Now I'm tipping to the side...

Sorry for posting so many threads, but now that I’m letting go of the wall, a new problem has occurred.

It didn’t happen at first when I was trying to unicycle without holding on, (I’d almost always tip to the front or back) but later this afternoon, I began occasionally tipping to the side. It’s been getting worse and worse, and now it ALWAYS happens, and I’m worse than I was before starting to let go of the wall. I’ve tried everything, but I can’t seem to fix it.

Is there some key error I’m making that’s causing this? I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong… :thinking:

EDIT: Also, I’m not going really slow.

Try to turn twords where you are falling.

Try putting more air in your tire. You might be surprised by the difference.

Wouldn’t that just make me fall more? I’ll try it…

I’ll try that too.

Okay, the first suggestion made me crash, and the second made me a tiny, tiny bit better. Not counting the slight improvement from inflating the wheel, I have made zero progress whatsoever from the four and a half hours I spent practicing today. This isn’t working. I don’t know what to do…

4 1/2 hours is probably too much for one day being this new of a rider.

if you’re getting frustrated, just stop and try again later. you will never make it frustrated. or tired. you need to rest now and let everything register in your head

but still…only day 3.

id be willin to bet 1 in 100 riders learn in under a week.

Most people do better practicing in short bursts than in marathon sessions. If you tire yourself out, your muscles will no longer work properly, which, combined with not being good at unicycling yet, will make it impossible to get anywhere.

If you practice half an hour a day for the next four or five days, instead of four hours in a row, you’ll probably be in better shape.

Thinking about what you’re doing wrong usually doesn’t help much. But if you’re leaning to the left, your center of gravity is to the left of the center line of your unicycle. To be balanced, you need to get the unicycle back under your center of gravity, which means, as someone else mentioned, you need to turn the unicycle to the left.

It has to be a reflexive motion, which is why thinking about it doesn’t usually help much. Just keep trying, and keep trying to correct when you get imbalanced. Your body will learn more from correcting an imbalance than from falling off.

But in general, just relax and let it come to you. Unicycling is not easy to learn, but have patience and you’ll get there.

How I learned is I held on to a basketball pole and pushed off hard so i would start out going straight and that seemed to help. Just keep practicing and you will learn how to use your hips to turn the direction your leaning.

You should probably just keep practicing. It took me like 2 weeks to be able to ride… Just take your time. Take breaks when you need them. Trust me-- no one is expecting you to have learned to ride this quickly.

when you start tipping, point in that direction with your extended arm and follow that until you right yourself, then point where you want to go. this will be more useful as you start going further. you will start going further when your brain sorts the memory after a successful day of riding during the night’s sleep.This is why we take days to learn new motor skills.
Eventually you will point less and less. you will persevere with patients and stubbornness, or at least the expectation that it will happen. anyone that just gets on one and rides is an alien from beyond this world and should be given the appropriate caution that extraterrestrials should receive. (beware of ray guns and mind control, wear tin foil about the head when around one.)

3 days and you want advice?

Okay, practice every day for three months, then if you are still having trouble, you can ask for advice.

Seriously, unicycling is extremely difficult to learn, probably one of the hardest sports to master. We all learned the same way, through dedication, perseverance, hard work.

If you’re in a hurry to learn, get a bike.

If you wanna ride a unicycle, then practice lots.

I can’t think of any sport which has a higher barrier to entry than unicycling. You can spend two hours practicing before you go 10 feet for the first time. Most people take 10 or more hours to be able to ride at all.

Now, mastery is a different thing. To be a really good snowboarder (or skier, or rock climber or whatever) probably takes a similar amount of practice as it takes to become a really good unicyclist. The difference is that you can get to the point where snowboarding is fun with just an hour or two of practice, and then you can develop your skills while you’re having fun.

This is why one of the characteristics common to all unicyclists is perseverance; we needed it to get past that initial frustration of learning. Without perseverance, we’d be skateboarders.

Saying unicycling is “hard” is a great understatment, but then what’s between impossible and nearly impossible?

I have a loaner uni that I give out freely to folks who want to learn, few persevere, and only a couple went on to get their own uni.

I love riding, but it can be frustrating, and I know how to ride. What gets me more irritated is when I get too tired to ride well, like when I’m out for a long ride on the trails and working hard on rocky terrain or relaly rooty areas.

If I could wish for one thing, it would be to have more endurance, but I think I’m about as fit as I’m gonna get at this point in my life, so maybe moving somewhere a little less humid…

I found when I was learning I would tend to over analyse everything. Every minadvertant twist or movement I would try to account for. Of course, this doesnt work at all and you just end up trying to focus a hundred different things at once. The key is to just relax and not think too much about what you’re doing, just do it!

I’m of the analytical type as well. Analysing what you’re doing doesn’t hinder skill development but it doesn’t help much either. The main thing is that you need practice time, and the reflexes that make you ride will develop themselves without much conscious interference.

If you can’t ride after three days, there’s nothing wrong. That’s perfectly normal. Learning to unicycle is not difficult (this is our little secret), but you need to see yourself through that frustration learning time.

this happens to me whenever i ride my grandfather’s uni:
option one: change tire pressure
option two: check your seat
option three: check your pants. seriously, if you are wearing jeans, they may be getting in the way.
option four: if the others didnt work (unlikely), make sure you are applying equal pressure to each pedal, without too much of your body weight on them.
again, this stuf happens to me too, but only under certain conditions, such as riding a uni with a bike seat. not recommended