Noob Question: Weight on Seat?

howdy,

I have only really just started Unicycling, and am managing shorter distances (200-500 meters) fine, but i cant seem to work out where to put my weight (or the jewels) on the seat to make longer distances more comfortable.

I am riding a Qu-Ax 24" MUni with the stock seat, and i normally mount with my jewels at the top of the seat, over the handle. and try to put my weight on the bonier part just below them. it seems slightly more comfortable if i try to push my pelvis forward so the pressure is more on my behind, but then i seem to lose balance far more easily! is it just a matter of relearning a bit, or was i right the first time!

also, i keep seeing vague mentions of working out the proper seat height, but my quick search didnt really yeild any results. something about bending over the seat? :thinking: how are you supposed to work it out?

thanks!

Wear loose fitting underwear, or none at all. Mount and adjust. Hamg one each side for best balance, and make sure they don’t dangle in the spokes. Weight mainly on the seat for normal riding.

And now for a more serious reply…

Your initial mount sounds correct. Some bike shorts or supportive underwear (I like boxer-briefs) will be helpful in holding your “equipment” as far forward as possible. As long as your “equipment” is out of the way, their orientation in regards to the seat is unimportant.

Depending on the seat you use, your sitbones (the bones on which you rest when sitting on the uni seat) should contact the seat near its center, slightly to the rear of the seat. This can be uncomfortable during longer rides; there are two ways to adjust for comfort:

1. Get a seatbase / post setup (such as a Scott Wallis seatbase, or a rail adaptor) that allows you to tip the seat… as you raise the front of the seat (and drop the rear) gravity will help your sitbones contact the seat closer to the wider part of the seat, at the rear. This gives you more cushion around your sitbones, hence, more comfort.

2. “Scoot” back towards the rear of the seat. Don’t tilt your pelvis too much 'cause you could disrupt your posture and incur some lower back pain after some distance riding. Again, sitting on the wider part of the seat will give you more comfort. You may feel a little awkward while riding this way, but you can get used to it after awhile.

As far as seat height is concerned, it’s a trial and error process for me. Raise the seat until it’s just a little “too high” for you to ride on without falling off. Then lower the seat just a smidgen and see how it feels (with a little ride). Repeat this process until you’re comfortable. Your leg should be fully extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

Now to “remember” this seat height, straddle the unicycle with feet on the ground and see how far up your stomach the seat stands. Mark the seat height on your stomach with a permanent marker, or as Harper recommends, with a tattoo. This will make future seat adjustments quicker and easier. Make sure to note the wheel and crank size next to each height marking, as the seat height will change accordingly.

Good luck!