfoss
<johnfoss.jf1za@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Correction on this one:
>http://tinyurl.com/6ewk
>
>I mistakenly labeled it Joseph and Todd Campbell
Thanks John. I’ll leave it like it is for a while in order not too
break the link. Then I’ll make some sort of correction. If you don’t
mind I will use elements of your text.

Oh and if this or any other picture I use is ©ed by you, let me know
and I’ll be happy to add a credit note. I don’t remember where I got