NYC Unicycle Festival, September 3-6, 2015

Blackthunder:

That was too funny that worked out with the ice cream truck!

This is a pretty well-done video of the Governor’s Island portion of the event:

And here are some interviews before and footage of the bridge ride:

http://www.newslook.com/videos/880420-new-york-unicyclists-come-out-en-masse-for-festival

Hi guys. UDC got the cranks delivered to me on time so I was able to do the Brooklyn Bridge ride. It was great riding with so many other rider.

So you were somewhere in that crowd too!

Great that UDC came through with the cranks, but too bad they weren’t vending at this year’s festival - had really hoped I’d have a chance to see more of their wares in person, but I imagine it can’t be cheap to have a couple of employees drive a van of stuff all the way here.

Really miss riding in the group… have half a mind to try to informally organize some local rides in the coming weeks.

Here are a few pictures from the festival, http://s1081.photobucket.com/user/Greg_Hurley/library/?sort=3&page=1

Hey that was great! One of these days I’d love to be in town for that. I wonder who organized the Sumo matches? I saw that little girl do the pre-fight bow, just like we do it at Unicon. Actually that game, most of the structure we’ve used over the years, was developed on Long Island. :slight_smile:

We ran Sumo the same way it’s done at Unicon.

Is this event happening this year?

http://nycunifest.com/

Jacquie and I were thinking about going this year, but it doesn’t fit for us this time. Got to get to that event one of these days; it looks like it just keeps getting better!

It might be fun to do an optional add-on ride, either before or after, where I could lead a group of interested riders down the Jones Beach Bikeway, from Wantagh to the beach! It’s a great big wheel ride, but can be done with smaller wheel as well. :slight_smile:

Or maybe along the Bethpage Bikeway, or even a Muni ride further north, on what appears to be a network of MTB trails that are now labeled on Google Maps. Fun! I haven’t been on any of those in 20 years though, so I’m sure they’re different…

It appears that onsite vendors disappeared from the festival after 2014. With the UDC truck there, it was a place where, miraculously, you could actually buy unicycles and spare parts in person, and get expert advice from one of the world’s few professional unicycle mechanics.

Great idea, John.

But that sounds like the Long Island Uni Fest.

Ours is the NYC Uni Fest, actually Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Song: Are you doing the Brooklyn Bridge ride Friday?

You’re right of course. Something like that, if it happened, would be an informal add-on. I would love to do some Muni in NYC though. Believe it or not, Central Park was the first place I ever rode on pure rock. Very different from Dirt, gravel or any kind of typical riding surface!

On the vendors thing, I know how it works from the UDC perspective. When events are new, most of the attendees are also new and it’s a much better opportunity for vendors to recoup their costs. For UDC, it’s also a matter of taking staff away from the office for the duration of an event, plus travel time and prep time, and it’s just hard for them. On subsequent years of an event, unless it gets a lot bigger, there aren’t as many sales. Even going to NAUCC is difficult, in part because the convention is so long.

However at Unicon (1800+ registered), it was a great luxury for us attendees to have several vendors there, with much product to choose from! But even there, I think the vendors spend most of their time offering free advice and fixing things. UDC has a couple of Do-It-Yourself tool stations that they put out, which were an extremely popular resource. And it took them at least 2 days to get there (from England).

So there was indeed little info about this event here - it seems that FB is the place for events, shame as it’s perishable info. So on friday, I joined William from Brooklyn who had kindly offered one of his 36" for the ride. We joined the group at the bottom of the bridge - apparently there were 56 of us at start.

We left at 3pm, and by 7pm we reached Coney Island. Lots of stops along the way, which was great - especially for the guys who did the ride on 20" unis!

Don’t have a photo of the group on arrival, but as soon as it’s online, I’ll re-post here. It’s been really good fun to do that ride.

Missed the Governors Island yesterday, might try to do it today. The idea of having workshops is awesome - I would have loved to attend the idling one yesterday, even just to ask questions and get an IRL answer. And a muni workshop? Anytime for me, I have to work on my uphill technique.

It was great to see you on the ride on Friday - sorry to have missed you on the island Saturday but hope you got out there today - after two days in the sun I was feeling worn out and didn’t make it back today.

The bridge portion of Friday’s ride got some great video coverage - they got shots of nearly everyone and especially the variety of the group - William juggling his way across on his 36er with you following on his spare, by being at the end of one of the bunches I lucked out with a ride-by follow shot, and overall they really captured the variety of the group including children with parents running beside, etc.

Ken put hundred of pictures up on the unatics flickr page:

Pierre,

So much fun to ride with you and the gang!

I think you get the award for coming from farthest away!!

Let me know when you’re in NYC next, the uni will be waiting for you!

William

The NYC Unatics has had over 60 people attending meetings, so next year we should get 100 unicyclists crossing the Brooklyn Bridge!!!

Now that would be awesome!
Guess I have to carefully time that weekend… :stuck_out_tongue: