No unicycles allowed... the irony.

Most of the time they don’t care or notice. Most people don’t know either. I mean a 20" unicycle is so small it logically shouldn’t treated like a bike, but it’S still on the paperwork.

Removing the saddle or putting a garbage bag (or 2) over the uni works great and it’s fast.

That’s why I didn’t argue. :wink:

…and finally I’ve found the link Resource Hub | IMBA

It is his fault indeed ! Back in 2004-2005 when “monocycle” was not even mentioned in the STM rules, he used to ride trials in the metro with Julien Renaud. Then he got kicked out, argued that it was written no where that he couldn’t ride AND next thing we know, (the year after, or I don’t know when…) “monocycle” is added to the rules.

Yes, but lately there has been more security in the metro, possibly because of the strike, and I have been asked a couple of times now to wait for the end of the rush hours. If I don’t have garbage bags on me (which, surprisingly, happens quite often) I just ride to the next station.

We have been kicked out of almost every skyscrapers’ entrance in Montreal, private squares, parks, indoor parking lots, schools, and once a skatepark, for the same reasons as tmoyer. Usually, we try to be very respectful, in case we plan to go back there, but mostly because we don’t want security guards to think we have the same mentality as skateboarders/skaters/BMX’ers.

The one thing none of these studies have covered and which I’ve observed in my own trail system is the relative behavior of cyclists versus foot traffic when it comes to obstacles in the trail. Now I’ve run in this trail system both before and since bicycles were allowed and I’ve come to notice something quite interesting. In the park there are several remote sections of trail that don’t see trail maintenance all too often, if ever. In places in these sections there are blow downs or fallen tree across the trail. In the past, before wheeled traffic was allowed I’d never observe any appreciable trail widening around these obstacles. Hikers and runners alike would just step over the fallen tree and continue on the trail. However, in more recent years I’ve noticed a shift in the behavior; now there are many “work around” paths cut around the blow downs and most of the time they’ve been created by cyclists as evidenced by the abundant wheel tracks. Is this good? Is this bad? That’s debatable. Really if more trail maintenance were performed including removing the blow down then the cyclists wouldn’t be compelled to cut a work around trail. So other than that I really haven’t noticed any appreciable difference on trail erosion with respect to either user group; the biggest enemy is that our trails haven’t been built in a sustainable manner as they pre-date all those best practices by IMBA. So natural erosion due to rain/flooding are the biggest culprits. Water sure can erode a trail in no time! The biggest issue I have with wet trail use is the fact that people feel compelled to avoid the center line puddles and go wide around them. This leads to damage on either side of the trail and eventually the trail is effectively widened. This is very bad and ugly. Now again, the puddles wouldn’t persist with proper trail maintenance but the fact remains that people need to be educated to avoid trail widening. If there is a puddle, just go straight through; that’s what I try to teach my friends and anybody else I’m running with on the trails. I say, hey, we’re on the trails we’re supposed to get wet and muddy so why avoid it?

I would simply respect the wishes of someone maintaining a parcel of land. It is really simple.

Impacts of hiking and biking on trails are different. Hikers, for example, are a lot more likely to take short-cuts through switchbacks. But the overall impact is similar in scope. That’s in contrast to equestrian use, which is very clearly worse than either hiking or biking.

Yeah, I mean, how darn hard is it to rig up something to catch the horse poop while your on a public trail? You’re expected to clean up after your dog when they take a dump, so why should it be okay to leave a heaping pile of horse crap right in the path where people are trying to unicycle! :angry:

Also their hoof-prints have caused me to UPD in the past, although that’s probably more of an issue with my riding abilities :stuck_out_tongue:

I ride daily - commuting and recreation. As the years have gone by I have gained an amount of notoriety d familiarity on the streets which reduces toa minimum the number of authorities caught by surprise. I have also read up on rules and regulations and also had a couple of policies modified for unicyclists. I ride right to the sliding door at work every morning and say gidday to Mick on security desk. I often ride right to the escalator in the train station. I wave to the cycle cops in the busy pedestrian mall more days than not. I ride amongst pedestrians and shoppers without ever impinging on them and never any contact and never get anything except quizzical looks or a friendly acknowledgement. I almost never have any issue with anyone at all.

If I pass a skate park and the kids notice me they laugh and wave and say things like “Cool” and “awesome” and “What the…” and invite me over.

On rare occasions I have had cops address my lack of helmet and new transport security officer challenge me on peak hour trains or on buses and they invariably accept what I say about rules and policies. Remarkably I am yet to have a cop challenge me riding on the road (also legal).

I am sixty and I am gently persuasive and not easily upset. That probably helps a lot.

You guys should all move over and join me in Perth in Western Australia. :sunglasses:

I read that you were old and cranky. :wink:

But that’s how we do things in Australia. The quietest bloke in the group is called “Rowdy” and the bloke with red hear is called “Blue”.

So Iam OldnCranky because I am and I am not.

Thanks for straightening that all out for me! Got it.

Antipodal reasoning.

At a ferry terminal in Malaysia, we weren’t kicked out for riding unicycles, but rather for leaning our unicycles against the wall. This is fair and understandable because they had a clearly marked place for ‘cycles’ to go…

Some might say that using australian and reasoning in the same sentence is an oxymoron. :smiley:

Does any other state have laws such as this in there books as does alaska? has anyone had any success changing it? it is unfortunate because in AK any road between towns, and there is usually one road, is considered a “highway” in AK. Even the Denali Highway i road this summer which is over 100 miles of dirt. luckily didn’t have to test it with a trooper.

13 AAC 02.395. Riding On Bicycles And Certain Non-motorized Conveyances.
e) No person may operate a unicycle, coaster, roller skates, or similar device on a highway.

In NZ there are roads designated as “motorway” and bikes are not technically allowed. Some of the motorways have been created just to attain funding from the national land transport money rather than having to use regional money, like one just outside of New Plymouth which goes for about 1km. Our cycle advocacy group managed to get it changed (I think) but it is much more difficult to remove legislation or motorways than to put them in. I don’t think the rule was ever enforced, as even major cycle events would go straight through the no cycling motorway without taking an awkward detour to avoid it.

This type of transport should be encouraged.
Ban “no cycling” rules!

:p;):smiley:

Unicycles are specifically banned from the library at my old university. Not that I ever rode it inside, and it was easier to take it inside than tie it up if I knew exactly what I was looking (which I usually did…). Ah well. They say forming policy is good.

I am more interested in finding out who got “No roller-skating on the roof of any library buildings” into the rulebook.

That’s funny! The YMCA in my city actually has a circus, with unicyclers and the such.