Non Profit Uni E-SHOP

Perhaps this is where I should release my idea to the public.

I was at my local bike shop over the weekend and noticed the large price difference between Wholesale and Retail. This got me thinking why cant someone start a Non-Low profit Uni/Bike E-shop (Im still working out alot of stuff and dont want to make a promise I cant keep with a Non Profit opperation)

To start I’m gonna try to keep things simple. Preferably I would like to do only custom orders from customers for stuff like Profile Hubs/Cranks, 661 and Roach armor, odyssey and some other Pedal Companies. Perhaps even go as far as talking to Onza/Norco about ordering uni’s and parts from them.

Now by no means do I want to put Unicycle.com out of buisness, what I want to do is something for the good of the sport. Helping other riders like myself who dont have the cash to pay inflated prices that go along with running a large operation. Next week is going to be my big lets get a Buisness plan together and start talking to companies about what it would take to get stuff at wholesale. Hopefully I’ll have some free time with classes :stuck_out_tongue:

Re: Non Profit Uni E-SHOP

> Perhaps this is where I should release my idea to the public.

Why not?

> I was at my local bike shop over the weekend and noticed the large price
> difference between Wholesale and Retail. This got me thinking why cant
> someone start a Non-Low profit Uni/Bike E-shop (I’m still working out
> a lot of stuff and don’t want to make a promise I cant keep with a Non
> Profit operation)

Did you think of any reasons?
>
> To start I’m gonna try to keep things simple. Preferably I would like to
> do only custom orders from customers for stuff like Profile Hubs/Cranks,
> 661 and Roach armor, odyssey and some other Pedal Companies. Perhaps
> even go as far as talking to Onza/Norco about ordering uni’s and parts
> from them.

You’re going to keep things simple by doing only custom orders?
>
> Now by no means do I want to put Unicycle.com out of business, what I
> want to do is something for the good of the sport. Helping other riders
> like myself who don’t have the cash to pay inflated prices that go along
> with running a large operation. Next week is going to be my big lets get
> a Business plan together and start talking to companies about what it
> would take to get stuff at wholesale. Hopefully I’ll have some free time
> with classes :stuck_out_tongue:

I think working on a business plan is a fine idea, and likely to be very
educational, and I wish you the best of luck. As for putting unicycle.com
out of business in your free time… fear not.

That is an awesome idea! And I also wish you good luck. And putting www.unicycle.com out of business can’t happen so no worries eh?:stuck_out_tongue:

Doing custom orders to keep costs down is exactlly what I want to do. And to keep things simple.

As far as I see it by only doing small orders for individuals, stuff my take a bit longer to get, but in the end I wont have to keep an inventory of parts costing hundreds of dollars to initally buy and then more costs, and inconvienednes to store. If I could offer a profile hub and crank for 225+shipping vr 300 and still you have shipping. For me $75 is alot of food and other things that I need.

Bike shops near me do custom orders for people all the time, they cant carry everything in stock so they order stuff and charge you retail for it.

The only difference i see in what I want to do from custom orders you would do at your local bike shop is I dont want money from you guys. The only money I would be asking for is that to cover the costs of shipping things and the amount I pay for them. I think I would probably be able to work something out with Paypal so people could pay by credit (2.2% of the amount and some change per transaction) I would just forward parts to you via UPS or Fedex.I’m going to be contacting the Bike League for some assitance on this one. I figure they might be able to help me with the Leagal, and the in’s and outs of running a non profit orginization.

This is still in the planning stages. Your help to get this off the ground would be great. Some of you guys have alot more expertiece in trying something like this then a 19 year old College student in Pittsburgh. I just would like to see Uni/Muni accesable to all not just thoes of us with 1500 to splurge on a unicycle.

Honestly I could see this taking a year to sort out all the things I need to get this running, but if you dont try. You have already lost.

Please deal with me here sometimes Im gonna ramble. This thread is still in the Hopefull dreams stage.

Re: Non Profit Uni E-SHOP

— Checkernuts
<Checkernuts.aa05a@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
>
> Doing custom orders to keep costs down is exactlly
> what I want to do.
> And to keep things simple.
>

Thank you,

man, college would be great without all these classes
and high costs, ehh?

seriously, if you put something like this together, im
in.

later,

=====
Nick Cegelka

Pyrotechnick13@yahoo.com

NickLikesFire AIM

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Finance - Get real-time stock quotes

talk to unicycle .com and find out what things have low profit margins/low demand. these are the things that would be realy nice to sell for non profit, because there are people who want them, and it would mean that you would avoid treading on anyones toes.

i’m thinking about stuff like unicycle handles that cost so much to make that there not a profitable line.

however you might have a bit of trouble with just in time ordering. things like unicycle frame can only be bought in big quantities